Thread: Check Out This Kid

User Info Menu

Default Check Out This Kid

Great player for such a youngun'.................you will like this (especially you Spaz) :

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Check Out This Kid

?????ok?????
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

that little Avery kid is ridiculously awesome.... if I ever have a son I can only hope!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    that little Avery kid is ridiculously awesome.... if I ever have a son I can only hope!
    Don't sell your daughter short. She may surprise you.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Insane talent for someone that young. Really on his game.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Kid can play! Love the tone of his drums as well!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Poor kid - he'll never make it unless he learns how to quit smiling and start grimacing like the Big Boys. (See the picture of Mike on his shirt?) He simply must stop having so much fun and looking so lovable.

Just kidding - at this point he is REALLY unique. I'd almost kill to be able to play like that.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I wish to hell that I could see what everybody else see's.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I wish to hell that I could see what everybody else see's.
    Well, let's see:

* Young guy who plays on a level that damn near nails the licks and stylistics of one of the most (justly) admired drummers in the world. Hmm . . . I'm wrong on this: he doesn't "nearly" nail Portnoy's essentials - he DOES nail them. (And that brings to mind a video by a very nice fellow on UTube that learned a Buddy Rich solo note-for-note. It was amazing to watch. And uninspired. There's a lot more to playing drums than playing notes - even if they are all the right ones.)

* Plays with techniques that many of us grown guys still haven't perfected: polyrhythms/rudiment incorporation/dbl bass drum technique (listen carefully - you cannot hear any difference between left and right foot action)/ pro-style coordination and independence/ fluidity/ on and on . . .

* Did I say "fluidity?" Watch him. He flows across those drums without any hint that what he's playing is coming anywhere other than straight off the top of his head, even though I'm sure it's well-practiced. He sounds ORGANIC and spontaneous - (ducking my head now, but . . . ) these are the very elements whose absence make Neil Peart sound so mechanical. Not this kid.

* Certainly he's done the woodshedding that all of us do at that age, but there is no doubt that this young man is blessed with "IT": that unexplainable, impossible-to-fake natural connection between rhythm and every nerve fiber in his body. For folks like this, instruction does not create "IT," but simply gives them a short cut to the expression of what is already simmering inside.

* He knows how to tune like a pro - maybe better than a lot of pros. (Unless daddy did it. But, I doubt it, don't you?) He might be useful as a sticky on how to tune drums.

* He knows how to hit the drums. He's not working up a sweat beating the daylights out of them, but he knows how to make them sound wonderful. And loud. Notice something else? There's not a single dimple in those heads. That means exquisite control over the sticks and the angle at which they hit the drums.

* Not relevant (except in my world), but the kid SMILES, is RELAXED, and is having a great time.

Other than those points, I don't see what everybody else is excited about, either.

(I think I'll chip in and send him some cymbal stand wingnuts, though.)

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

How long has he been playing?

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I don't know. But, if years of playing should make one a great drummer, I missed the boat! Over fifty years of this stuff and I still play like a Neanderthal with bones for sticks and ancestors' skulls for toms! Thank the Lord for the bronze age. I beat my swords into . . . splash cymbals.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

What would you say about Caitlin Kalifus at 14:

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Or Davikah:

What about Davikah. Granted she is older but Whiplish was made when she was 15 or 16 and playing for about 5 years. If you go on you-tube, she does a lot of DT's stuff.

[/VIDEO]

I've been at this for 61 years and I didn't miss the boat. Maybe that's why it takes more to impress me than no "dimples" in his heads (I have none, never have).

Being "fluid" around the set, I've been told that for over 50 years which, in and of itself, means nothing. Having been "brought up" listening to and seeing Buddy, Max Roach, Louie Bellson (or Belson), Joe Morello, Elvin, etc. etc. etc., it really does take more to impress me.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Holy cow.. That girl slaughters all across. I liked the 1950's playing style, she pulled it off without a hiccup. That girl's ready for the stage, all the way.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Holy cow.. That girl slaughters all across. I liked the 1950's playing style, she pulled it off without a hiccup. That girl's ready for the stage, all the way.
    Check out some of her other videos on you tube. She's the real deal!

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS