Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Snare drum upgrade

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare drum upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    If it’s in nice shape, that’s about right. You did good.
    Thanks! On the pictures it looked clean. Just minor dots that I can clean with polish on the rims. Hopefully it's round. I'll see when it arrives.

User Info Menu

I'd like to add a 3 piece kit to upgrade from my Yamaha. What would be great for the studio? New or used I don't mind. I do not wish to overspend. Would like to stay around 1000 euro. Definitely below 1600. I think buying from Europe new would be cheaper than importing from the USA used due to high shipping costs.

User Info Menu

Your Euro is worth 1.16 USD so you have some buying power but like you mention the shipping cost might work to be even. I live in Canada and my dollar is only .74 cents in the US. For me to buy in the US would be too expensive and then the shipping, duties etc makes it not the worth the expense. So look around online and see what you can find in the US and then you can decide which is cheaper. Good luck

User Info Menu

The shipping of a drum kit is around €400 from USA which outweighs any buying power. Also, stuff here tends to be: if it costs $500 then here we pay about €500. Apart from duties and other things.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ex351d View Post
    Hopefully it's round. I'll see when it arrives.
    You might want to make sure of this before you purchase it. Have him send you pictures showing the measurements between each pair of lugs on both sides of the drum.

User Info Menu

It’s pretty hard for those of us in the USA to know what’s available in your market or the European market. That budget would allow for a pretty nice 3pc kit. I’d guess that important brands like Mapex and Pearl are reasonable? What about Sonor? Or a good high end used Premier?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Kind of ironic that Sabian is cheaper in the US than Canada.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

It’s pretty hard for those of us in the USA to know what’s available in your market or the European market. That budget would allow for a pretty nice 3pc kit. I’d guess that important brands like Mapex and Pearl are reasonable? What about Sonor? Or a good high end used Premier?
    I'm not sure which range I should look into of any of these brands. If it is not a significant step up from my Yamaha then it is not worth the money. The problem with my kit is getting a great floor Tom sound. The high toms sound decent and the kick is nice and full but the floor Tom sounds weird.

User Info Menu

Your Yamaha Rydeen kit is the most basic, entry level kit. It’s a good quality kit, but it’s inexpensive by design. The shells are soft Poplar wood with thin 1.5mm hoops and only 6 lugs on the floor tom (I suspect). That said, any kit that is not a student/entry kit will be an upgrade. You have nowhere to go but up!
    Since you seem to record more, I would look at something made from Birch or Maple. Intermediate and pro level kits will have 6 lugs on the 10” & 12” toms and 8 lugs on the floor tom. If you mess around with the tuning and head selection, you may be able to even get a good sound out of your current Rydeen floor tom. I truly believe that 95% of getting a good sound is heads & tuning. Even cheap drums can sound killer if properly tuned. On the inverse, the highest priced pro kit can sound like doo-doo with the wrong heads and poor tuning.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Your Yamaha Rydeen kit is the most basic, entry level kit. It’s a good quality kit, but it’s inexpensive by design. The shells are soft Poplar wood with thin 1.5mm hoops and only 6 lugs on the floor tom (I suspect). That said, any kit that is not a student/entry kit will be an upgrade. You have nowhere to go but up!
    Since you seem to record more, I would look at something made from Birch or Maple. Intermediate and pro level kits will have 6 lugs on the 10” & 12” toms and 8 lugs on the floor tom. If you mess around with the tuning and head selection, you may be able to even get a good sound out of your current Rydeen floor tom. I truly believe that 95% of getting a good sound is heads & tuning. Even cheap drums can sound killer if properly tuned. On the inverse, the highest priced pro kit can sound like doo-doo with the wrong heads and poor tuning.
    Yes it has 6 lugs on the floor Tom. I have tried several times tuning the floor Tom, but i can never get it right.

User Info Menu

Floor toms are by nature harder to tune than the smaller toms. There’s just more surface area to try to manipulate. Having only 6 lugs on a 16” will make it harder.
    What are the readily available brands that you have available in your market...or the European market?
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Floor toms are by nature harder to tune than the smaller toms. There’s just more surface area to try to manipulate. Having only 6 lugs on a 16” will make it harder.
    What are the readily available brands that you have available in your market...or the European market?
    The stores I frequent have Mapex, Yamaha and Sonor in stock. There is another shop that stocks DW and Premier, but each time I went in, the prices were about 25% above Thomann prices. The other shops offer price match. I frequently buy from Thomann too, anything I cannot find locally. I'm willing to try second hand online but only from Europe if the shipping is reasonable.

If it helps, I'm in Malta.

User Info Menu

The stores I frequent have Mapex, Yamaha and Sonor in stock. There is another shop that stocks DW and Premier, but each time I went in, the prices were about 25% above Thomann prices. The other shops offer price match. I frequently buy from Thomann too, anything I cannot find locally. I'm willing to try second hand online but only from Europe if the shipping is reasonable.

If it helps, I'm in Malta.
    Wow, I must say you're way out of reach when it comes to getting the drum items you need. Italy probably has more than Sicily. I'm just the opposite, I'm in Southern California. 10 min drive from Remo headquarters, 1 hr. drive from DW drums and access to dozens of music stores. I wish you all the best in your future percussion searches! The Mediterranean looks pretty cool though!

User Info Menu

The stores I frequent have Mapex, Yamaha and Sonor in stock.
    All three make excellent snare drums.
    My guess is your best value is going to be the BP series from Mapex.........................maybe ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Kind of ironic that Sabian is cheaper in the US than Canada.
    The reason for that is the Canadian dollar is week. The Americans buy the Sabians cymbals at a great deal with their strong dollar. e.g 1 canadian is worth .74 in the states so the American dollar is worth 1.26.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    The reason for that is the Canadian dollar is week. The Americans buy the Sabians cymbals at a great deal with their strong dollar. e.g 1 canadian is worth .74 in the states so the American dollar is worth 1.26.
    It's .77 and 1.30. Sorry, I just have an OCD numbers thing. Drives me​ nuts too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    It's .77 and 1.30. Sorry, I just have an OCD numbers thing. Drives me​ nuts too.
    I was close but it changes alot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Wow, I must say you're way out of reach when it comes to getting the drum items you need. Italy probably has more than Sicily. I'm just the opposite, I'm in Southern California. 10 min drive from Remo headquarters, 1 hr. drive from DW drums and access to dozens of music stores. I wish you all the best in your future percussion searches! The Mediterranean looks pretty cool though!
    Yes, we are a bit isolated, but modern modes of transport made it reasonable to get stuff here. Getting stuff from most of the EU countries is not a big of a problem. Some gear there is no local shop that stocks them so I have to buy from another country. Being so close the these big companies must be really nice.

Of course there are some disadvantages here, but we have other perks too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    All three make excellent snare drums.
    My guess is your best value is going to be the BP series from Mapex.........................maybe ?
    I have decided to go for a ludwig Acrolite. I am looking for a kit. Even a 3 piece kit is enough for me. A BP kit is sadly beyond my budget.

User Info Menu

Try a thicker head on your current floor tom. I’ve had good success with Remo pinstripes on budget kits.

I’d look into the Yamaha Stage Customs if you want something new. Best package for the price out there right now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    Try a thicker head on your current floor tom. I’ve had good success with Remo pinstripes on budget kits.

I’d look into the Yamaha Stage Customs if you want something new. Best package for the price out there right now.
    Thank you for the reply! Before going for a particular model, I'd like to know which sizes are best for blues/pop and rock. Also, if maple or birch is better and how many plies of wood is best for studio use! I know that Yamaha Stage Custom are highly recommended, but they seem to be cheep, almost the same price point that I bought the Rydeen. Would they be a significant improvement over my current kit? If I go with Yamaha it would be great as I can buy them locally.

The pinstripes offer more muting? At the moment I am using Coated Ambassador on toms and snare with a clear Ambassador as resonant heads. Which snare head would be better to make the entire kit sound uniform?