Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT --- Other Hobbies and Habits

User Info Menu

Default OT --- Other Hobbies and Habits

I look at posts here that reflect other hobbies among us drummers.

Many (like Rick and Spaz) love cars; others like sports, movies, or maybe video games.
    All of us like food, and some like to prepare it too.
    Someday, Bish will find his dream to open the first national Drum Pawn Shop Recording Studios --- he can buy one of those failing Sears locations.

I used to play a lot of golf.
    I took up golf in college because I wanted to have one thing in common with my Dad.............he had a heart attack (his first one) when he was 48.............I was in graduate school at the time and (of course) playing in a band -- in fact, the late night telephone call I received that informed me my Dad was in the hospital and might not make it out, was at 3AM when I got home from playing a gig.
    He worked all the time at a job I never would have wanted -- I went to college and played drums at night -- two things he never did.
    I think his job/career was the main reason he died at age 59............but I got 11 years of golf and fun with him before his departure in 1988.

So I took up golf for him and I discovered I really liked it..............here we are years later and I played religiously until two years ago.
    I decided I just did not have time for family, work, my band, and golf.
    From those four, I assigned golf the lowest priority and quit...........I now stay completely busy with the other three.
    Although I enjoy the game, I never was really good at golf --- my lowest handicap ever is an 8 --- and that lasted one season around 2006.
    I can resume golf when I quit one of the other three...........hopefully that will be work.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: OT --- Other Hobbies and Habits

That's awesome. I love my cars and music too my dad died at 42 of a heart attack. I never took up golf like he did but I did bowl like him just not in leagues. I was 4 when he died. Glad you had the golf outings with him.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I am a sportswriter by trade, so sports is big in my household, especially with my son playing baseball, making All-Stars, etc. We also like bowling, hunting, fishing, and riding backroads with the music up and windows down.

My kids and I train in martial arts as well and often compete in open tournaments.

20180623_135724.jpg

20180623_121136.jpg

FB_IMG_1536858702639.jpg
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Cars, bowling (I was bowler of the year in Hudson County about 10 years ago. Carried a 225+ average once I was able to practice more often. 30 300 games and 14 800 series) Pool, mainly 9 ball.

I also collected the ladies. Most of them did not want to be collected, but, you have to try.

I was a hyper-competitive kid. Little League, Babe Ruth league, football, basketball. If curling was around back then, I probably would have bought a broom and went at that.

Every month or so, I try to bust Tom. I'm due Tom!!!!!
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

WOW thats impressive Rick, I love golfing, Bowling, and motorcycling. Like Ricardo I had to give one up and it too was golfing abuot 5 years ago and now that the wife and I are empty nesters we started golfing again 2 weeks ago and wow am I rusty, Plus everyone is goofing on my Ping clubs I bought in 1998 but hey I still shot a 97 last weekend and looking to better that this sat. but it is a different course.

I am also into my 2nd year of a bowling league, we just finished week 2 this year and my avg over the last 2yrs is now 177. Last week 1st game I bowled a 213, and 2nd game a 137 so that tells ya all you need to know there....... LOL

Oh yeah I almost forgot I just started guitar lessons for the 1st time (52yrs old) 3 weeks ago,, man that is a tough instrument to learn!!!..friggin stupid F chord..
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Been touring the country in my 45' Haul mark super c motor coach haven't been home in 18 months.

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Among my other many hobbies, the biggest one is building stereo speakers. Here's my latest project. They are 6.5 cu ft mdf/striped mahogany cabs fitted with Altec Lansing components: 416Z woofers; 802D drivers; 511B horns; and a 2nd order LR crossover with CD horn driver compensation. There are also Beyma CP21F slotted super tweeters behind the grills. In essence, they are augmented Altec A7 Voice Of The Theater components in slightly smaller corner cabinets. These are powered by two Dynaco Mk.IV tube monobloc amplifiers. And they sound freakin' awesome.

GeeDeeEmm

Altec Complete 015.jpgAltec Complete 004.jpgStereo Pictures 002.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    WOW thats impressive Rick, I love golfing, Bowling, and motorcycling. Like Ricardo I had to give one up and it too was golfing abuot 5 years ago and now that the wife and I are empty nesters we started golfing again 2 weeks ago and wow am I rusty, Plus everyone is goofing on my Ping clubs I bought in 1998 but hey I still shot a 97 last weekend and looking to better that this sat. but it is a different course.

I am also into my 2nd year of a bowling league, we just finished week 2 this year and my avg over the last 2yrs is now 177. Last week 1st game I bowled a 213, and 2nd game a 137 so that tells ya all you need to know there....... LOL

Oh yeah I almost forgot I just started guitar lessons for the 1st time (52yrs old) 3 weeks ago,, man that is a tough instrument to learn!!!..friggin stupid F chord..
    MDK, the trick in bowling is a good spare game. If you throw 3 strikes in a game, and can do 8 and 9 counts and spare, that's a 200 average. A double and 2 more strikes, that's a 210 average, a 3 bagger and a double, and you're in the 220's. If you're in the 170's, improve your spare game and you will be at 200.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I absolutely love to hunt, specifically with handguns. I can walk in deep woods with nothing but a handgun, and be happy for a long long time.

My other passion that rarely gets excercised is aviation. I've had my pilots license for 27 years and love flying. But general aviation is ridiculously expensive and very hard for me to justify.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    I absolutely love to hunt, specifically with handguns. I can walk in deep woods with nothing but a handgun, and be happy for a long long time.

My other passion that rarely gets excercised is aviation. I've had my pilots license for 27 years and love flying. But general aviation is ridiculously expensive and very hard for me to justify.
    Tex, I've heard of folks hunting with handguns, but I've never met anybody who does so. What kind of hunting do you do? Which handgun do you use? Can you tell us which loads you use depending on the specific game you are going after?

I come from a family of pilots. My dad was a pilot (and restorer, seller), my brother was a pilot, my cousin flew 'copters in VN and then went on to flying business execs, and now works in demonstrating corporate jets to customers. Best friends were wanna' be stunt pilots and builders of experimental copters and airplanes. I was around airplanes so routinely that they literally bored me. I worked on my private license to the point of soloing and then quit. I just wasn't interested.

Like anything else, if one wants to be good at something, it requires commitment and dedication. In the place of airplanes, it also requires a sharp mind and a keen sense of safety - not to mention deep pockets. So, I admire you and all the other folks who fly. By the way, what kind of planes do you fly?

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Don't read this post. I can't talk about my other hobby here.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Tex, I've heard of folks hunting with handguns, but I've never met anybody who does so. What kind of hunting do you do? Which handgun do you use? Can you tell us which loads you use depending on the specific game you are going after?

I come from a family of pilots. My dad was a pilot (and restorer, seller), my brother was a pilot, my cousin flew 'copters in VN and then went on to flying business execs, and now works in demonstrating corporate jets to customers. Best friends were wanna' be stunt pilots and builders of experimental copters and airplanes. I was around airplanes so routinely that they literally bored me. I worked on my private license to the point of soloing and then quit. I just wasn't interested.

Like anything else, if one wants to be good at something, it requires commitment and dedication. In the place of airplanes, it also requires a sharp mind and a keen sense of safety - not to mention deep pockets. So, I admire you and all the other folks who fly. By the way, what kind of planes do you fly?

GeeDeeEmm
    Thanks for asking GDM. I have a few that I hunt with but my favorite is a Smith and Wesson 460 XVR. Handloaded ammo - maximum book charge pushing a 250 grain Barmes XPB. It's hot. It chronographs at about 2100 fps at the muzzle of an 8 3/8" barrel giving me over 2400 foot pounds of energy. This load is good for anything in North America except maybe a Grizzly. I'd switch to a heavier hard cast bullet if I ever hunted Grizzlies. I appreciate the follow up question. As you can see, I'm a nerd when it comes to ballistics.

As far as flying, the only type I can legally fly is a single engine airplane, land based. I have time in many other types but no endorsements that would low me to solo them.
    Last edited by Texdrumr; 09-13-2018 at 09:25 PM.

User Info Menu

I was playing pick up ice hockey 2 to 3 times a week for a few years 2003 to 2008 but not as active in it anymore. Turned into going once in awhile and eventually to having to dust off my equipment before i went. Tried going a couple weeks ago... got to the rink and was told they don't even do it anymore.

Had some heart health problems in Nov 2015 and that has changed some things too unfortunately. I love running the treadmill and do that regularly. Would like to go to hockey again though... the other rinks still have pick up games so maybe I can get my fat out of shape butt out there.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Drinking

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    MDK, the trick in bowling is a good spare game. If you throw 3 strikes in a game, and can do 8 and 9 counts and spare, that's a 200 average. A double and 2 more strikes, that's a 210 average, a 3 bagger and a double, and you're in the 220's. If you're in the 170's, improve your spare game and you will be at 200.
    Yeah I am at a point where I can get most spares except that darn 10 pin which is usually the one I leave. I struggling with throwing brooklyns and when I move left and throw the ball a lil more right it stays right too long and misses the 1 pin entirely. If I move left and throw over the same spot I still go brooklyn.. I have 2 balls and not sure how to fix it yet but doing some research.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I've been getting back into playing the guitar lately . I got pretty rusty after neglecting it for the drums over the past decade, but it's starting to come back. Who doesn't love the sound of a Les Paul into a tube amp, right?
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Drumming is my other hobby---I have been playing guitar for 40 years (on and off) and have no expectations of ever becoming a "drummer", but I can play well enough to enjoy it.
    I live on the west coast of Florida, so boating and fishing has been part of my life since I was about 4.
    Gardening is also a hobby that I enjoy, but my number 1 hobby for the last 7 years is building cigar box guitars!

WXIwLjIl.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Yeah I am at a point where I can get most spares except that darn 10 pin which is usually the one I leave. I struggling with throwing brooklyns and when I move left and throw the ball a lil more right it stays right too long and misses the 1 pin entirely. If I move left and throw over the same spot I still go brooklyn.. I have 2 balls and not sure how to fix it yet but doing some research.
    Ideally, if you bowl in a couple of houses, you should have 4 balls. 1 that is drilled for maximum hook for when the lanes are oily. 1 that is drilled for slightly less hook for when the lanes are not freshly oiled, and 1 that is drilled for minimum hook for when the lanes are dry.

The 4th ball is a spare ball. Any cheap hard shelled ball will do because all you want it to do is go straight no matter what the lane conditions are.

The old trick for splits (3-10 split) and double wood (2-8, 3-9) washouts (1-2-4-10) is to play the missing pin. On the 3-10, the missing pin is the 6 pin. You stand where you would stand in you had just left the 6 pin, move 1 board to the right, and play the 6 pin. The 2-8 or the 3-9, use the ball the hooks a little and play the back pin. On the washout, you're shot is the 2 pin. If you leave the 4-9 split, you play the 7 pin. It doesn't mean that you will make them every time, but you will make them more often.

I love the game but my knees won't let me bowl anymore.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I pretty much spend my spare time trying not to irritate my wife. It’s a challenging endeavor, of which I enjoy moderate success.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I pretty much spend my spare time trying not to irritate my wife. It’s a challenging endeavor, of which I enjoy moderate success.

I could irritate my 2nd wife (Sybil) when I wasn't home. When I was home, it was a foregone conclusion that she would be pi$$ed at me no matter what I did (or didn't do). I was going to put her on the "Stupid Wife Tricks" show except I was worried she might kill somebody.

After about a month of marriage, I realized I was in the middle of a mine field so I had to tread carefully.

C'est la vie
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 09-14-2018 at 08:33 PM. Reason: ====

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Well I do my working on my car.... but I parted out the racecar to buy a new house for my family when we announced we were having our daughter.
    one hobby though I will never step away from is my music and drumming. . . i don't think you'll ever take that away from me.

Other than that.. I started taking up golf here and there. i'm not very good but i'm not horrible.

User Info Menu

When I'm not beating my wife and kids, I like to trip old ladies in the street. Other than that, I just lay around the house getting drunk and wishing I would win the lottery.

Bring it Rick!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    When I'm not beating my wife and kids, I like to trip old ladies in the street. Other than that, I just lay around the house getting drunk and wishing I would win the lottery.

Bring it Rick!
    I thought you looked familiar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post

Bring it Rick!

What exactly would you like me to bring?

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    drinking
    lol
    Signature here