Thread: The Almost Perfect Song

User Info Menu

Default The Almost Perfect Song

When you are in a band and you are working on adding to your set-list.........new songs are discussed among members.........and some are tried and some are added or tossed.
    On rare occasion, a song is added that just works better than anything you have heard from the band (in the context of new material); all the players are into their parts and playing well with enthusiasm.........and you just know that this song is creating one of those "Oh, Wow" moments.........a song that is guaranteed to be a real attention-getter.

We had a practice last night where this happened.

I had been looking for the ideal Led Zeppelin song for my band for months.........not desperately running through everything they ever did and obsessing over it.........but just thinking it through and looking at the old album contents and asking myself if anything is appropriate for the specific band members at this time. Many years ago when I was in a bar/cover band in Dallas, we had about 12 LZ songs in our set-list -- we started with one early on and learned that our lead vox could do a Plant voice very well -- the more we added LZ songs, the more the crowd reacted enthusiastically........we wound up placing all 12 LZ songs into the third set of the night and the audiences loved it. I went back through those 12 LZ songs and looked closely at each one --- would it work for us now? --- would it work for audiences we now play for? --- would it be an attention-getter or just another LZ song? I was still not happy with any of the options I had thought over.

So the other day I am listening to music in my car......the HD player is on random selection......and up pops THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME.........this is it !
    The opening tune on the great album from 1973, Houses of the Holy.
    I introduced it to the band a week ago and everyone took it home to woodshed --- we got together last night and tried it out for the first time.
    All the parts are there.........and you can just tell this is one of those that is going to be fantastic..........now it's a matter of getting acquainted with the odd structure to finish it out.

Great song --- good fit --- I'm excited to bring this to the right gig and to the right spot in the set-list.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Almost Perfect Song

One of my favorite LZ tunes. Probably second only to Over The Hills and Far Away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    One of my favorite LZ tunes. Probably second only to Over The Hills and Far Away.
    I used to play those songs for my 2nd wife. She never got the hint.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Must be nice to be in a band where everyone takes it home and woodsheds and comes in the next week pretty much up to speed on it? I have never known that in my 10+ years of playing in bands.

How can anyone pick one song as their best from LZ? Song remains the same is great and then I think, man I really love in my time of dying, oh but wait how can you beat 10 years gone or since I been loving you, rain song, wanton song...on and on it goes : )
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I used to play those songs for my 2nd wife. She never got the hint.
    A little slow, huh ? lol............

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Must be nice to be in a band where everyone takes it home and woodsheds and comes in the next week pretty much up to speed on it? I have never known that in my 10+ years of playing in bands.

How can anyone pick one song as their best from LZ? Song remains the same is great and then I think, man I really love in my time of dying, oh but wait how can you beat 10 years gone or since I been loving you, rain song, wanton song...on and on it goes : )
    We do have many times when we will come to practice and one of the guitar players (and it IS ALWAYS one of the guitar players) has not done their homework and the entire band gets to help him learn what he should have already taught himself......................that is so disrespectful to the others in the band.
    It works well when everyone is prepped.
    Ten Years Gone was the first thought I had because I had done that one (and loved it as my favorite) in the previous band.
    The new song really drives..................the Bonham parts are fun.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)