Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44

Thread: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

  1. #26

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I've seen this video a while back and in this particular video, I thought the Sakae drums sounded better IMO. informative video though.
    I did, too, until I kept comparing them and realized that the reason the Sakai sounded better was because they are tuned a shade higher on the toms. This gives the toms a chance to really shine and brings that famous birch snap and tone-specific response to the forefront. I'd wager that if both set of toms were tuned the same, it would be impossible to tell them apart. But, on this video the Sakai definitely take the prize.

    GeeDeeEmm

  2. #27

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Interesting video. I wonder if the heads make the difference?


    Thanks for that video, GD!!
    Signature here

  3. #28

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Birch is gonna have highs no matter how you tune it. That's the property of the wood from the get go. But, a higher quality birch might take you places you never dreamed, which really sparks my interest. I mean that's just a kit i've always admired and wanted to play, if ever I could find the white ones i'd get em. Might even put die cast hoops on em, even if they are heavy shells!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

    Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

  4. #29

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Birch is gonna have highs no matter how you tune it. That's the property of the wood from the get go. But, a higher quality birch might take you places you never dreamed, which really sparks my interest. I mean that's just a kit i've always admired and wanted to play, if ever I could find the white ones i'd get em. Might even put die cast hoops on em, even if they are heavy shells!
    I agree, I still like Maple but if I had to choose one it would most definitely be Birch. I got to Play an SQ1 and a Pro-lite a few months back side by side and they were both great but the SQ1 really stood out for me. I do not know what Sonor does differently but man they are phenomenal kits. I hope to own one someday.
    Sonor Essential Force Birch

    Mapex Saturn V

    Zildjian K and Stagg DH Cymbals

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

  5. #30

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I agree, I still like Maple but if I had to choose one it would most definitely be Birch. I got to Play an SQ1 and a Pro-lite a few months back side by side and they were both great but the SQ1 really stood out for me. I do not know what Sonor does differently but man they are phenomenal kits. I hope to own one someday.
    Hey, Sonor has been doing it for a long time! It's those German's I guess! lol. If I were younger I'd pick up an SQ2 or SQ1 today, or if I were pro I'd definitely go with Sonor! I have 7 kits now, I call it quits! I'm happy with what I have! I never married or had kids so I was able to spend my hard earned money on my hobby. Maybe I should sell off 2/3rd's of my kits and get an SQ2 beechwood, my ultimate Dream kit LOL

  6. #31

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Sonor SQ2 is anything in the world that you want it to be. As expensive as it is, I don't see another reason to buy any other kit. The program provides all options. It's acrylics, birch, maple, beech, pick your ply count, anything you can dream of. Even Pearl Masterworks is a lil beat here, they do a mighty fine job of giving drummers a wide variety of sound to pick from. Sonor seems to really have things down in the drum market today. My only real gripe with them is they charge entirely too much for their drums. I would love to buy a set but it's always been forbiddingly expensive to do, sigh. I will have to live vicariously through the youtube videos of drummers who have used them, like Nicko McBrain.
    Last edited by Russ; 09-14-2018 at 04:33 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

    Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

  7. #32

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Sonor SQ2 is anything in the world that you want it to be. As expensive as it is, I don't see another reason to buy any other kit. The program provides all options. It's acrylics, birch, maple, beech, pick your ply count, anything you can dream of. Even Pearl Masterworks is a lil beat here, they do a mighty fine job of giving drummers a wide variety of sound to pick from. Sonor seems to really have things down in the drum market today. My only real gripe with them is they charge entirely too much for their drums. I would love to buy a set but it's always been forbiddingly expensive to do, sigh. I will have to live vicariously through the youtube videos of drummers who have used them, like Nicko McBrain.
    Anything you buy 'German" is expensive! their cars, tools, etc. lol!

  8. #33

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    I guess so, i'm starting to learn quite painfully.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

    Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

  9. #34

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I agree, I still like Maple but if I had to choose one it would most definitely be Birch. I got to Play an SQ1 and a Pro-lite a few months back side by side and they were both great but the SQ1 really stood out for me. I do not know what Sonor does differently but man they are phenomenal kits. I hope to own one someday.
    I have maple/gum Jasper Gretsch USA shells and I have Ludwig birch/maple/birch shells.
    I always go back to the old Gretsch.


    Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Hey, Sonor has been doing it for a long time! It's those German's I guess! lol. If I were younger I'd pick up an SQ2 or SQ1 today, or if I were pro I'd definitely go with Sonor! I have 7 kits now, I call it quits! I'm happy with what I have! I never married or had kids so I was able to spend my hard earned money on my hobby. Maybe I should sell off 2/3rd's of my kits and get an SQ2 beechwood, my ultimate Dream kit LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Anything you buy 'German" is expensive! their cars, tools, etc. lol!
    When I was in music school, Sonor supplied all the practice room kits to the school.
    We had four drum-kit-practice-rooms and all of them had Sonor bop kits of 12/14/18.
    I liked them....................small footprint (small practice room/large closet) and good sound.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  10. #35

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I have maple/gum Jasper Gretsch USA shells and I have Ludwig birch/maple/birch shells.
    I always go back to the old Gretsch




    When I was in music school, Sonor supplied all the practice room kits to the school.
    We had four drum-kit-practice-rooms and all of them had Sonor bop kits of 12/14/18.
    I liked them....................small footprint (small practice room/large closet) and good sound.
    Yeah, I have the Sonor Safari's and I love'em! I think as far as the Bop kits go the Sonor's and Gretsch's with the 18" bass drum format are the way to go! IMO

  11. #36

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Yeah, I have the Sonor Safari's and I love'em! I think as far as the Bop kits go the Sonor's and Gretsch's with the 18" bass drum format are the way to go! IMO

    I dunno. My Tama Silverstar bopper will give them a run. I'm getting my Yamaha with the 18" bass drum dialed in, as well. (Just got it.) I have no doubt the Sonor and Gretsch kits are amazing. I've heard recordings of them.

    I guess there aren't too many bop kits I don't respect. I still haven't warmed up to a 16" bass drum yet, but alas, I haven't heard too many so not much basis for a fair comparison.
    Signature here

  12. #37

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Hey Bish.

    After having this kit for a while, do you have any additional thoughts about it, or maybe some comparisons to some of the other nice kits you have owned?

    Is the honeymoon period still in full swing?

  13. #38

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I have maple/gum Jasper Gretsch USA shells and I have Ludwig birch/maple/birch shells.
    I always go back to the old Gretsch.
    Yeah but I am talking 100% Birch, I have seen a few of those Maple/Birch hybrids and they always fall short IMO. I remember when those Ludwigs came out, man they were some gorgeous kits but the sound was ehh, not saying it was bad but lets just say the looks are better than the sound. The Mapex Armory is also somewhat disappointing sound wise IMO. I do not think Maple and Birch combine well together in one shell.

    Now I have heard a few kits with Maple Bass drums and snares combined with Birch toms and they are fantastic.
    Sonor Essential Force Birch

    Mapex Saturn V

    Zildjian K and Stagg DH Cymbals

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

  14. #39

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by -bongos- View Post
    Hey Bish.

    After having this kit for a while, do you have any additional thoughts about it, or maybe some comparisons to some of the other nice kits you have owned?

    Is the honeymoon period still in full swing?
    I'm not on the honeymoon yet. Still sorting out head selection.

    These are the most finicky of drums, I've ever experienced.

    Jury is still out and I'm working feverishly to get them dialed in.
    Last edited by Bish; 10-25-2018 at 05:58 PM.
    Signature here

  15. #40

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    I always had an issue with my BCA kit sounding very boxy in smaller rooms. In a bigger space they sing for days.

  16. #41

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Not so much boxy as just plain dead. Easy to choke them out and no definitive shell note.

    I think I am getting somewhere. I am on my 4th set of different heads.
    Signature here

  17. #42

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Don't know if I've already posted this, but when I had my Recording Customs, I tried almost every type of head on the market at that time and eventually ended up right back with the heads they were shipped with: Remo Clear Pinstripes over Remo Clear Ambassadors. I loved the sound of the Pinstripe/Ambassador combination right from the beginning, but just had to try and wrestle the last bit of tone out of the RCs. Yamaha had clearly already done the testing for me!

    GeeDeeEmm

  18. #43

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    I played a SD-065D with the round over edges and parallel action strainer throughout the 80s and that drum really shined when mic'd. Still have it today but it's been in storage since the early 90's.

    Lately though I've been checking out the new RC birch snares that will soon be available for purchase in the U.S. and man that 8 x 14 is to die for in oh so many ways. The drum looks good, the build quality is superb, and I love the new Yamaha RC North American Birch snare sound. I am seriously thinking about getting one of these in piano black to use with my black sparkle Ludwig Classic Maple kit ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 10-26-2018 at 11:39 PM.

  19. #44

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Yamaha Recording Customs - in the house

    Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I played a SD-065D with the round over edges and parallel action strainer throughout the 80s and that drum really shined when mic'd. Still have it today but it's been in storage since the early 90's.

    Lately though I've been checking out the new RC birch snares that will soon be available for purchase in the U.S. and man that 8 x 14 is to die for in oh so many ways. The drum looks good, the build quality is superb, and I love the new Yamaha RC North American Birch snare sound. I am seriously thinking about getting one of these in piano black to use with my black sparkle Ludwig Classic Maple kit ...
    I think I'm going to have to acquire one of those, too. It will round out my kit perfectly. I have too many snares now. Should I have another sale? lol
    Signature here

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •