Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Packed Up My Drums and Left Home

User Info Menu

Default Re: Packed Up My Drums and Left Home

The only thing I could say in response is. . . . . . . .ouch!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Bumping this up to say "Thanks" for the support guys! Had to come to grips with the reality of my financial situation (lack of $) so I had to do the inevitable a few months ago and sold my beloved Gretsch USA Customs (shell pack only). I know I ain't the first drummer to ever have to sell a kit(s) to get by but it was "money" sitting on the floor of my apartment that I had to turn into cash. Yes it sucked but I'll come back to Gretsch someday soon!

You gotta do what you gotta do. I went through the worst time of my life about a month ago and i’m still trying to pick up the pieces. The support I got from this forum was a massive help.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Wow, that really sucks. But....a guys gotta do what he has to do. They were awesome drums, but (I suspect) they can be easily replaced at some point in the future. If they were vintage, rare or special in some way (like belonged to your Dad, or your first kit, etc.) then it may be different. I’m sure you’ll be able to pick up another very similar Gretsch kit (maybe even one you like better) when you’re back on track.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

ugh man that's rough.... I hope it helps and I hope someday you can replace it with someone even better!

User Info Menu

................so I had to do the inevitable a few months ago and sold my beloved Gretsch USA Customs
    ACK !!!
    I am depressed with this news................I can't imagine having to make that move.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Thanks again guys! I still got the DWs and the ‘67 Ludwig 3ply Maple Classics and all of my cymbals and hardware....just a slight set back and I’ll be a smarter shopper for my next Gretsch USA.

User Info Menu

So you kept the Collectors over the vintage USAs...?!

User Info Menu

I'm a couple years on the other side of a divorce here after 23 years together. Still weird to this day. Keep on keeping on.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    So you kept the Collectors over the vintage USAs...?!
    Sort of...The Gretsch USA kit was made in 2013, first year the round badge made a return. I would of hung on to the Gretsch kit if the shells were Jasper's.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    I'm a couple years on the other side of a divorce here after 23 years together. Still weird to this day. Keep on keeping on.
    Thanks SunDog.

User Info Menu

Sort of...The Gretsch USA kit was made in 2013, first year the round badge made a return. I would of hung on to the Gretsch kit if the shells were Jasper's.

Thanks SunDog.
    Oh. I guess I thought they were older for some reason.

User Info Menu

Rich,

So sorry to hear this brother. I wondered what happened to your facebook page. Hang in there man. Good to hear from you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Rich,

So sorry to hear this brother. I wondered what happened to your facebook page. Hang in there man. Good to hear from you.
    Hey Mark thanks! Glad to be back!!

User Info Menu

Bumping this up since it’s been almost a year (August 7 ‘18) since I moved in after the break up of my marriage.

I renewed my lease for another year @ $1,215 a month ( $20.00 rent hike) for this 725 sq. ft. 1 bedroom apartment.

I finally got around to digging out my past life by opening up a few boxes of my personal belongings that the ex threw together that I left behind while I was looking for a place to live.

Even though I can’t play my kit at my new place, I decided to set it up so I can stare at it as I did when I had a garage. I find this uplifting and better than staring at the TV or surfing the net.

As you guys know I spent a lot of time in the garage when I was married but I’m relieved that I no longer have to suffer the stifling heat or the frigid cold along side my drums.

This new empowerment is such a huge factor in my life now and it has helped get over the sadness I felt when I left what I called home.

I’m in a new band and playing music again and that has also been a positive factor for me.

I’m also fortunate to have found some awesome DrumChat friends to share my musical journeys
    and I thank you guys from the bottom of my heart for all of your support.

Last edited by late8; 07-29-2019 at 09:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey Rich,
    I'm late to the dance, but sorry to hear of your situation, I'm so glad you're on your way up again, and your kit looks great! Good to be in a band that's for sure.
    All the best, Russ

User Info Menu

Rich, the best part about divorce is the freedom you have afterwards, making necessary changes, learning from past experiences and going on to a promising future. More power to you man. Glad to hear of your place and your new band.

User Info Menu

jesus California is expensive... my house payments are less than that and the house is twice the size.
    Move to Wisconsin and we'll jam all day and night lol

But I'm glad to hear you're doing good and back to jamming!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    jesus California is expensive... my house payments are less than that and the house is twice the size.

California is so damn expensive. Add $100 to what you are paying and it's what I pay for house and car.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Hey Rich,
    I'm late to the dance, but sorry to hear of your situation, I'm so glad you're on your way up again, and your kit looks great! Good to be in a band that's for sure.
    All the best, Russ
    Thanks funkyruss! I appreciate your post

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Rich, the best part about divorce is the freedom you have afterwards, making necessary changes, learning from past experiences and going on to a promising future. More power to you man. Glad to hear of your place and your new band.
    Thanks Tom. As I looked back a year later, I made some huge strides in my life. Drums and chatting with you guys is and always will be a part of my new found freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post

Thanks Spaz! I'll take you up on it !

California is so damn expensive. Add $100 to what you are paying and it's what I pay for house and car.
    Yeah living here sucks. I have 6 more years until I can retire and then I'm moving out. I penciled out what I'll get from a state pension and SS and there's no way I'll be able to make it here.

User Info Menu

Thanks funkyruss! I appreciate your post

Thanks Tom. As I looked back a year later, I made some huge strides in my life. Drums and chatting with you guys is and always will be a part of my new found freedom.

Thanks Spaz! I'll take you up on it !

Yeah living here sucks. I have 6 more years until I can retire and then I'm moving out. I penciled out what I'll get from a state pension and SS and there's no way I'll be able to make it here.

Rich, when the time comes, don't rule out the south. My house up in NJ, would sell for $450-500K, and there isn't 1 place in my old hometown (unless they wanted to put it in the park) where I could have the property I have, 110'x168', and there are people, just in my neighborhood, that have 3,4,even 5x the amount of property I do. I made out like a bandit for less than $150K.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Glad things are looking up for you ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    Glad things are looking up for you ...
    Thanks dangermoney. Got myself into a 12 step program and found a great sponsor and sought out a therapist...picking myself up by the bootstraps and dusting myself off one day at a time.
    Last edited by late8; 07-30-2019 at 09:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Rich, when the time comes, don't rule out the south. My house up in NJ, would sell for $450-500K, and there isn't 1 place in my old hometown (unless they wanted to put it in the park) where I could have the property I have, 110'x168', and there are people, just in my neighborhood, that have 3,4,even 5x the amount of property I do. I made out like a bandit for less than $150K.
    Thanks for the reality check Rick! I'm know you may have had bumps in the road but you're very fortunate to have done the things you wanted to do and still come out on top. Good for you brother!
    Last edited by late8; 07-30-2019 at 10:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reality check Rick! I'm know you may have had bumps in the road but you're very fortunate to have done the things you wanted to do and still come out on top. Good for you brother!

Rich, I got so lucky in a lot of ways. I had told a friend that I didn't make a lot of mistakes in my life, BUT, WHEN I MADE THEM THEY WERE THE EQUIVALENT OF 10 MISTAKES ANYBODY ELSE MIGHT MAKE.

I remember writing something about drumming and life about 3-4 years ago on DC. Someone posted that I had led a charmed life, and I remember sitting in my chair looking at that post for several minutes thinking "Man, if you only knew".

There were only 2 things that I had going for me in my life. #1 was being pro level stubborn to a degree that qualified as stupidity. #2 Never realizing when I was being stupid when I was so obviously stupid that my dog knew it.

Rich, you are a good man, you will be fine. I know that for a fact!!!

If you ever feel like talking, I'm there my brother.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Rich, I got so lucky in a lot of ways. I had told a friend that I didn't make a lot of mistakes in my life, BUT, WHEN I MADE THEM THEY WERE THE EQUIVALENT OF 10 MISTAKES ANYBODY ELSE MIGHT MAKE.

I remember writing something about drumming and life about 3-4 years ago on DC. Someone posted that I had led a charmed life, and I remember sitting in my chair looking at that post for several minutes thinking "Man, if you only knew".

There were only 2 things that I had going for me in my life. #1 was being pro level stubborn to a degree that qualified as stupidity. #2 Never realizing when I was being stupid when I was so obviously stupid that my dog knew it.

Rich, you are a good man, you will be fine. I know that for a fact!!!

If you ever feel like talking, I'm there my brother.
    Thanks Rick! I truly appreciate your candor.

User Info Menu

Rich, I'm still catching up here, so I ran across this thread and got to read about your journey since the divorce. I know it's been tough (been there, did that), but I'm glad you were able to cling to the things that could help you through (also been there, did that). As to the relationship with your son, just continue to be there for him, and tell him you love him, and it will work out. When I went through my divorce, I was so worried about losing the relationship I had with my kids. A friend told me that he went through the same thing, but over time the kids just became closer and closer to him. The same thing happened with me, and over the years I have talked with my kids by phone on a regular basis, and have tried to see them personally for their milestone moments, and any time in between.

Today, I am retired and living with my daughter and her family (yes, I made darn sure that my son-in-law was onboard with this ). All this happened because my daughter and son-in-law needed help with their kids (didn't want them in daycare all the time), and my daughter was comfortable with the idea of me spending the rest of my life with them. My son is going through a rough patch in his life right now, and he and I talk nearly every day. I tell you this so that you will know that all is not necessarily going to be what, on the surface, might appear to be right now.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!