Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Yes, they arrived today with a host of other goodies.

    Got new direct drive double pedal, direct drive 2-legged hi-hat stand, two boom cymbal stands.

    I also got a set of bags for my Stage Customs which will be gigging tomorrow night, next Wednesday and who knows after that.

    Finally, I got matching heads for all the toms of the Beech kit.

    I've been busy tonight.








    Signature here

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house







    Signature here

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Oh snap. Awesome kit. May I recommend the RC brass snare to go with it? I picked one up last year, and absolutely love it.

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Aw man i'm jealin for sure. Definitely one of my dream kits - any color really but particularly the white ones. I've always wanted to play a set of those, really love the long lug design and classic lacquers. Nice choice!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

    Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Very nice, those are great drums and the hardware is so underrated.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,12x9,16x16

    Alesis Strike Pro SE

    Sabian HHX 21" ride and AAX crashes, Zildjian 14" K hybrid hats

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Great kit Bish
    Conrad

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    looks like i need to make a road trip back!!! Those are absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!
    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 9pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor |5pc PDP Concept Maple Classic | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini | 65 Snare drums and growing!

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    You're welcome any time.
    Signature here

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Chrome Kick Port on black Reso. . . . . .right? lol.

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Very nice, those are great drums and the hardware is so underrated.
    I fully agree. I'm just now investing in some of Yamaha's higher end hardware to try out. Even the lighter stuff works great. Quality all around!
    Last edited by Bish; 09-10-2018 at 09:33 AM.
    Signature here

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Chrome Kick Port on black Reso. . . . . .right? lol.
    Is that what you are suggesting? Otherwise I did that with my 18" bass drum.

    Signature here

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Awesome kit Bish! Congrats on the new gear.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 Cranberry Red 14x5 Ludwig Acrolite (1976)
    Zildjian A Custom Hats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

    Pearl Masters Studio Birch MBX 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16 White Mist 14x6.5 Masters Studio Birch Snare
    Zildjian 14" New Beats, Sabian 22" AA Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash
    Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Awesome kit Bish! Congrats on the new gear.
    Thank you, very much. Funny thing with the new RCs. I haven't had any time to sit down and play them. All of the toms came tuned up and I hit them a few times.

    I need some time to just play. I'll keep you posted.
    Signature here

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Beautiful kit, great choice with the config. RC’s are the only kit left on my shortlist.

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Beautiful kit. The continuous lugs are timeless.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

    -Mike

  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Slight question, for whenever you get a chance to play them both. Seeing as how the Stage Customs and Recording Customs are both birch sets, but one of them is priced in the professional range, do you notice a great difference in sound between the two? Would you be missing out on a lot if you went for a Stage Custom instead of a Recording Custom? Just for inquiring minds.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

    Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    Beautiful kit, great choice with the config. RC’s are the only kit left on my shortlist.

    Thanks! Let me know when you are ready and we'll talk about a deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Beautiful kit. The continuous lugs are timeless.

    Yeah, that look got to me, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Slight question, for whenever you get a chance to play them both. Seeing as how the Stage Customs and Recording Customs are both birch sets, but one of them is priced in the professional range, do you notice a great difference in sound between the two? Would you be missing out on a lot if you went for a Stage Custom instead of a Recording Custom? Just for inquiring minds.

    I've played birch kits for years and really like them. My Stage Customs are the bomb the way they tune up so easily, no matter the head choice. In the only fair comparison I have so far was to compare hitting then out of the box. Believe it or not, I liked the Stage Customs better. I don't know if it's head choice or tuning but what little I've messed with the RCs, I'm not yet impressed.
    Signature here

  18. #18

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Thanks! Let me know when you are ready and we'll talk about a deal.
    Save the boxes, I'm not too far away in WI. Maybe we should have conferenced beforehand and I could have talked you into the 20" kick

  19. #19

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Slight question, for whenever you get a chance to play them both. Seeing as how the Stage Customs and Recording Customs are both birch sets, but one of them is priced in the professional range, do you notice a great difference in sound between the two? Would you be missing out on a lot if you went for a Stage Custom instead of a Recording Custom? Just for inquiring minds.
    May I answer as one who has owned both? (Keep in mind that both my kits were bought new in the late 1990s.)

    Even though I'm a strong advocate for the $800 - $1000 kits and the extreme value they represent, there is just no denying that when it comes to Stage Customs and Recording Customs, there is no comparison between the two when it comes to quality construction. The RCs are made of the best quality and most dense birch available. And this is where the Air Seal Construction really shows its stuff. The RC shells are HEAVY and as stiff as steel. I wouldn't be surprised if the RC shells are 30% heavier than equivalent SC shells. The RC shells are sealed inside with a rock-hard sealer. It was impossible to dent them with a fingernail. And the exterior finish (mine were tobacco burst) was second to none, with a glossy finish that would make Mercedes Benz proud. Add the RC hardware into the equation and you have a drum that is incredibly substantial. The SC shells were not close by comparison. The birch was noticeably lighter and unfinished inside. It was easy to dent them with a fingernail's pressure. The finish only hinted at a gloss and looked, well, cheaply done.

    Speaking of hardware, my two kits were object lessons in quality steel and chrome plating. The RCs were near perfect in that department. There were zero machine markings, zero casting errors, and chrome plating that reminded me of the quality one used to see in Premier kits. The chrome looked deep and lustrous with obvious care taken in pre-chrome polishing. The SCs, on the other hand, had only average-looking castings, obvious machine markings on the hoops, and only a rudimentary, thin chrome plating.

    But what about sound? They were quite different-sounding kits, with the RCs delivering the tom sound that made them famous - a focused tone with little harmonic interaction. That's why they sound so great on recordings and when miked. The SCs were not my cup of tea, with a more generalized tone that one would have a hard time picking out of a crowd. The SCs do not deliver the birch sound that made Yamaha famous.

    But . . . neither of them sounded "best" or "worst." Why? Because drum tone preferences are 100% in the ear of the player. I can understand some people being unimpressed by the RCs focused, precise, sharp-as-a-knife tom sound. I loved it, but those same qualities hurt the bass drum sound to me. I could never make my RC bass drum sound exactly the way I wanted. Others might prefer the more "general" sound of the SCs - it's a sound that has engendered itself to most people in the drum market because, honestly, it's the same sound you hear from almost every kit in its price range - birch, maple, or other wood types.

    GeeDeeEmm

    Here's a pic I recently found of me and Recording Customs

    Band Back Forty 001.jpg

  20. #20

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Thanks for the heads up there gdmoore. I had no idea the birch could be so different of a quality between the two. That's very interesting to know that it is, as well as the weight is changed a bit too. I had always wondered why the RC's were priced so much higher but couldn't figure out why. I thought for sure it was cause of the hardware and maybe inner lacquering? I mean those lugs seem pretty unique, I haven't seen them on any of Yamaha's modern designs. The kit you're playing though, hoowah that's a pretty nice finish. Does the weight ever bother you when you're gigging the Recording Customs?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

    Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

  21. #21

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Thanks for the heads up there gdmoore. I had no idea the birch could be so different of a quality between the two. That's very interesting to know that it is, as well as the weight is changed a bit too. I had always wondered why the RC's were priced so much higher but couldn't figure out why. I thought for sure it was cause of the hardware and maybe inner lacquering? I mean those lugs seem pretty unique, I haven't seen them on any of Yamaha's modern designs. The kit you're playing though, hoowah that's a pretty nice finish. Does the weight ever bother you when you're gigging the Recording Customs?
    I have the long lugs on my 97 stage customs. After that time period they only put the on the upper end kits. . . . . I lucked out! lol.DSC01758.jpg

  22. #22

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    May I answer as one who has owned both? (Keep in mind that both my kits were bought new in the late 1990s.)

    Even though I'm a strong advocate for the $800 - $1000 kits and the extreme value they represent, there is just no denying that when it comes to Stage Customs and Recording Customs, there is no comparison between the two when it comes to quality construction. The RCs are made of the best quality and most dense birch available. And this is where the Air Seal Construction really shows its stuff. The RC shells are HEAVY and as stiff as steel. I wouldn't be surprised if the RC shells are 30% heavier than equivalent SC shells. The RC shells are sealed inside with a rock-hard sealer. It was impossible to dent them with a fingernail. And the exterior finish (mine were tobacco burst) was second to none, with a glossy finish that would make Mercedes Benz proud. Add the RC hardware into the equation and you have a drum that is incredibly substantial. The SC shells were not close by comparison. The birch was noticeably lighter and unfinished inside. It was easy to dent them with a fingernail's pressure. The finish only hinted at a gloss and looked, well, cheaply done.

    Speaking of hardware, my two kits were object lessons in quality steel and chrome plating. The RCs were near perfect in that department. There were zero machine markings, zero casting errors, and chrome plating that reminded me of the quality one used to see in Premier kits. The chrome looked deep and lustrous with obvious care taken in pre-chrome polishing. The SCs, on the other hand, had only average-looking castings, obvious machine markings on the hoops, and only a rudimentary, thin chrome plating.

    But what about sound? They were quite different-sounding kits, with the RCs delivering the tom sound that made them famous - a focused tone with little harmonic interaction. That's why they sound so great on recordings and when miked. The SCs were not my cup of tea, with a more generalized tone that one would have a hard time picking out of a crowd. The SCs do not deliver the birch sound that made Yamaha famous.

    But . . . neither of them sounded "best" or "worst." Why? Because drum tone preferences are 100% in the ear of the player. I can understand some people being unimpressed by the RCs focused, precise, sharp-as-a-knife tom sound. I loved it, but those same qualities hurt the bass drum sound to me. I could never make my RC bass drum sound exactly the way I wanted. Others might prefer the more "general" sound of the SCs - it's a sound that has engendered itself to most people in the drum market because, honestly, it's the same sound you hear from almost every kit in its price range - birch, maple, or other wood types.

    GeeDeeEmm
    The stage customs form the 90's are quite a bit different then what they are offering today. There was definitely more of a quality gap between the two series back then. The Stage Customs they have today are of much better quality.

    I would be interested to see a direct comparison of the old Japanese RC's compared to the kit Bish just bought though.

  23. #23

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Thanks for the heads up there gdmoore. I had no idea the birch could be so different of a quality between the two. That's very interesting to know that it is, as well as the weight is changed a bit too. I had always wondered why the RC's were priced so much higher but couldn't figure out why. I thought for sure it was cause of the hardware and maybe inner lacquering? I mean those lugs seem pretty unique, I haven't seen them on any of Yamaha's modern designs. The kit you're playing though, hoowah that's a pretty nice finish. Does the weight ever bother you when you're gigging the Recording Customs?
    Weight didn't bother me at that time. I still had a strong back in those days!

    GeeDeeEmm

  24. #24

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    The stage customs form the 90's are quite a bit different then what they are offering today. There was definitely more of a quality gap between the two series back then. The Stage Customs they have today are of much better quality.

    I would be interested to see a direct comparison of the old Japanese RC's compared to the kit Bish just bought though.
    This is the closest I could find, Sakae Birch (factory that built old RC's for yamaha in Japan) vs New RC's built in China. Shane is a very informative guy but to skip all that and go to the kits start at 3:25, but if you do not know the history I would recommend watching the whole thing.

    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,12x9,16x16

    Alesis Strike Pro SE

    Sabian HHX 21" ride and AAX crashes, Zildjian 14" K hybrid hats

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

  25. #25

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    This is the closest I could find, Sakae Birch (factory that built old RC's for yamaha in Japan) vs New RC's built in China. Shane is a very informative guy but to skip all that and go to the kits start at 3:25, but if you do not know the history I would recommend watching the whole thing.

    I've seen this video a while back and in this particular video, I thought the Sakae drums sounded better IMO. informative video though.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 09-13-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •