Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snare drum upgrade

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare drum upgrade

If you absolutely have to have a metal snare drum, pick up anything you find where the strainer, lugs and hoops are in good shape. Hint, Steel will be bright, Aluminum will be more muted and brass will and can sound as good as any wood drum on the market, according to my experiences with the different brands.

Change out the heads and your choice of heads will determine how good it sounds.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    If you absolutely have to have a metal snare drum, pick up anything you find where the strainer, lugs and hoops are in good shape. Hint, Steel will be bright, Aluminum will be more muted and brass will and can sound as good as any wood drum on the market, according to my experiences with the different brands.

Change out the heads and your choice of heads will determine how good it sounds.
    I'd like to get a metal drum only because the wooden ones seem to have a lot of texture. I am looking for more punch than texture. But I am asking as I do not wish to buy something that is not fit for my uses. I really like the sound of copper and copper alloys. I haven't pulled the trigger on these as I suspect that I should go with Aluminium for a nice punchy tone as copper have a lot of texture too. Also, the supraphonic sounds really punchy but could be a bit over the top, the Acrolite sounds like it is dialed back. I am not going to record metal music, I do not want to sound like a rifle shot. Something that goes well with pop, blues and some rock.

I have nowhere to try snares locally I have to rely on online vids. From my guitar experience, the sound of gear trough a mic does no justice to some of the better gear. If you have something great, with just a dynamic mic it just sounds OK but not as huge as in real life.

Then there is the other consideration. I'm an Electric guitar player, my first acoustic had a cedar top. In the stores it sounded so warm and full, it sounded way better than instruments 3 times its price. After my first couple of recordings, I found out it is so dark that it muddies the mix. Ended up buying a spruce top guitar (which is the more common wood). I am asking here so that I do not be the idiot who buys the piece of gear that I think it sounds good, just like I did with the acoustic guitar. Then end up not using it as it is not the right tool for my needs.

What skins would you recommend? I use remo single plys. coated top and clear bottom on all drums with some moon gel

User Info Menu

Yep. The old Acrolites are fantastic and plentiful...at least around here. Most are Black Galaxies that were student issue (and like new). Occasionally I run across an older B/O badge silver one. $129 can buy you the nicest one of the lot. The aluminum does have a warm & dry sound as compared to a steel snare.

I also have a new 14x8 Supralite (chrome/Steel) that I picked up for $149. They are fantastic as well...lots of ring, but zero nasty overtones. Bright and warm. I’d take one over an Acrolite any day. In fact, I decided to go with a brand new 13x6 Supralite over the 13x7 Pork Pie Brass Patina. It was $130 less and sounded better to me. I’m gonna throw on a set of cast hoops and see what happens. It’s showing up on UPS tomorrow.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

LUDWIG rules metal snare world!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    Iv been playing a Yamaha recording custom Aluminum 14x6.5 for the last year and it has slowly replaced every other snare I have.
    I am considering getting the 5.5 version. I am really impressed with that snare ...

User Info Menu

My favorite snare is an old Vintage Slingerland 14x 5 steel with interior damper. Lots of snap,crackle pop and sounds great with any genre of music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    LUDWIG rules metal snare world!
    I agreed with you until last year when I ordered this one..................
    Gretsch USA #G4169B pure bronze 6.5X14, cast hoops, 42-snare wire, micro throw, 20-lug version................immaculate !

20171012_170258.jpg

G4169B[1].jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Oh, and then there are these
    6885.jpg

User Info Menu

LOL. All the choices.

So confusing.

Nice looking snares drums all around.

Here's my Blackrolite and oddly, it's for sale. Refurbished anything that didn't work including new heads and strainer wires. Cleaned it up nicely. Comes with snare stand and bag. $150.00 shipped to CONUS.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Oh, and then there are these
    6885.jpg
    So if their maple drums are Mapex, and their birch drums are Birpex, what do you call this thing ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    So if their maple drums are Mapex, and their birch drums are Birpex, what do you call this thing ?
    Beatuppex.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

acrolites are easily 4x that price here

thats crazy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Yep. The old Acrolites are fantastic and plentiful...at least around here. Most are Black Galaxies that were student issue (and like new). Occasionally I run across an older B/O badge silver one. $129 can buy you the nicest one of the lot. The aluminum does have a warm & dry sound as compared to a steel snare.

I also have a new 14x8 Supralite (chrome/Steel) that I picked up for $149. They are fantastic as well...lots of ring, but zero nasty overtones. Bright and warm. I’d take one over an Acrolite any day. In fact, I decided to go with a brand new 13x6 Supralite over the 13x7 Pork Pie Brass Patina. It was $130 less and sounded better to me. I’m gonna throw on a set of cast hoops and see what happens. It’s showing up on UPS tomorrow.
    Popsicle stick, Brian, popsicle stick. All of my snares are metal, from a Black Beauty SS to a Black Magic to a Supralite to a Acrolite to a DynoSonic to a Black Panther. I have used all of them in my videos and I doubt that you hear any "ring".
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Popsicle stick, Brian, popsicle stick. All of my snares are metal, from a Black Beauty SS to a Black Magic to a Supralite to a Acrolite to a DynoSonic to a Black Panther. I have used all of them in my videos and I doubt that you hear any "ring".
    where can I hear to these vids?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    acrolites are easily 4x that price here

thats crazy
    yeah a new one costs around 600 Euro and a used one around 400!

User Info Menu

Rick has all kinds of videos under the drum video section. It is worth the look cause Rick has 50 years of drumming under his belt.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 07-27-2018 at 12:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    A metal snare without any ring is like quiet sex. It has it’s place, but it’s not the full experience!

I throw a moongel on for a few songs, but I let it ring as much as I can when I play live. It sounds excessive behind the kit, but out in front of the stage it really gives it a nice full sound. To me, it’s like the wash of a good ride cymbal. What I like about the Supralite snares is the clean tone of the ring.

And look what showed up on UPS yesterday at my office
    D042BA81-5371-48C5-9F01-AE213B1E13CC.jpg
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

"A metal snare without any ring is like quiet sex. It has it’s place, but it’s not the full experience!"

Wanna bet???

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Chloroform doesn’t count...
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Chloroform doesn’t count...
    You would have loved Saigon!!!!

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

A metal snare without any ring is like quiet sex. It has it’s place, but it’s not the full experience!

I throw a moongel on for a few songs, but I let it ring as much as I can when I play live. It sounds excessive behind the kit, but out in front of the stage it really gives it a nice full sound. To me, it’s like the wash of a good ride cymbal. What I like about the Supralite snares is the clean tone of the ring.

And look what showed up on UPS yesterday at my office
    D042BA81-5371-48C5-9F01-AE213B1E13CC.jpg
    Nice snare. So I should record without any snare muting?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Rick has all kinds of videos under the drum video section. It is worth the look cause Rick has 50 years of drumming under his belt.
    Sory, I'm new to the site. Thanks, I'll have a look!

Edit: Cannot find the links to the videos
    Last edited by ex351d; 07-28-2018 at 09:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ex351d View Post
    Nice snare. So I should record without any snare muting?
    Thanks! I’m completely the wrong guy to ask or give any advice about recording. I’m just a weekend gig player in a crappy bar band, LOL. Everything I do is live with no mic’ing. My guess is that you’ll want some type of muting if you have a close mic on it.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Took a risk and ordered a 1990s black galaxy acrolite from the USA. Is $155 a fair price?

User Info Menu

If it’s in nice shape, that’s about right. You did good.
    -Brian