Thread: Thinking about Diril hats

User Info Menu

Default Thinking about Diril hats

Can't find a whole lot of info about these cymbals. What I do see is almost universally good. I currently use aax stage hats and want something darker and drier but not at the expense of volume/cut.

In my YouTube searches I found the byzance dark to really sound like what I'm after, followed by the extra dry...

There is a pair of (Ibrahim) Diril Primitive 15's available for a decent price they are a copy of the Byzance extra dry from the guys who developed them for Meinl!

I'm having one of those moments of GAS indecision, ordering online. It's an attractive price but I hate the idea of not liking them if they're too dry! Any input to offer?
    Last edited by Natman; 08-30-2018 at 03:44 PM.
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thinking about Diril hats

Ask them about their return policies... that's about all I can offer. Never heard of the name.. Will look at them sometime
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Well I caved and ordered them, should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. It will be very interesting to say the least. I just don't want the dark/dry character to translate into getting buried in a mix! This should be the polar opposite to the AAX Stage hats I have now...
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Seems to be an expensive cymbal.
    Someone has been trying to sell an 18 inch ride for nearly a year at $300 bucks and he just lowered his price.
    Murat Diril hi hats are $375
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

These are made by Ibrahim Diril FWIW.

I also snapped up a pair of used HHX Groove Hats on Monday because a bargain came up locally. It was a big improvement over the AAX Stage hats.

Just got the 15" Diril Primitive pair tonight in and played for about 20 minutes (kids in bed). I recorded the difference with my 14" Groove Hats so I could listen back using HQ recording app on my Android phone.

HUGE difference, it will take some getting used to. Oddly enough, I like the Groove hats better when playing but recorded the Primitives take the cake. Tons more character: FAT! and complex. The cut is more pronounced than I expected and the volume is not bad. The Groove hats sound a bit harsh on the recording. The Dirils have a voice that sounds like decades of chain smoking... Feel is way different as my strokes and foot pressure have to be altered to get a desired effect. That extra 1" changes things man! The seller let me pick any top & bottom combination of the 4 pairs he had so I went with the heaviest of each since I was scared to have too low a pitch and they might not cut, get buried since they're so dry/dark. The Groove Hat bottom is actually heavier than the Diril bottom which is 1304 g. Groove top is lighter than the Diril though (1041 g). Yeah I'm a newbie but it's pretty cool to hear such a big difference in tones. Safe to say the AAXs are up for sale. I'll play both more before deciding which to keep (maybe both).
    Last edited by Natman; 09-05-2018 at 09:03 PM.

User Info Menu

That's the issue of buying online for cymbals... you never get to truly hear them until they are yours. . .
    But if you did some reading and some sound clip listening and you like what you see and hear, go for it!

User Info Menu

I imagine one of the biggest adjustments with hi-hats is going from a smaller pair to a larger one? I don't hear about a lot of players rocking 15" hats all that often.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I imagine one of the biggest adjustments with hi-hats is going from a smaller pair to a larger one? I don't hear about a lot of players rocking 15" hats all that often.
    Man it's not easy at all! Like I wrote earlier the feel is quite different, the Dirils feel sloppy. I notice the 2 cymbals don't align well, the offset always seems to be more than the 14's I had before (like 1/4-3/8" where you might normally see 1/8"). Doesn't matter if I back the tilt screw all the way out. The dirtier tone and wider diameter make it seem really sloppy but when I listen back to the recording, it sounds fantastic! Sounds like I'm complaining but these hats are also very expressive. I think the adjustment will take a bit of time. I notice they sound better with heavy sticks.

I went back & forth with the Groove hats yesterday and I like them a lot. They are terrific but have more high end and stick definition. Recorded, that comes off as slightly harsh by comparison but in person I don't hear that. I still need to record both pairs with my full mic setup. I was hoping there would be a clear winner so I could sell one pair off and recoup some money but it looks like I may have to hang on to both for a while.