Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling heads and doing maintenance

User Info Menu

Default Pulling heads and doing maintenance

Going to be doing some maintenance today. I put new heads on my kit when I purchased it in April. I've only gigged with it maybe five times, and I have used it for occasional practices. I use a TuneBot Gig to tune my drums, and I can't get my 12 inch tom to tune correctly for anything. I may end up changing heads, but I am going to pull the ones I have on it currently to check/clean bearing edges, etc, then try to get it to tune and go from there. Just kind of odd that all other drums tune up perfectly, but this one isn't wanting to.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pulling heads and doing maintenance

Good to go now. Spoke with overtone labs who makes the tune bot, and got the fundamental pitch it should be hitting. Took a little bit out of each lug and hit it on the money.

20180823_120146.jpg
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

I personally can't stand the tune bot.
    If you hit it soft vs medium vs hard you get different readings I feel.
    I just couldn't get a good accurate number.

I just tune by ear which I've done for YEARS and I'm happy with my end results.
    Some drums and heads take me longer so I agree the head makes a big difference.

User Info Menu

I typically tune by ear, but the current band I'm playing in likes a lower "club tuning". I was able to find something they liked with the settings I'm using.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    I typically tune by ear, but the current band I'm playing in likes a lower "club tuning". I was able to find something they liked with the settings I'm using.
    DW, having played in several hundred clubs in my life, I have never heard the term "club tuning". What is the difference as opposed to just playing softer which 1 has to do on certain songs?
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    DW, having played in several hundred clubs in my life, I have never heard the term "club tuning". What is the difference as opposed to just playing softer which 1 has to do on certain songs?
    A deeper tuning on the drums so they dont ring out as much. The older blues and rockabilly cats around here dang near require it if you want to play with or for them.

User Info Menu

I'll start tuning my drums for a blues guitar player when pigs fly.... or Joe Bonamassa has called.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    I'll start tuning my drums for a blues guitar player when pigs fly.... or Joe Bonamassa has called.
    Try playing for a Hall of Famer like I do and you put more effort into making sure your drums sound good.

User Info Menu

Try playing for a Hall of Famer like I do and you put more effort into making sure your drums sound good.
    An attempt at humor. I still think it was funny. FWIW my drums sound amazing and i rely on my gear and my own ear for that, not the ear of the singer or guitarist. They're supposed to know their job and i'm supposed to know mine. Letting the band tune my drums would almost always be a mistake for them and subsequently for me. As a professional i can't let that happen. After all i am the one best trained for this. I get my work based on what i do well. It's a skill set. If you want a tight snare sound, well i have the drum for that. Low and balladeer like, i have that one too. If you want deeper sounds i have bigger drums. Higher sounds then i have smaller. I always tune the drums to sound their best. I'm not tuning big drums overly tight or small drums overly low to try and make them be something they're not. I guess that is my real point. BTW I'd love to know who you play for. I can see that you really have your game together. No joke there.
    Last edited by SunDog; 08-25-2018 at 05:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Tune for what sounds good out front in the mix, not what sounds good on stage. Sometimes, the two can be significantly different.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 08-25-2018 at 11:53 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

While doing your maintenance don't forget to do this.

an oldie but a goodie

https://www.drumchat.com/showthread....ght=Drum+smell l.p.
    Last edited by slinky; 08-31-2018 at 07:26 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

^^^ Now THATS a thread worth reading, LOL.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have always tuned to my drumdial, thinking it's best to have exact specs. It has always sounded good.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

BTW I'd love to know who you play for. I can see that you really have your game together. No joke there.
    Really? Come on man. I know you’re gonna fire back at me since you had to write a novel of a post already to prove your first point, but if you’re not gonna be respectful here, leave.
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I was being respectful and sincere. Your a pro which means you must have your **** together and i appreciate that from another drummer. The money would have to be right for me ever to lay down like that. I don't advise it. You can do what you want to, and maybe take your own advice on the respect thing.

User Info Menu

I was being respectful and sincere. Your a pro which means you must have your **** together and i appreciate that from another drummer. The money would have to be right for me ever to lay down like that. I don't advise it. You can do what you want to, and maybe take your own advice on the respect thing.
    Oh yeah you’re so innocent. “no joke there”. By the way your “take your own advice” comment is invalid. Not once have I made anyone mad here. And since being respectful is not making anyone mad, it’s evident that I have always been respectful. Therefore, I require no advice.

-Mike

User Info Menu

You're making me mad now, does that count? Just take yes for an answer already and stop looking for a fight. You're a great drummer. Your drums sound the best. You know what is best for us all. You play for a "hall of famer". You win. End of discussion?
    Last edited by SunDog; 09-02-2018 at 12:28 AM.

User Info Menu

You're making me mad now, does that count? Just take yes for an answer already and stop looking for a fight. You're a great drummer. Your drums sound the best. You know what is best for us all. You play for a "hall of famer". You win. End of discussion?
    Post whatever you need to make yourself feel better.

-Mike

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Well...this post went in a weird direction...

User Info Menu

Well...this post went in a weird direction...
    LOL.
    And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming....
    -Brian

User Info Menu

yeah, when I see this I throw in the lock thread pic...hee hee

User Info Menu

I see a lot of this going on within other forums, too.

What's going on these days?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I see a lot of this going on within other forums, too.

What's going on these days?
    Too much posting under the influence?

Dont be convicted of a PUI. It could bring terrible consequences.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    yeah, when I see this I throw in the lock thread pic...hee hee
    Ok, now I get it, LOL. At first, I thought you were suggesting he use threadlocker on the tension rods....
    -Brian