Thread: Yamaha, I tell you this obsession is killing me

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha, I tell you this obsession is killing me

Presented a "Bish-POV" to Mrs. Bish in passing the other day. In a timely manner I explained how I have this obsession and am having a difficult time coming to grips with it.

Her reply. "Is it another drum set or another motorcycle?"

My response, "Why yes, how did you know?"

Of course she gives me this, you know, look of like she didn't already know. Yeah, we'll be married 39 years this Friday. She knows me pretty well and I know her just as well.

Yesterday out of the clear blue she asks me what the drum set looks like. I told her it was either Walnut, Cherry or Shiny Black. I explained about special financing and this and that and the other.

In the end, she said do what I need to do.

More to come. Possibly Friday. Sheesh.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha, I tell you this obsession is killing me

Awesome Bish.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Thank you, sir.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Awesome and Congrats on the Anniversary. Sounds like you have a great wife. This has inspired me to show my wife my current obsession with a Sonor SQ1 I have been eyeballing : )
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    In a timely manner I explained how I have this obsession and am having a difficult time coming to grips with it.
    I'm insanely jealous that you get to unbox these beautiful new drums, set them up various ways, play them all you want, try different heads, live gigs, studio set-ups, etc.

But I'm also satisfied I have a 41-year old classy Gretsch USA set and I don't need to deal with a horribly psychotic GAS disorder..................keep being Bish.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Another motorcycle would have been nice too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Awesome and Congrats on the Anniversary. Sounds like you have a great wife. This has inspired me to show my wife my current obsession with a Sonor SQ1 I have been eyeballing : )
    Thank you, very much. I couldn't have done any better in the wife category. Your Sonor comment is cracking me up. No time like the present. I'd like to see pictures. I love Sonor drums.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I'm insanely jealous that you get to unbox these beautiful new drums, set them up various ways, play them all you want, try different heads, live gigs, studio set-ups, etc.

But I'm also satisfied I have a 41-year old classy Gretsch USA set and I don't need to deal with a horribly psychotic GAS disorder..................keep being Bish.
    I envy you as there are several things I wish I'd kept over the years. I've never been good at that especially with music gear and cars. I'm way overboard this time. I guess this is my last hurrah so I might as well get it now. But I've really found my new brand. I don't know why it took me so long to recognize Yamaha drums. I guess because they have been historically more expensive than my mental budget. But, once I got those TAMA B/Bs, it was kinda like the first door ding in a new car. "Well that wasn't so painful." I've now escalated my drum value factor to the next level. Well this next one coming went to an entirely new level. Do I need it? Heck, No. Am I good enough for it? Heck, No. Do I want it. Heck, Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes won.

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Another motorcycle would have been nice too.
    I will tell you this. If it was Spring, the decision most likely would have gone the other way. But I don't want to buy a bike now and in a month have to store it for six until the spring thaw. Maybe after the dust settles on this current drum fiasco, that will be my final target. Of course, my guitarist and bass player are avid riders. That wasn't my realm of friends a year ago so bikes weren't ever a discussion. Now it's almost every gig some stories pop up about their weekend rides. So now that I would actually have better access to riders for more frequent rides, it would be a better investment than it was 4 years ago. We'll see.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

If I ever decide to switch away from Ludwig, it will be for Yamaha. It has been this way with me since the 80s ...

User Info Menu

now that's how you know you picked a real keeper!

User Info Menu

What makes me think that Bish's next kit will be a Yamaha PHX. lol!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    What makes me think that Bish's next kit will be a Yamaha PHX. lol!
    You would go there, wouldn't you?
    Signature here