Thread: Hats won't sit straight

User Info Menu

Default Hats won't sit straight

Hey guys, I just grabbed 2 pairs of hats last week: HHX Groove hats and Diril Primitive 15s. Anyway, the Dirils are always sloppy in how they close and I noticed they never sit one on top of the other no matter how I adjust the tilter. I changed the felt thinking it might be flattened on one spot or something, no dice. Then I pulled out my digital caliber and measured the holes in each bottom hat.

The Groove hat was bang on 0.500" while the Dirils are 0.515". Do you think that's enough to cause shifting of the bottom hat? Regardless, I want to fix this as the Dirils sound more interesting and I'm leaning towards selling the Groove hats. What can remedy this? Thanks for your tips!
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hats won't sit straight

Do they intentionally make the Dirils so they're uneven? 15's a big cymbal, may perhaps need something stronger to secure them?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

This really bothers me too. Most Sabian hihats i’ve played don’t sit straight. It doesn’t really affect the sound though I find
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

My 70’s Zildjian Quick Beats have a rubber grommet on the center hole of the bottom hat. With the grommet, the bottom hat fits tight on the hi-hat post. You may try the same thing on your bottom hat. You can buy the grommet at most hardware stores.

2F1CF0DD-D5E9-4F89-BDAB-7C85BE51AF57.jpeg
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    My 70’s Zildjian Quick Beats have a rubber grommet on the center hole of the bottom hat. With the grommet, the bottom hat fits tight on the hi-hat post. You may try the same thing on your bottom hat. You can buy the grommet at most hardware stores.

2F1CF0DD-D5E9-4F89-BDAB-7C85BE51AF57.jpeg
    Yeah, Brian is right also try a Grom-bal which is similar. They are made for cymbals, though iin that application you would install it upside down on the Hi-Hat bottom cymbal so the flat side of the Grombal is facing down. I have Grombals on all of my cymbals and they are awesome!
    Last edited by drummerMD; 09-10-2018 at 12:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Yeah, Brian is right also try a Grom-bal which is similar. They are made for cymbals, though iin that application you would install it upside down on the Hi-Hat bottom cymbal so the flat side of the Grombal is facing down. I have Grombals on all of my cymbals and they are awesome!
    Interesting. I'd not heard of Grombals.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Interesting. I'd not heard of Grombals.
    Me either ... interesting. The only thing I thought of was to try and find a larger diameter top cup ... sorry I don't have the technical name but the plastic piece that the pull rod goes through.

I guess it could be thickened up with something available around the house too..
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Yeah Gromblas are pretty cool and protect the cymbals. although they do wear out so you need to check them once in awhile. They now come in a few different colors as well.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Grombals are cool....
    Just remember to NEVER get them wet and NEVER feed them after midnight.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Grombals are cool....
    Just remember to NEVER get them wet and NEVER feed them after midnight.
    hahahaha
    I've never wanted a perfectly straight pair of hi-hats so I'm not sure what to tell you to fix this.

User Info Menu

^^ Good one N2Bluz

The post of the bottom hat (cup) measures 0.449" FWIW.

I went and ordered one of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Gibraltar-SC-.../dp/B000EEL6VO

And also these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Cympad-OSSP-O...ywords=cympads

Neither costs much, worth a try...
    I did make some progress by tightening the top hat. Usually I set it as the looser of the 2 but in this case the bottom is already loose and I get closer to the feel I want this way. It's odd but there's less offset and it sounds cleaner. Playing with the spring tension helped some too.
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Me either ... interesting. The only thing I thought of was to try and find a larger diameter top cup ... sorry I don't have the technical name but the plastic piece that the pull rod goes through.

I guess it could be thickened up with something available around the house too..
    The best thing you can do is go online and check them out. They've been around for a while. They stay on the cymbal. I put a flat chrome washer on then a felt washer on then set a cone or plastic sleeve with the sleeve part cut off, just the base part with the cone part facing up then put the cymbal on with the grom-bal an then I cap it off with a Tama plastic lock cap and that's it! I'll have to post pics! lol. You eliminate felt washers on top and more free cymbal movement when hitting them.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 09-10-2018 at 07:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Fotor_153664290434692_zpscf18keem_edit_1536643014137_zpsobpjam5n.jpg

Here's a pic of how the bottom hat sits on the cup post... Suppose I should have shown the offsets too but it's much better now @ around 1/16".

User Info Menu

If you find a solution that will make hi hats consistently sit perfectly when they are closed, you will solve a problem that has aggravated drummers since the invention of the hi hat. I've played for over fifty years, and it does not matter the brand or size of the HH cymbals or the brand of the HH stand, the bottom cymbal seems to be possessed. For twenty gigs they will close perfectly, then out of nowhere they will not. I've gone through a succession of "remedies" from various felt sizes and thicknesses to different HH seats and tilters, and nothing provides day-in, day-out repeatability. I gave up fixes years ago, but I haven't given up the frustration. (Though it is an insignificant problem, considering . . . .)

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Just an opinion here, but would you really want them to sit perfectly straight? Your sticks would likely hit them from an unsympathetic angle, leading to faster cracking. Which would then lead to you spending more to replace your investments, and you shouldn't have to do that often, right? Maybe it's just better this way?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Hey guys, just a note to say that the Cympads came in and they do bring out some highs and sustain. I was surprised, didn't expect much difference. It does nothing to centre my bottom hat, but the sound is improved slightly. Works awesome on my ride and china too, haven't tried the crashes or splash yet, they use Grombals... Stay tuned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Just an opinion here, but would you really want them to sit perfectly straight? Your sticks would likely hit them from an unsympathetic angle, leading to faster cracking. Which would then lead to you spending more to replace your investments, and you shouldn't have to do that often, right? Maybe it's just better this way?
    No, definitely don't want "perfect" straightness, they were just WAY off when I started this thread. I shoulda taken a pic... Got a piece of heat-shrink tubing on the post of the cup, helps a little bit but still very loose. Hoping that rubber seat will offer some control?

User Info Menu

I wanna say something not just to you but to everyone here. Much as i've tried, i've never once managed to get my hi hats straight, and I mean perfectly on the dot straight. I don't personally feel like there's a big meaning to, you're probably a great drummer - do you really feel like you need absolute straightness to make good music? I don't; I think you could probably do it without it, if a hi hat bends at a sympathetic angle that just makes it all the easier to play. It's a plus for you, a positive, one more thing that makes drumming easier and more fun to do yeah?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments