Thread: Any consensus on repairing cymbal dents?

User Info Menu

Default Any consensus on repairing cymbal dents?

Hay all, I'll preface by stating that 1) I have done some reading about the subject.
    2) I studied metallurgy so I understand a few things about metals, but no personal experience with B20 bronze...

I got a 22" HHX Omni forma store with a heavy discount because it got bent/dented on the edge, about 1" wide by 1" deep. I thought I was getting it with warranty but Sabian's website specifically says no dents...

Anyway I would like to try bending or hammering this back to round. Yes, I understand the risks... I also work in a shop which works with metal (steel & aluminum) so some of the guys know their stuff but sadly none have experience with bronze or cymbals...

So GIVEN that this cymbal was hand hammered to begin with, I am believing that a little tappy-tap (tap-tap-taparoo) to correct this won't be too risky. Though that edge is sure thin...

Please chime in if you know about this or can direct me to actual resources! Thanks
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Any consensus on repairing cymbal dents?

My first thought was to telephone the guys at Fork's Drum Closet, Nashville.................if they don't know how to fix it, they know someone that can tell you.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Can you post a pic of it?
    I think a lot depends on the type of damage. If it’s a surface dent, you could probably just throw a rag over it and hammer most of it out. The metal is probably stretched, so it may not come out all the way. If it’s on the edge (like it was dropped on edge), then it could crack if you try to bend or hammer it.
    You could always cut it down or make an FX cymbal out of it.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Get a body shop style hammer. With the plastic head on one side and rubber on the other.

User Info Menu

I would seriously consider not trying to hammer it back out. If you like the way the cymbal sounds, then it probably isn’t worth taking the risk of cracking it to remove the dent.

User Info Menu

See if Sabian can fix it.
    They have a refresh program that is like a $40 buck flat fee that might be of use.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    See if Sabian can fix it.
    They have a refresh program that is like a $40 buck flat fee that might be of use.
    That's a good tip!

However I did it myself. It's important to note that this was a very small dent. It may have been from a customer picking it up from the edge (it was in a bin on the floor).

I set an old brass ZBT ride on a table to support under the dent, using the bell like an anvil. I used a dead shot mallet and got most of it out, it's really barely noticeable at all now.

To my surprise the sound changed; the dent was causing a little more trashiness which is now reduced. This is a terrific cymbal and literally the first I have bought new since starting drums 2 years ago... Compared to the AAX version (also 22") it is more responsive, dynamic and darker. The crash does not project as well however.
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Glad you were able to fix it. A few years ago I had a B20 Sabian ride that I just didn't like, and had practically no money in. I wanted to experiment with hammering it some more. No matter what I did, I could not break that cymbal. I used a one pound peen hammer on an anvil and hammered that sucker from stem to stern, bell to edge, hard and light. Bronze is much tougher than I thought, and it made we wonder how in the world we manage to break them. Actually, I never have broken a cymbal in over fifty years of playing B20 Zildjian and Sabian cymbals. And I do not play lightly.

GeeDeeEmm