Thread: Cheap Rogers kit

User Info Menu

Default Cheap Rogers kit

My buddy made a deal with a guy.. Traded some van parts and he got an old Rogers made in Taiwan kit and a wore out Pearl export kit and lots of other gear,, I agreed to buy the Roger's kit for a 100 bucks.. I have a nice Tama kit but I was kind of wanting an old woody sounding Slingerland -ludwig kit without spending the big bucks! But these drums seem to sound alright. Got a little punch to them. The wrap on the bass drum is all wrinkly and bubbling up so I was thinking I might get some Gold sparkle wrap from Jamming Sam and redo the whole kit. Can anybody tell me anything good about the Roger Taiwan kits?
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cheap Rogers kit

In 1998, the Rogers name was acquired by the Brook Mays Music Company ("BMMC") of Dallas, TX. Jim Rosenthal, then VP Marketing for BMMC identified the opportunity to purchase the name and revitalize the brand. BMMC began the brand as a low-cost, but high quality import line of beginner drum sets that were sold exclusively through the company's own chain of music stores. The first kits were manufactured by Peace Drums of Taiwan. The drums sold successfully because many drummers (especially younger ones) wanted Rogers kits and the kits were excellent value.

User Info Menu

cool... I was just trying to figure out if they are worth putting any more money into.. or should I park then along sides my cb 700 wore out crap kit in the storage shed..

User Info Menu

I miss Brook Mays.. I mostly bought music books from them.. When they were closing down in Mesquite Texas I offered them 800 bucks on an American made black strat like Eric Clapton use to play.. maybe they should of took my offer seeing how they were so hard up for money!

User Info Menu

Oh I almost forgot.. this kit has the old Peace cymbals.. so hmm maybe that's a good sign!

User Info Menu

Maybe not sure but I would keep them till you find out more on them. Good news in a couple of more years and they will be Vintage.

User Info Menu

Tell me about you CB 700 drum kit
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Are there badges on the kit to indicate how old they are? Rogers was selling a line of import (R360 & R380) kits back in the late ‘60s and ‘70s. The early ones were built by Yamaha. Then they switched to Taiwan. Early ones have a little value and are solid...pretty much like any vintage MIJ kit, but typically not a lot. The later Taiwan versions don’t seem to carry much interest.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I think they are the later Taiwan versions. and I'm also thinking that they came from the Brook Mays in Mesquite Tx back in the day. I don't have them with me they are still at my friends house. But it seemed like the badges were nothing more than stickers. I think they will be a decent kit. And they will look really good re wrap..

The CB700 hundred kit needs to be re wrap as well. They are in really poor shape they could use some new lugs and one tom needs a new bearing edge cut.. sounds like crap
    I had a friend though that had a double bass CB700 with a load of concert toms and his kit sounded pretty good. I think he got like 500 to 600 hundred when he sold the kit.. It was a white wrap and had like 7 toms to it. So yeah not all CB700 kits sound like crap.

User Info Menu

If you find it of no significant value to anyone else, use it as a project kit, like you are thinking. (for the record I agree with your line of thinking on this.) Embellish it with as much "fix it up" as you care to put into it and cherish it for the project you have accomplished. It'll be one of your best kits.

Or if you junk it, I might be interest in your "donation".
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Yep, the market value only means something if you’re looking to turn a profit. Unless you’re restoring a high end vintage USA kit, you’ll never come out ahead in terms of monetary value.
    However, there is value and satisfaction in fixing up an old cheap kit, which makes it worth it. Many of us here have done it.
    For reference and maybe inspiration, here’s a couple pics of two kits that I assembled from $30 worth of old mismatched Taiwan shells. The red one (13/16/22) is stained & lacquered. The Turquoise Bop kit (8/13/16) is made from a 16” floor tom, 13” rack tom and a 10” tom from a child’s kit. It’s actually spray painted with Krylon, LOL. I’ve gigged many times with both.

B589D92E-8306-4E24-A1EB-91D9AFD7B15E.jpg
    86ACB2B3-FA53-42DD-A624-8FDFE32AEA6D.jpg
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham