Thread: Pearls Drums

User Info Menu

Default Pearls Drums

as recently posted , am newbie, just got a used drum kit....4 piece...bass is Ludwig, snare is a stewart, 2 toms are pearl.....they're mismatched as far as brand names, but I don't really care..just want to upgrade individual pieces.

question: does pearl make a junk cheapo set with their own name? or if it says pearl it's OK?

thanks
    RIFF

User Info Menu

All brand name drums such as Pearl, Tama, DW, Ludwig, etc. have their lowest line of drumsets. Yes, there usually isn't much difference between those and an offbrand. Most all are made in the same factories in China somewhere and are substandard compared to the pro kits. That said, I have heard that the quality of most beginner drumsets has risen overall in the last 10 years.

User Info Menu

Pearl Forum Series, but if you want to really buy every piece individually, Pearl Export series. A little more expensive but so much easier to get pieces for.

Shazane Guest

Pearl's entry level kits are supposed to be better than alot of brands though, it's true as far as I can tell since I'm using a discontinued Export Fusion kit that's actually as good quality as any mid level kit. Most Exports aren't as good but I'd definitely recommend the line.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shazane View Post
    Pearl's entry level kits are supposed to be better than alot of brands though, it's true as far as I can tell since I'm using a discontinued Export Fusion kit that's actually as good quality as any mid level kit. Most Exports aren't as good but I'd definitely recommend the line.
    I just bought an ELX lacquer set, and they are just as nice as the ART-STAR set I had in the 80s. They sound great, and look awesome(green fade).

User Info Menu

Hey R Fire, I haven't met you before, so welcome to Drum Chat.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have a PEARL forum series. The toms sound good but I got problems with the snare
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Thanks pastor bob

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    I have a PEARL forum series. The toms sound good but I got problems with the snare
    yeah I've never really been a fan of Pearl snares, despite their amazing drums otherwise, I use a Tama

User Info Menu

Entry level Pearl snares were never great. That's usually the first piece you change anyway Although I do play DW primarily, I play a 1996 Pearl Export that I still use to play at church and still sounds great. Only down side to it, I have the Candy Apple Red finish that they no longer manufacture any more in that line.
    Last edited by Diesel777; 12-11-2007 at 01:44 AM.

User Info Menu

I have Pearl Export Select 1999. It's really great! The snare does not sound good, especially if you need to do a drum roll. I need an upgrade. Other than that I've been loving it. Before that I had a no name brand. It served me well, especially when I was beginning and I couldn't tell the difference in sound and I really beat the crap out of it for several years. I now am searching for a better sound, but when you're learning I don't think it matters too much as they'll just get pretty beat up!

User Info Menu

I have the amber finish. It's a beauty! Looks good playing out too!

User Info Menu

They are called stencil kits and are all made somewhere in china probably in same factories and rebreanded for entry level markets in the US. Pearl, Tama, Accent, CB700 They are all about the same.

User Info Menu

not sure about my kit now...I think my feelings are hurt...maybe I'll let the missus use em for flower pots...LOL
    cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

Don't let your feelings be hurt! Play them and enjoy them. Later if you feel so inclined then upgrade.