Thread: Am I the only 1 who has trouble with 1/4 note ostinato's?

User Info Menu

Default Am I the only 1 who has trouble with 1/4 note ostinato's?

I started playing out of my Time Functioning patterns book again and decided to do the fatback exercises using only 1/4 note ostinato's and wow is that an eye opener for me. I can do them pretty well using 1/8th notes and triplets but those 1/4 notes are tough. I think it is because I am not used to all that empty space between hi-hat/ride patterns so I keep jumping the gun. I believe when i 1st started out I did all these using 1/8th notes and never went over the 1/4's.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Am I the only 1 who has trouble with 1/4 note ostinato's?

I have no problem with them.

By the way, what are they?

Seriously, MDK, I look at things like that with the thought, "am I really going to use this stuff or could I be working on things that I know I will use"?
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I have no problem with them.

By the way, what are they?

Seriously, MDK, I look at things like that with the thought, "am I really going to use this stuff or could I be working on things that I know I will use"?
    It is playing 1234 on hi hat while playing bd and snare underneath, but moving them around, 1e, ah2, and, 3e ah, 4 ah etc etc. I can move it around easy enough while playing 1/8th notes.. and though I can cheat and play everything with 1/8th notes as I now do I like to try and better my playing and challenge myself so yes I am really going to use it.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I think I know what you’re talking about. If so, I actually play that a fair amount. I kinda started doing it looking for alternatives ways to play shuffles. Just so everything doesn’t sound the same, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I think I know what you’re talking about. If so, I actually play that a fair amount. I kinda started doing it looking for alternatives ways to play shuffles. Just so everything doesn’t sound the same, LOL.
    Thats the reason I started it as well, I noticed I play 90% of my stuff with 1/8 notes on ride or hats and would like to change it up. I usually end up accenting the 1/4 note and tapping the "and' so it sounds more like just 1/4 notes but I would like to just play it by hitting the 1/4 w/o tapping the "and"..It is much more efficient and still sounds different than the way I am currently doing it. If that makes sense
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I got this wind up metronome and it has a little accent bell and what I do is I have it ring on say "1" and when I got a lot of space I can tell quickly if I'm speeding up or dragging when I'm not in sync with that little bell.
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck

User Info Menu

you can force the rhythm by playing accents on the quarter notes first and make it super obvious ..loud and quiet

User Info Menu

Good exercises. Try it over a 7/8.

User Info Menu

Play the 1/8 note pattern really slowly. You're welcome!