Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bish's Beastily Blue Beeches have arrived

User Info Menu

Default Bish's Beastily Blue Beeches have arrived

Currently loading them in my truck to take home from work.

I'll have more pictures than you'll know what to do with shortly.

Having difficulties with my Imgur account trying to upload pictures.

It just sits and looks stupid with nothing happening.

Not sure what to think of that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bish's Beastily Blue Beeches have arrived

You using a phone? You can post directly to the site...no host needed.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    You using a phone? You can post directly to the site...no host needed.
    Thanks for the reply. That's how I got them here. Attached photos and many more to come. I just got them home. I opened each box at work but didn't pull any of them out. That's next. BBL.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    You using a phone?
    Sorry to have not answered the phone ?. I use it to take pictures, text and make calls. Imagine. lol I don't use it for internet. I have PC's at home and work and that's when and where I need and use them. Other than that I'm off the grid.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Here they are. I need to do some tuning or head swap. They sound terrible. lol

Signature here

User Info Menu

Signature here

User Info Menu

They look great. How are the power toms sounding
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CB700 View Post
    They look great. How are the power toms sounding
    Thank you. Like I said in the first post, terrible. They are loud, that's for sure. They need tuning or new heads badly. Not a good first impression. lol

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Beautiful kit.
    Thank you.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Been playing around with my Beeches today and repositioned them as well as complete head swaps except for the snare. I don't hate it yet. hahahaha

They sounded terrible and I was embarassed until I got some different heads for them. Previous owner had ambassadors under coated emps and coated ambs. Didn't work for me at all. So I swapped all for G2 batters and G1 resos. Holy moly they sing.

Then I tried Blue Hydras and again wow but subdued. Think I'm going to stick with G2s instead.

Here's some pics of the event.

I only could scrounge up heads for the 10, 12 and 16. So I tossed aside the 13 and 18 until I can get heads for them.

These drums are really nice.

Last edited by Bish; 09-02-2018 at 09:42 AM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Signature here

User Info Menu

I forgot to add I put an Aquarian SK II on the bass drum batter and tossed the Evans EC something or another with the felt strips on the inside that were deteriorating away and leaving a mess.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Wow...very nice! Thanks for the input on head experiments. How do you like the sound vs. the other kit Bish?

User Info Menu

Think I'm still more aligned with the birch or oak for the moment. Guess I'm more used to the smaller tom sizes than the power toms. On stage it'll all be good.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Nice Bish! Did it come with the Kickport already installed?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Nice Bish! Did it come with the Kickport already installed?
    Thanks, drummer.

I added that. It came with just the plain ported Yamaha head.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

The more I look at the is kit the more I like it Bish.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

The more I look at the is kit the more I like it Bish.
    Thank you. It looks really elegant in person. The blue is pretty deep. Plus, now that I found some decent sounding heads, this kit will be gigged soon.

We had a gig scheduled for today. A hot rod car show at a local restaurant/tavern. It just got canceled due to excess rain fall and was intended to be outdoors with all the cars and gear heads. We are going to reschedule for next Wednesday. This kit was slated for that/this gig. Even as I write this, there is a cloud burst occurring outside. lol
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have a little story to tell you about this purchase. I know this'll come as a shock but it was a quick impulse decision without a lot of research or study. Never expected to win the auction. Based on other sales this doesn't appear to be over priced or any kind of bargain.

I get the drums home, start unpacking and begin to notice irregularities between the drums. Immediately I'm thinking, I got taken. Not worried since I had the buyer protection and return guarantee. So we move onward with the unpack.

What I'm noticing is some rims have a "fancy name" sticker on them and some don't. I also notice that at least one drum didn't have a serial number on it but did have the same exact badge as the ones that did. Now I'm really starting to worry. Plus, at least two drums have non-see-through heads so I couldn't inspect the inner shells for consistency. I'm about to power down into a pea and roll away never to show myself again. How stupid was I? I'm thinking some of the drums are fakes and I have no idea what I have.

After several days of putzing around with head swapping and general inspection, here's what I came up with.

I'm less intelligent than an 1860's non-ornate door knob.

It turns out each drum has two badges. (DUH) I've always known this about Yamaha but never gave it much thought because I'd never been too worried about serial numbers. I've always purchased new so the serial numbers other than for insurance purposes weren't of much concern. This time because they were used I went to another post on this site looked up their age with the Yamaha date chart. It never occurred to me that they only need to put the number on one badge. I blame it on my need for speed in wanting to set them up and play right away. Um Der on me............................

As far as hoops consistency here's my take and it's only my guess. The kit was originally bought with bass drum, snare drum, 12" and 13" racks and 18" floor. They all have the labeled hoops. The 16" floor and 10" rack were added on later. They are the ones without the labeled hoops. I haven't inspected the hoops closely yet to determine if I can detect any difference. I have some new heads coming shortly and I'll find out then.

You know, you'd think with the number of years I've been doing this, I wouldn't get tripped up. But I know I don't know everything and I'm getting my Yamaha education now. Burn!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

That's OK Bish I know way less than you when it comes to buying drums as my mom bought my set in 82 for me and I have only bought add ones to my set off E Bay for my set. I have never bought a new or used pro set.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I have never bought a new or used pro set.
    Well you got lucky -- if you see anything here you like, just make Bish an offer............................better than dealing with GC.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Thanks Ricardo.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

That's OK Bish I know way less than you when it comes to buying drums as my mom bought my set in 82 for me and I have only bought add ones to my set off E Bay for my set. I have never bought a new or used pro set.
    Hey, if it's working for you, don't change a thing. I keep telling myself this is easy but it's really not. All the decisions, all the head swaps, all the extra money spent to experiment. Yeah, I wouldn't change it for anything. mauaahahahahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Well you got lucky -- if you see anything here you like, just make Bish an offer............................better than dealing with GC.
    Thanks Ricardo. I also don't charge tax. lol
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I should also add, this is one heck of a great way to learn to tune drums. I've this down to almost an art. i.e. hand tighten, tighten until a tone starts to occur. Keep turning a lug until it rings. Then tune the rest. It's amazing how once you find the sweet spot with one lug, bringing up the rest, the drum just starts to resonate unbelievably beautifully.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Bish, having worked in MI for a number of years and assembling a bunch of Yamaha kits over that time, I can tell you that finding hoops with and without stickers on them was routine. No rhyme or reason - some had them, some didn't.

There is a good chance that your kit was purchased just as you bought it. During the time your kit was produced, Yamaha was doing a dramatic stock reduction sale to dealers, offering certain Recording Custom and Beech Custom individual drums at dealer discounts up to 70% off list price. Kit configurations had to be determined by the dealer according to available sizes. The Beech Customs were offered in three colors: green, yellow, and blue. The Recording Customs were available only in Tobacco Fade. (I assembled and purchased my new Recording Custom set from this lot of discounted drums.)

This is almost certainly how your kit came to be, as its makeup does not adhere to any of the pre-configured set offerings of the time. Like at our store, I would imagine that a customer was offered a great deal on a custom assembled set chosen from the available pieces. I remember that, besides my own RC kit, I was able to sell two large, double bass drum Beech Custom sets the same way - one yellow kit and one green one. I believe this was in the early 2000s? Certainly after 2001, when the Beech Customs were introduced.

GeeDeeEmm
    Last edited by gdmoore28; 09-06-2018 at 05:02 PM.