Thread: Custom Snare

User Info Menu

Post Custom Snare

Hi, Guys
    I'm looking at building a custom snare as I can't find a pre-built one with the sound I want but I'm, not 100% sure on the best material to use. the sound I'm looking for is a deep swampy fat sound with no overtones. if anybody can recommend some materials that would offer this sound please let me know.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Custom Snare

so are you looking to do a stave?

User Info Menu

I would love to know what a deep, swampy, fat sounding snare sounds like.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

One of our members built a stave snare drum from scratch. Check it out!

User Info Menu

It’s hard for anyone to make a recommendation, since the exact sound you’re looking for is in your head, not ours. Chances are, it’s a sound you’ve heard on recordings and was probably more a product of tuning and a good sound engineer.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have been looking at a stave shell. But I was previously looking at ply but I wasn’t keen on how most of it is glue so I wanted something a little different.

User Info Menu

I know most of it will be tuning it’s just the sustain part that is shell related. Some people have told me it better with a thicker shell others have said thinner shell.

User Info Menu

That build looks incredible. Great job for a first time.

User Info Menu

You should get chummy with Spazapproved and eventually he may ask you to his home to see his 1400 (Give or take one or two) snare drums. I'm sure he can find the sound you are looking for and get you going in the right direction.
    Signature here