Thread: Snare wood

User Info Menu

Default Snare wood

Hi,

Can anybody recommend a wood to use for making a snare with the target sound of dry, fat and low sustain. Or any websites with wood comparisons as I couldn’t find any.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare wood

Joe... not sure why there are no replies to your question as a few members here are very good carpenters and build their own... but I'd lean towards maple for that sound.

I know it's a warmer sounding wood. With a good head selection and tuning from both head and wires you should be able to get the dry sound...
    Last edited by slinky; 08-24-2018 at 09:47 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Bubinga, mahogany, and perhaps birch come to mind by your description. The first two are going to be generally pretty expensive, and harder to come by in sets, or companies that sell parts for custom drums(I've only seen one place selling mahogany shells, and no one selling bubinga ones.) Birch however, it's known to be dry and easy to work with - and you have a lot more availability there as it's a very popular and fast growing species of wood, featured in many different drumsets by various companies. It sometimes sounds brighter to me, but the shortness of sustain is my general attraction to it. It also tends to be less expensive in comparison. Good luck on your hunt though, happy playing.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Beech
    Last edited by MDK; 08-24-2018 at 10:29 AM. Reason: double
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Beech
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info, I have been looking at wood and have heard from a ply shell maker that a walnut and birch blend is the wood I want for my desired sound of fat deep and no sustain and overtones, would you agree also could you also help with the depth of a snare, in particular, the difference in sound between a 6.5", 7" and 8"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@StAxe View Post
    Thanks for the info, I have been looking at wood and have heard from a ply shell maker that a walnut and birch blend is the wood I want for my desired sound of fat deep and no sustain and overtones, would you agree also could you also help with the depth of a snare, in particular, the difference in sound between a 6.5", 7" and 8"
    And for something completely different, African Paduak, your guess is as good as mine. I'll let you know when I'm done with it! lol.7X13 DSC01361.jpg

User Info Menu

Depth is a variable that's often overlooked in drums other than the bass. What depth essentially does for you, is adds to sustain if there's more of it, or subtracts from it if there's less. If you're going for a real dry 70's sorta vibe, go with shallow depths and pre-damped heads like pinstripes, performance II's, or even hydraulics if you want em to be like cardboard boxes. Just be prepared with what you'll end up with. Another great idea, is to look up bands with sounds you like, and to research what their drummer was using and try to get something similar to that. Mimic his techniques and gear choice, and hopefully get closer to tailoring in the sound that pleases your ears most. Granted you don't need to get his exact set, just something that comes close. Do what you can within your means, yeah?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I have found more plies also takes away sustain. I have a couple of super thick 18ply, 22ply and even 25ply snares and they are so dry and fat.

User Info Menu

Explain "fat" for me. Its not a word that describes sound. At least not in any scientific way. Its a buzz word. A catch phase description, that means different things to different people. Do you mean a detuned (low) sound like some old recordings. Something like Jet did and a million kids tried to copy. Sustain can be taken away from any drum with muffling. Dry and lacking overtones is kinda the same description. Again you can get these with muffling. Also dry for some drummers sounds like choked to me. If you are trying to make your snare sound like some recordings you've heard then let me stop you right there and say don't. Just about any snare drum can do everything you describe. Looking for some "magical" wood that won't require you to know how to get the sound you desire is like looking for a unicorn. I can make any of my snares get the sound i want. All I need is a good drum. They all do more or less of the things you want, but subtly. Some drums ring more, some have more or less sustain and some take better to higher or lower tunings and you have got to figure some of that out for yourself.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    And for something completely different, African Paduak, your guess is as good as mine. I'll let you know when I'm done with it! lol.7X13 DSC01361.jpg
    On a side note, that's a really gorgeous solid shell. Unless it's been drilled already? Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing with that, as that genus is one i've not heard of before. One day I hope to work with something like that.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments