Thread: Floor monitor fans

User Info Menu

Default Floor monitor fans

So I know someone has had to have turned a floor monitor into a working fan to help keep band members cool during a show before, or someone makes them for purchase, right?

I ask because a friend and his band played an outdoor gig last night and the heat/humidity was terrible even at 7pm. (Heat index was 107)

I know we drummers use fans a lot, but what about something like this for the guitar player, bassist, etc? It was something he and I discussed as a way to have fans on stage and make it seem as part of regular stage gear to those in attendance watching you play.

Has anyone here done this, or something similar?
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Floor monitor fans

Can't say that I've ever heard of it and would it even be practical? Personal fans seem so much easier and less complicated.

In the below picture look at either end of the stage. Those red items are industrial style floor fans that I see used a lot in carpet drying and moisture removal. They work great. Our guitarist owns his, which in turned educated the bassist into getting the exact same one. Me, I don't follow the crowd. I gots my own stuff and junk.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Ditto on the industrial fans. Those things are a lifesaver in June/Aug. Like wind tunnels!

User Info Menu

I’ve considered putting small fans in a couple old floor monitor cabinets. I decided it would be too inefficient due the shrouding & restrictions of the cabinet. By the time I built it correctly, I would have way more into it than it’s worth.
    Those industrial blowers are nice. Some even have extra outlets on the side.

As much as the heat sucks, the humidity is what really creates issues. Makes it hard to keep instruments in tune. It’s hard on the PA equipment too....especially when you take it from hot & humid into AC and moisture condensates.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

We used to use two of these, one on each side of the stage when it was ridiculously hot. A couple hundred bucks each, very heavy duty ,work great outdoors as well.

292449 by Joe Dee, on Flickr

User Info Menu

like this

User Info Menu

We bought four of those yellow turbo fans. Then we painted them black. They work awesome and have power plug ins on them so they don't take up any extra sockets.