Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Best practice solution: Low volume cymbals and heads or electronic kit?

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Best practice solution: Low volume cymbals and heads or electronic kit?

    I'm actually a guitarist, but I hold the band practice at my house. I'm moving houses and I'd like to not disturb the neighbors until I finish soundproofing a room which could take me over a year. I'm looking for a cheap temporary solution. I would like to keep the price lower than 300. The cymbals and heads are just at 300. The electronic kits start at about 220-270. Would low volume drum heads and cymbals work fine or would an electronic drum work better?

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best practice solution: Low volume cymbals and heads or electronic kit?

    I went with an acoustic to electronic conversion kit myself, saved a bit of cash that way. But there was some unavoidable expenses, like getting muted cymbals that actually are responsive, and a good module with enough inputs. The project was an investment for sure, but i'm glad I did it because it allowed for more playing time in close proximity environments like neighbors. Originally wanted an e-kit but the good ones are way out of budget so my a/e project was the compromise.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

    Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best practice solution: Low volume cymbals and heads or electronic kit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I went with an acoustic to electronic conversion kit myself, saved a bit of cash that way. But there was some unavoidable expenses, like getting muted cymbals that actually are responsive, and a good module with enough inputs. The project was an investment for sure, but i'm glad I did it because it allowed for more playing time in close proximity environments like neighbors. Originally wanted an e-kit but the good ones are way out of budget so my a/e project was the compromise.
    The low volume cymbals work, but sound bad?

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best practice solution: Low volume cymbals and heads or electronic kit?

    If you're talking about real cymbals you convert in the manner I did.. Initially you'll hear a tick, click, or pang from them being silent - but once you assign your sample to the trigger for that cymbal and get your headphones on - you hear the sample over the previous sound. It really isn't that bad. I couldn't afford proper dual and triple zone rubber cymbals from roland or yamaha so I taped triggers to the cymbals themselves. Now and again i'll have to replace the tape but it kept the expenses down for sure.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

    Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best practice solution: Low volume cymbals and heads or electronic kit?

    Get a complete set of drum and cymbal mutes.

    IMHO they don't really lose feel but will definitely quiet everything down.

    Your results may vary.
    Signature here

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best practice solution: Low volume cymbals and heads or electronic kit?

    I have two sets and it's been a while since I'd had to use them. I'd send them to you cheap but seeing as what you are using for currency I'm thinking the boat trip would be more expensive than buying an electronic kit.
    Signature here

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best practice solution: Low volume cymbals and heads or electronic kit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    If you're talking about real cymbals you convert in the manner I did.. Initially you'll hear a tick, click, or pang from them being silent - but once you assign your sample to the trigger for that cymbal and get your headphones on - you hear the sample over the previous sound. It really isn't that bad. I couldn't afford proper dual and triple zone rubber cymbals from roland or yamaha so I taped triggers to the cymbals themselves. Now and again i'll have to replace the tape but it kept the expenses down for sure.
    I do not think I'm going for low volume cymbals and triggers. Either an electronic kit or a low volume cymbal set.

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best practice solution: Low volume cymbals and heads or electronic kit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I have two sets and it's been a while since I'd had to use them. I'd send them to you cheap but seeing as what you are using for currency I'm thinking the boat trip would be more expensive than buying an electronic kit.
    yeah and on top of that, I'd have to pay duty taxes.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best practice solution: Low volume cymbals and heads or electronic kit?

    I'd have to think this over for about four seconds before looking for a used electronic drum set. No need to worry the neighbors or anybody else. Practice with them. Record with them. Perform with them. No losers.

    GeeDeeEmm

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best practice solution: Low volume cymbals and heads or electronic kit?

    Have tried ekits and hated them in the past but I recently tried an ATV 5pc kit and WOW that is awesome and they are real acoustic drums which is important to me. I am thinkning hard on buying it but the $4k price tag is tough..I had a $1500 roland td- something or other before in the past and returned it 1 week after buying it. I could just not get comfortable with the smaller footprint of the whole set up.
    Sonor Essential Force Birch

    Mapex Saturn V

    Zildjian K Cymbals

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing.

    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best practice solution: Low volume cymbals and heads or electronic kit?

    Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Have tried ekits and hated them in the past but I recently tried an ATV 5pc kit and WOW that is awesome and they are real acoustic drums which is important to me. I am thinkning hard on buying it but the $4k price tag is tough..I had a $1500 roland td- something or other before in the past and returned it 1 week after buying it. I could just not get comfortable with the smaller footprint of the whole set up.
    I feel ya on that, that's a lot of money to throw into something without knowing for sure if it'll pan out. In my eyes, acoustic-electronics were really where I was most satisfied because it was based off of the kit i'd already been used to playing. It wasn't like I brought home a kit with a new layout and had to adapt to some new strange device i'd never been experienced with before. Sure it had a few new features - but essentially it was already what i'd been using so there was no huge transitions to worry about. It wasn't like weird or anything, you know?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

    Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best practice solution: Low volume cymbals and heads or electronic kit?

    I believe the op is looking for a temporary solution for hosting band rehearsal at his home until he builds a sound proofed room. If this is the case, I agree with GD, get a used e-kit that retains its resale value, use it for rehearsal, and sell it off when the it's no longer needed.

    I use my roland kit at a home practice space that is not sound proofed and it works ...

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Best practice solution: Low volume cymbals and heads or electronic kit?

    Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I believe the op is looking for a temporary solution for hosting band rehearsal at his home until he builds a sound proofed room. If this is the case, I agree with GD, get a used e-kit that retains its resale value, use it for rehearsal, and sell it off when the it's no longer needed.

    I use my roland kit at a home practice space that is not sound proofed and it works ...
    Yes this is my intention. Here I would have to pay for a used one more than I have to pay to get a new one.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •