Thread: Very cool moment for my son

User Info Menu

Default Very cool moment for my son

So my son and my drum instructor's band had an outdoor gig last night at a really nice local amphitheater. I told him we were going to come and see him play out and he asked if we could get there a little early. We showed up 45 minutes prior to show time and the band was doing last minute sound checks, etc. When he saw us, he called my son up on stage and had him sit behind the kit and play for a bit so he could make sure the mix was good on the mics. At this point there were at least 100-150 people there (they ended up with 750 for the gig). My son was nervous as could be, but he did great! He just laid down some basic tight grooves for a couple of minutes, then our instructor thanked him and we went and watched the show. Between sets our instructor came and found us and said he wanted to keep my son up there longer but he could tell he was nervous in front of the crowd. By the end of the night my son was able to admit that while he was really nervous/scared, he was glad he got to do it.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Very cool moment for my son

I worked with a guitar player who, before every new gig, would throw up, and he did it for 32 years.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I worked with a guitar player who, before every new gig, would throw up, and he did it for 32 years.
    I know a guitarist guy like that in a rival band here in town.
    I was surprised to find out that he would do that because I did some studio work with him back in 2002 or so and he was not like that at all.................good player.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

That's awesome. Tell him to keep on keeping on!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. My son was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder when he was 5. He wouldn't look up from the floor at school, was always nervous in public, awkward with strangers, etc. He has come a long way with the help of counseling, and is now considered "normal" (no school iep, graduated from counseling, etc.). He has a ton of friends and is very social and comfortable in school, but stuff like this still is uncomfortable for him. The fact that he did it is HUGE. I couldn't have been prouder of him last night even if he had stayed up there and played the opening song.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I know a guitarist guy like that in a rival band here in town.
    I was surprised to find out that he would do that because I did some studio work with him back in 2002 or so and he was not like that at all.................good player.

He said that he had this fear that he would screw up so bad that there would be no way to fix it and we would never get another gig.

Once he hit the stage and we started playing, he was fine. We still talk a couple of times a month, in fact, he's the 1 that started the "Deja Vu--Twilight Zone" thing in my life.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    The fact that he did it is HUGE. I couldn't have been prouder of him last night even if he had stayed up there and played the opening song.
    Yes -- a big step.
    Only adds to the confidence.
    Good story !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    That happened to me for a few months when I first started playing out. It eventually got better and went away completely. The last time I played out in 2011 at a tribute for a band mate that passed away I got pretty bad anxiety. Never had that happen before. Now I can't play in front of people at all.

User Info Menu

That's so great. Glad he got up and performed.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

That's awesome he should be proud