Thread: Stain and clear coat on an old beat up kit with video

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

Default Stain and clear coat on an old beat up kit with video

Here is a video I made of the progress on a 1980's Pearl Export kit.

It was beat up, the wraps were damaged and it was in a near garbage state. It is now a nice looking kit and it cost me very little to do this.

Last edited by scottyp; 08-20-2018 at 09:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stain and clear coat on an old beat up kit with video

Outstanding work!

User Info Menu

I'd go with tung oil or something instead of a clear coat next time as it is hard to get really smooth.. Those guys who do kitchen tables and woodworking have a skill I need to work on haha.

User Info Menu

damn that's a hell of a leg sleeve lol

Turned out much nicer than the black wrap!
    Nice work!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    damn that's a hell of a leg sleeve lol

Turned out much nicer than the black wrap!
    Nice work!

It only looked black because it was sooooo gross. And the terrible lighting in the garage. lol Night and day difference.

As far as the leg. It was done to cover up a big, ugly tattoo I got when I was much younger with a fake ID. To cover it up you gotta go bigger and darker so why not do the whole thing. After a few 8 hour sessions though I don't see any more in my future. The back of it is pretty intense (one giant skull) but my back isn't facing the camera very often haha.

User Info Menu

Really Nice! I really enjoy this kind of video. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottyp View Post
    I'd go with tung oil or something instead of a clear coat next time as it is hard to get really smooth.. Those guys who do kitchen tables and woodworking have a skill I need to work on haha.
    Getting that ultra-smooth glass finish (French polish) is just a matter of the right products, technique and LOTS of work!

I used Deft spray can lacquer on my project kit. Lacquer is nice because it will melt into itself with no real sanding required between coats. Spray 8-10 light coats, then lightly finish/wet sand. You can then use rubbing compound to get the shine. Lacquer gets harder as it cures over time as well, which improves the sound. Also, you can start with a grain filler to help level porous woods with open grains (like Luan). Without it, you’ll always have a slight texture due to the grain. However, I kind of like the softer and more natural look of the grain texture. If want perfectly smooth like glass, you may as well just install a wood print wrap...

I think your kit looks awesome just like it is. Nice job!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Getting that ultra-smooth glass finish (French polish) is just a matter of the right products, technique and LOTS of work!

I used Deft spray can lacquer on my project kit. Lacquer is nice because it will melt into itself with no real sanding required between coats. Spray 8-10 light coats, then lightly finish/wet sand. You can then use rubbing compound to get the shine. Lacquer gets harder as it cures over time as well, which improves the sound. Also, you can start with a grain filler to help level porous woods with open grains (like Luan). Without it, you’ll always have a slight texture due to the grain. However, I kind of like the softer and more natural look of the grain texture. If want perfectly smooth like glass, you may as well just install a wood print wrap...

I think your kit looks awesome just like it is. Nice job!
    You are actualy right, I didn't use filler and the slight texture looks pretty good. After sanding and polishing the clear it went a bit more matt and looks more natural too. As "cool" as that high gloss glassy finish is, the satin or softer finish looks way more realistic and natural.

Thanks for the tips as well.

User Info Menu

Nice job. Thanks for putting that up. I've wanted to take a kit like that and bring it back to life too, but, it's hard to find the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Nice job. Thanks for putting that up. I've wanted to take a kit like that and bring it back to life too, but, it's hard to find the time.

I chipped away at it an hour here, 2 hours there. It will wait for you . the most consuming was the clear coat, but using something different next time won't require so many coats and sanding.

User Info Menu

BTW- old Pearl Exports are excellent candidates for a cheap project. There’s a ton of them out there, they’re well built and solid, they sound decent, and best of all; the wraps are only held on by glue at the seam. They’re easy to strip and although the wood underneath is Luan, it’s usually nice quality.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham