Thread: The ever rotating band member

User Info Menu

Default The ever rotating band member

I guess its inevitable if you stay with 1 band long enough that 1 position of the band will turn into some kind of revolving door.

With us it's bass which kind of sucks because it's hard to find a guy that plays the instrument the way it should be played, as in no lead bass please... just my opinion... but I play best with good low driving bass lines that ties it all together.

Anybody have a problem keeping one part of the band from not changing every 6 months?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: The ever rotating band member

I hear you about the lead bass stuff.. Unless it's funk music I guess.. You see a lot of virtuoso bassist getting way up in the high register and that's pretty much a no go zone unless you know what you are doing haha But one thing I do miss is if you look back on a lot of bassist and the parts that they would play in the 70s.. I'm thinking of James Jammerson and the guy that played bass on that song "Age of Aquarius" man could those guy just tear up a bass and yet everything they played was so tasteful and melodic.. I miss that in today's music and sadly I don't think it's gonna come back.. It's like those years were the golden age of Bass playing.. All the Mo town stuff.. They just don't write em like that anymore. :-(
    ================================================== ====================================

I guess I should clarify something.. when I say a bassist shouldn't play hghi up the neck.. I meant he shouldn't stay up there! All the instruments and vocals and cymbals are fighting for space in the stereo field. My dad had a bass player that wouldn't learn all the songs just fake his way thru it.. and everybody wanted my dad to fire him.. But he wouldn't do it.. Nope.. Dale the bass player was also a tv repair man and he could fix a broke amplifier on the fly during a break! Handy guy.. I guess you can hide a bad bass player but don't try hiding a bad singer or a lead player!
    Last edited by wired; 07-09-2018 at 08:32 AM.

User Info Menu

"Lead bass", classic . Tough to find a good bass player. For us it's lead guitar guy. Plenty of good ones, but, tough to find one that doesn't think he is the only dude in the band.......

User Info Menu

Been lucky so far....only had one guy leave due to family issues. Unfortunately, he was pretty integral to our sound and identity. We replaced him with a better lead guitar player, but the new guy is nowhere near as versitile. Where do you find a guy that can finger pick Bluegrass on acoustic, play fiddle on Country AND smoke on electric guitar leads on Blues and Rock? Oh, and sing it all as well, LOL. Plus, he was young and could load equipment without breaking a sweat.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I can relate. I've been in a band that's been through 3 bass players but the 3rd time proved a charm. Now the band is incredible and the bass player fits right in. It's hard to be patient in the music game but often good things come to those who wait.

Hope you'll find the right player soon.

User Info Menu

Nothing is more valuable to a drummer than a good Bass player, IMO.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Stroke View Post
    I can relate. I've been in a band that's been through 3 bass players but the 3rd time proved a charm. Now the band is incredible and the bass player fits right in. It's hard to be patient in the music game but often good things come to those who wait.

Hope you'll find the right player soon.
    I have been in the same situation. One of my bands went through 3 bass players as well, but the 3rd one, who I recommended since I know him from back in my college band days, when he was a member of a band playing at the same venues as us, has turned out to be a significant upgrade. Not only is he a monster player with tons of experience, he has a Masters in Theory and plays guitar and other instruments and sings as well. He comes prepared for his parts and frequently shows the other players their parts. With him I am confident we can go out as a 4 piece if a female singer is not available.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I've only been in one band so far but we've had two different names and been through six different musicians it's hard to find people here who want to put the time in