Thread: Alesis DM10 not loud enough

User Info Menu

Default Alesis DM10 not loud enough

I have this set with decent headphones. It is cranked all the way up on the module but seems like it could be way louder.

Anyone else have one of these with that complaint? I'm not trying blow my ears out more than they are but it just needs to be a little bit louder.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: Alesis DM10 not loud enough

Have you tried different headsets? That makes a huge difference, in my experience.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Have you tried different headsets? That makes a huge difference, in my experience.
    This is very true.
    What headphones are you using?
    You could also (I know it sounds crazy) but buy a small mixing board.
    Then plug into that to make it louder

User Info Menu

Do you think a headphone amp would work?

I'm looking at this one HA400 micro amp for headphones

5649f4b3198f8.jpg
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Do you think a headphone amp would work?

I'm looking at this one HA400 micro amp for headphones

5649f4b3198f8.jpg
    It will do what it is supposed to. My concern would be the amount of incoming signal it has to boost. If the incoming signal isn't loud enough this won't have any effect. Possibly if it gets over driven, it may sound like a lot of distortion.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    It will do what it is supposed to. My concern would be the amount of incoming signal it has to boost. If the incoming signal isn't loud enough this won't have any effect. Possibly if it gets over driven, it may sound like a lot of distortion.
    Thanks Bish I was thinking that too.. maybe it is the headphones.. I thought they were pretty good when I got them.

The ones I bought are Sony MDR-7506 Studio headphones last Nov.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Thanks Bish I was thinking that too.. maybe it is the headphones.. I thought they were pretty good when I got them.

The ones I bought are Sony MDR-7506 Studio headphones last Nov.
    If you can get a deal that allows you to return it if not living up to your expectations...go for it. Nothing to lose but a bit of time and maybe some knowledge to gain.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

The headphone amp will do the trick for getting more volume out of your ekit module. I've used one for my Yamaha DTXpressIII.

Another method is to run the module through a small mixer. In the pic below, my metronome's volume was too low to hear when I had it mixed with music from a MP3 player so I ran the click through one of the mixer channel's that has a pre-amp which raised the volume for the click.

User Info Menu

Alesis anything generally sucks, get Roland.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Alesis anything generally sucks, get Roland.
    Not in my experience. Toted a D4 for years playing in a "wedding" band. Durable, full of usable samples. Sold for almost what I paid for it. Good inexpensive alternative to Roland anything.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Still got one of their "real" e-drum pedals and a dm5 module, the thing never fires when I want it to. I wish i'd never bought them and listened a little closer to the reviews. D'oh~
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Still got one of their "real" e-drum pedals and a dm5 module, the thing never fires when I want it to. I wish i'd never bought them and listened a little closer to the reviews. D'oh~

At the time, (1995-2000) I had made my own drum triggers out of 1/4" plywood covered with roofing rubber and mounted to a PVC hand built rack/stand. Each trigger was mounted under the plywood with caulk and they were piezo sensors I got from RadioShack. They got wired to a 1/4" "guitar jack" so I could use regular quarter inch cables. It took a bit of knowledge and patience to be able to isolate each trigger yet keep sensitivity within the entire kit.

I used it for several years until I could afford the real deal. Roland TD-5 system. I even incorporated the Roland and Alesis in to one rack and assigned each pad a different module. This divided the duties between the two modules via midi. One turn of the Alesis to a self-made drum kit and both modules would change as needed.

Wish I had pictures to show. It was pretty cool for my first and only home made electric kit.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

That does sound like a nice setup, I remember 2slow used to be real into diy e-drum related stuff like building triggers. At first I thought I would end up making my own triggers too, to save some money. But sometime soon, I got my hands on a set of drum triggers made by drumdial, and I wasn't totally hating the price. Those combined with drum and cymbal muters, and a Roland TD-7 module, I was all hooked up haha. The cymbals have some sensitivity issues and there's not enough zones available, but it was a start.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Im going to try the headphone amp and see how it goes. The Aliesis stuff isn't too bad if you get mid range or higher stuff... the DM10 is pretty good though for practicing/warm up purposes at home.

Roland is probably the best though.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN