Thread: Cover bands

User Info Menu

Default Cover bands

What is more popular Classic rock cover bands of 60s, 70s and 80s or todays music or a mix of both?
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cover bands

Gotta mix 'em! Though back in the 90's I was in a classic rock band but we leaned towards the current songs that were popular of the 90's. we did it all! I know we had close to 200 songs in reserve. By playing the current stuff we got a lot of gigs. That's because nobody else was doing what we did in our area. Songs by LIT,Ginblossims,Toad the wet sprocket, Live, Matchbox 20,Red Hot Chili Peppers. The list goes on and on!

User Info Menu

Mix
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I stopped listening to radio a long time ago... I'd be lost in a cover band that plays anything after around 92.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Might depend out what part of the country you’re in. Around here, if you’re only playing classic rock (60’s & 70’s) your venue choices will be quite limited. Here, what venues seem to want is 90’s-2,000’s tunes with a few truly “classic rock” tunes thrown in. Some places will only book you if you play dance pop. Needless to say, I don’t call those places.

User Info Menu

Around here, calling yourself a "classic rock" band is a good way to keep your weekends free. Every venue wants bands that distinguish themselves with some kind of music that gets people to move. Country, funk, reggae, disco, R&B, anything but classic rock. Of course if you can consistently pack the place and your crowd drinks, you could fart in the microphone for all they care.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Around here, calling yourself a "classic rock" band is a good way to keep your weekends free. Every venue wants bands that distinguish themselves with some kind of music that gets people to move. Country, funk, reggae, disco, R&B, anything but classic rock. Of course if you can consistently pack the place and your crowd drinks, you could fart in the microphone for all they care.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    I agree! Southern California is a fierce competition area! You got to be versatile.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    Of course if you can consistently pack the place and your crowd drinks, you could fart in the microphone for all they care.
    That is for those of you that think that the bar scene is about the music (covers or originals).

User Info Menu

We "retired" our band in 2005. Right up to the end, I was amazed at how many times, over a lot of years, we were asked to play songs from the , "60's, '70's, and '80's. At the same time, we never considered ourselves a "Classic Rock" band.

If we started our band today, I haven't a clue as to what we would be playing. IMHO, we played at a good time, and called it quits at the right time.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Rick, if I would of kept playing I definitely would still be playing music of the 60,70 and 80's. After that era to me music was never the same. Even today my Sirius radio on my car is set for 60,70,80 cause I still live in that wonderful era that keeps me young at heart for music lol.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info guys.
    Conrad