Thread: Aquarian Studio-X heads

User Info Menu

Default Aquarian Studio-X heads

I've had the Studio X heads on for about 2 weeks and I have to admit that they are the best sounding heads I've had in a long time.

Much thanks to Ricardo and Russ for giving me a idea of what to expect from them.

I changed the reso's from Evans G1's to G2's. Not a big change I know, but it looks like the Studio X heads will be on my drums for a long time so I'll have time to fully test the tuning range of each head.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Default Re: Aquarian Studio-X heads

coated or clear?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    coated or clear?
    Clear
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Glad they're workin out for ya. Aquarians can be a bit rough around the edges for some, but i've always had good experiences with them. They tune good, seat good, sound good, all I need in a drumhead.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

For me, the Studio-X has a bit more muffling than I like...but their Focus-X coated heads sound really good on my toms...they have an open sound with out the harmonic ring so they sound full with a perfect amount of sustain yet have just enough muffling to pretty much eliminate that harmonic ringing. Love Em~!!! On my snare batter, I use the Aquarian Texture Coated single ply head...with a very small piece of Moon-Gel...about the size of the butt end of my ProMark Oak Jazz stick.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

It’s nice that they’re cheaper than other head brands too. At least they are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I had the Studio X heads on the DW kit and recorded with them and found the tone very warm with very little overtone due to the muff ring taped to the underside of the batter but when we got 4 players in the studio all playing together, the toms sound a little too subtle and they couldn't cut through the loud guitar amps. As Warren mentioned, the Focus X heads are probably the best of both worlds.