Thread: Paiste sound edge hi hats

User Info Menu

Default Paiste sound edge hi hats

i notice the sound edge utilize a ‘ grooved” bottom hi hat? Do all sound edge come like that? Were Bonhams bottom hi hat grooved?
    What is the reason for that being grooved? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question.
    I also notice the 15 inch sound edge sound better than the 14”. Opinions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Paiste sound edge hi hats

Yes, the “sound edge” is what Paiste calls that design with the scallop edge on the bottom hat. It helps the air escape from between the hats and also adds some crispness and brightens the sound. It also helps them project the sound.
    Other companies have their own design variations that basically serve the same function.
    I don’t know about JB.....some people like them, some don’t. I prefer a vented bottom hat with holes in it. Yo me, the holes add crispness and volume but keep the darker sound.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Yes, the “sound edge” is what Paiste calls that design with the scallop edge on the bottom hat. It helps the air escape from between the hats and also adds some crispness and brightens the sound. It also helps them project the sound.
    Other companies have their own design variations that basically serve the same function.
    I don’t know about JB.....some people like them, some don’t. I prefer a vented bottom hat with holes in it. Yo me, the holes add crispness and volume but keep the darker sound.
    Yes! It's a preference thing. I have the Paiste Signature 14" sound edges and love'em! I also have the Zildjian Quick Beats from the late 70's/early 80's. bottom cymbal has no bell and 4 holes drilled in it. I also have too many other Hi-Hats! lol.

User Info Menu

Is there a difference between the 2000 sound edge and signature?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Yes! It's a preference thing. I have the Paiste Signature 14" sound edges and love'em! I also have the Zildjian Quick Beats from the late 70's/early 80's. bottom cymbal has no bell and 4 holes drilled in it. I also have too many other Hi-Hats! lol.
    That’s coincidental....I also have a set of 14” Signature SE hats......and a set of ‘70’s Quick Beats, LOL.
    Honestly, I rarely play the Signatures any more. They cut through very well, but are a little bright for my current taste. I only use them for outdoor gigs now....which they are excellent for. The Quick Beats just sit on a shelf and collect dust.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lexer View Post
    Is there a difference between the 2000 sound edge and signature?
    Just the material. 2002’s are made from B8 bronze. Signature’s are made from a slightly different bronze blend.
    The Signature series is typically considered a higher grade. It’s a very shimmering and glassy sounding series. I think I prefer the 2002, to be honest.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Just the material. 2002’s are made from B8 bronze. Signature’s are made from a slightly different bronze blend.
    The Signature series is typically considered a higher grade. It’s a very shimmering and glassy sounding series. I think I prefer the 2002, to be honest.
    Yes, you're right. The signatures are a bit loud. I'll use my quick beats when I play my Slingerland's. . . . . .that's when I play'em! lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lexer View Post
    i notice the sound edge utilize a ‘ grooved” bottom hi hat? Do all sound edge come like that? Were Bonhams bottom hi hat grooved?
    What is the reason for that being grooved? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question.
    I also notice the 15 inch sound edge sound better than the 14”. Opinions?
    It's called sound edge because of the bottom hat being grooved.
    Bonham used the 15" sound edge 2002's.
    They're grooved for the quick air escape which makes a louder "chick" sound.
    The liking of the sound would be a preference.

Zildjian makes the "Mastersound" hi-hats with the bottom hat grooved.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 08-20-2018 at 05:44 AM.

User Info Menu

The Paiste Rude series also had the SE. I had a set of 14's and it was the loudest of the 6 pairs of hats I had in my arsenal. There are some drummers who have complained about the bottom cymbal cracking at the gap of the wave but I never had any issues with the SE design.