Thread: Drummers/ musicians and Art school

User Info Menu

Default Drummers/ musicians and Art school

Just an observation guys. I noticed many musicians/ drummers seem to mention art school a lot.
    Many drummers who are interviewed seem to mention art school or they mention painting or drawing. Neither of which i can do at all, lol.
    Makes sense since its creative but i am wondering if the more talented drummers have artistic ability compared to just an average player?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drummers/ musicians and Art school

I have a music and art degree. Graphic Design to be exact

User Info Menu

I'm one of ten children, and nine of us can play an instrument to some degree. Both of our parents are also musicians. Three of us graduated from music school. Four of us have either graduated with or are studying for art degrees.

I think you may be on to something, lol

However despite many of my siblings being awesome artists, I'm certainly not one of them haha
    Last edited by xweasel; 08-21-2018 at 11:36 AM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

It's certainly not surprising the creative people can be creative in different areas, but I don't know that there's really any correlation. Could also be that musicians don't want to go to school for accounting .
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I think it’s a creativity/free thinking thing. Many good musicians also have multiple outlets for their creativity; writing, acting, painting...even building hot rods. Some even dabble in things like Physics and Astronomy.

Accounting is not a good choice for creative people. Creative accountants end up in jail.....or politics...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I would certainly think that there is a synergy there.

User Info Menu

Music is art. It's one in the same (creative right brain).
    I can't draw but do have an eye for design and I have dabbled with art my entire life.

User Info Menu

Not only cant i draw or paint, my hand writing is atrocious..
    That said, i am very creative in my thinking.

User Info Menu

Well there you go, that's all you need!

User Info Menu

It might be fun to list well known musicians and other forms of art that they participate in....also people who are famous for other forms of art and are musicians on the side.

The ones I can think of off the top of my head;

Jack Black
    Patrick Swazie (singer)
    Gary Sinise
    Kevin Bacon
    Johnny Depp
    Ryan Gosling
    Jamie Fox (check out “Ray”)
    Robert Pattinson
    Bruce Willis
    Keanu Reeves

I would argue that calling Keanu an actor is borderline...but my wife has a crush on him, so I get stuck watching his movies...
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

"I would argue that calling Keanu an actor is borderline...but my wife has a crush on him, so I get stuck watching his movies..."

He was, all things considered, good in "The Lake House".

The "John Wick" movies are fun to watch. He's a "action star", so that's where they put him.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Yeah Keanu Reeves is an awesome action actor. Just doesn't deliver dialogue very well lol
    - Zack

User Info Menu

You know, I used to read bios and stories about all these musicians meeting each other in art school...................
    John met Paul at art school; Mick met Keith at art school; this guitar guy met the drummer at art school.
    Seems like this was going on all the time.................and I thought to myself, "Why did all these guys go to art school ?"

Then one day I read an article about education policy in England...............back in the 40s, 50s, and 60s, the students were systematically assessed at about the 8th grade or so.
    Those that showed a promise for the hard sciences and math were sent to school for that purpose -- engineering, economics, physics, chemistry, etc.

All the others were sent to "art school"..............and apparently this term meant (and included) much more than just visual arts.
    It all made sense to me after that.
    I believe that England has since improved their policy and practices in this area.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I forgot about Steve Martin...obviously a legendary comedian/actor, but also one of the best banjo players around.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

One of my favorite late drummers Randy Castillo painted. I liked the paintings he did that I saw. Would be cool to have one.

Sometimes these actors or anybody are so full of themselves when in reality all they do is throw cans of paint at a wall and draw some lines in it.

Then they talk about "my work" lol

I like to do crafts. I made a seashell necklace for a girlfriend a long time ago. It came out nice.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Ringo is into painting. His work looks just exactly how you think it would....right off a Beatles album cover, LOL.

Ronnie Wood (Stones) is actually a very good artist.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I can't draw a straight line without a straight edge if my life depended on it.

I did take a couple of courses in astronomy mainly because I was fascinated by the sheer size of the universe.

I told a friend of mine years ago to take 186,272 mi/sec, the accepted speed of light at that time, to multiply it by 60, then by 60 again, then by 24, then by 365, then by 14 billion, then to call me when he had the answer. Haven't heard from him in 30 years.

I also have messed with physics. I can't tell you how to build a atomic bomb, but I can fix it so your gas (not G.A.S.) has a 1/2 life of 67 years.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

A lot of us end up in IT.
    IBM used to recruit the music dept back in the day before there was a CS dept.

As for art,I used to be pretty good ,but something happened and I just don't have a passion for it anymore.
    I remember in 6th grade a buddy of mine paid me 5 cents for a sketch i made of Ringo Starr.
    i thought he was joking,but...

My dad up until his 80's was quite good.
    Last edited by pgm554; 08-25-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes