Thread: Broadening Horizon

User Info Menu

Default Broadening Horizon

Over the course of my playing experience, which spans many, many, many, many years, with the exception of a few blues bands I've been involved with I have been a rock drummer.

My brother has one of the best Motown/Funk/Dance bands in the area and I'll be sitting in with them in a week to cover for their regular dummer that couldn't do this gig.

Tower Of Power, James Brown, Earth, Wind & Fire, The Ohio Player, etc.

Not my usual cup of tea, but, it's been quite fun rehearsing with this band in prep for the show. Definitely a different style that requires a different skill set. Looking forward to it. Not used to looking to my left and seeing 4 dudes blowing on horns

User Info Menu

Default Re: Broadening Horizon

Sounds like a good gig. Good luck to you.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

You'll kill it. Videos, please.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Horn section ?

FUN !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

When I was in the jazz improv band in college, when those horns kick in is when the music starts.

By the way, you left out 1 "many" in your opening post.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

You’ll have a blast. Enjoy it!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Horns make things awesome. I love playing with a solid sax and trumpet player.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Awesome! Versatility is good for us.

User Info Menu

"Versatility is good for us".

That's why, back in the day, I went from blondes to redheads to brunettes and back again.

What I did learn was play around, just don't marry them. Better off with a dog. Dogs never ask for child support and/or alimony, never gripe no matter how many football games you watch, and never tell you to do things, like clean up after yourself.

The best is that they don't speak English, they speak dog, which they do understand in West Virginia, but no place else, so they can't yell at you.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I think it will be fine unless of course I break into the version of Chain Of Fools that I've done in the past

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    You'll kill it. Videos, please.
    Here you go:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "Versatility is good for us".
    That's why, back in the day, I went from blondes to redheads to brunettes and back again.
    What I did learn was play around, just don't marry them. Better off with a dog. Dogs never ask for child support and/or alimony, never gripe no matter how many football games you watch, and never tell you to do things, like clean up after yourself.
    The best is that they don't speak English, they speak dog, which they do understand in West Virginia, but no place else, so they can't yell at you.
    It is really hard to argue with good logic.

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I think it will be fine unless of course I break into the version of Chain Of Fools that I've done in the past
    Nice -- that Little Caesar version has been on our set-list for years.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Nice job, Marc!

Well done!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Nice job, Marc!

Well done!!!
    Thanks Mark. Here's another. Sound guy on this gig wasn't very good and the horns needs a bit of work.....but I did tune the drums to funky

User Info Menu

That's some good stuff! A good band, horns, and a funky singer - what else could you ask for? Drumming was right on mark, too.

My last band had part-time horns. The lead trumpet player was retired from the Air Force Band and could flat out cook. We had two sets of songs: one with horns, and one without.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Haahahaah the beginning on the first song looks like you were in hyperspeed cymbal mode. (whatever that is)

However, the band sounded spot on and no way to tell you were the noob.

WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    That's some good stuff! A good band, horns, and a funky singer - what else could you ask for? Drumming was right on mark, too.

My last band had part-time horns. The lead trumpet player was retired from the Air Force Band and could flat out cook. We had two sets of songs: one with horns, and one without.

GeeDeeEmm
    Thanks! It was fun. Not something I'd want to do every weekend, but, it was a change of pace for me and I got to jam with my brother.

Haahahaah the beginning on the first song looks like you were in hyperspeed cymbal mode. (whatever that is)

However, the band sounded spot on and no way to tell you were the noob.

WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "More cymbal?"