Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things you need to work on the most?

User Info Menu

Default Things you need to work on the most?

As drummers, we always have something to work on. What are some of the things you feel you need to work on the most in order to make yourself a better drummer?

For me it is the Johnny Cash-style train beat. I rarely ever have to play it, but when I do, I struggle with it. It is something that I have purposed in my practices to get better at.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Things you need to work on the most?

Stewart Copeland hi hat patterns. I love them but they’re a hassle to play. Specifically walking on the moon
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Pretty much everything. If I was to single out ONE thing, it would be hand speed. I think if I had improved hand speed (muscle strength) it would help in all aspect.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Pretty much everything. If I was to single out ONE thing, it would be hand speed. I think if I had improved hand speed (muscle strength) it would help in all aspect.
    Pillows Brian, pillows.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I need to work on my guitarists...................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

User Info Menu

[/end thread]
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Stewart Copeland hi hat patterns. I love them but they’re a hassle to play. Specifically walking on the moon
    Keep in mind that drum part was recorded with effects (delay, etc.) so it's impossible to reproduce the studio version. Watching a video of a live version would be helpful.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    [/end thread]

Grab them by their cojones and their hearts and minds will follow. If that doesn't work a Claymore with "THIS SIDE TOWARDS GUITARIST" should do the trick.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Traditional grip. Recently started attempting to learn it. I really struggle with it, can't seem to do it beyond 60-80bpm. I just have zero control with my hand like that. I think it looks pretty cool but I wonder if i'll ever be able to manage it. Here's hopin.
    Last edited by Russ; 10-05-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Traditional grip. Recently started attempting to learn it. I really struggle with it, can't seem to do it beyond 60-80bpm. I just have zero control with my hand like that. I think it looks pretty cool but I wonder if i'll ever be able to manage it. Here's hopin.
    Figure a year just to get comfortable holding the stick in "Trad", and at least another year before you can play it like you play match grip. It might take longer depending on how much time you are willing to practice with it.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Figure a year just to get comfortable holding the stick in "Trad", and at least another year before you can play it like you play match grip. It might take longer depending on how much time you are willing to practice with it.
    I tried but can only do it at slower speeds, the weird thing about it is my hands aren't doing the same thing as each other. It's the difference that makes it difficult. I don't get how this is the standard in some places like drumline or jazz.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I tried but can only do it at slower speeds, the weird thing about it is my hands aren't doing the same thing as each other. It's the difference that makes it difficult. I don't get how this is the standard in some places like drumline or jazz.
    Over the years, I have tried to show a lot of drummers how to hold the stick and what you generally have problems with at the start. There is always that "getting used to" period. If you get past that you should be OK.

A couple of years ago, I made a video up about "Trad" for a friend on DC. He never did tell me how he made out.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I don't get how this is the standard in some places like drumline or jazz.
    I started off playing with traditional grip and played this way in HS Drum Line, Concert Band, and drum set throughout the 70's. I got pretty good at it and could do a lot of advanced stuff with the various stick sizes and weights up to the 3As that we used in marching band.

When I got out of HS, I switched exclusively to matched grip and it took me a good while to convert over, a couple of years at least. Point is, it takes time to adjust and a person has to put the work in to get to the point where he can make an honest decision about which way he feels works best for him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I started off playing with traditional grip and played this way in HS Drum Line, Concert Band, and drum set throughout the 70's. I got pretty good at it and could do a lot of advanced stuff with the various stick sizes and weights up to the 3As that we used in marching band.

When I got out of HS, I switched exclusively to matched grip and it took me a good while to convert over, a couple of years at least. Point is, it takes time to adjust and a person has to put the work in to get to the point where he can make an honest decision about which way he feels works best for him.
    So no matter what, it's not gonna be easy. There's no easy grip?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

So no matter what, it's not gonna be easy. There's no easy grip?
    I prefer the word comfortable but I also believe that some grips are easier to learn, develop, and maintain than others, depending upon the drummer's physiology.

I agree with Rick in that no matter what grip you try, there's a "getting used to" period we have to go through before we can develop sufficient muscle memory to decide whether or not the grip has the potential to feel comfortable to us. If we like the grip, then we will continue to develop muscle memory until we become proficient with the grip and we all know that this takes a lot of time and repetition. So, while it might be difficult to work our way up from one level of proficiency to another, once we become proficient at a particular level, the grip becomes comfortable and easy at that level.

Personally, I prefer matched grip over traditional because it's symmetry feels more comfortable to me. I know other drummers that prefer traditional grip and they are very, very good players (e.g. Rick); I love to watch them play.

Then there are those drummers we all know who can play equally well using either traditional and matched grip and this just blows me away ...

User Info Menu

Luckily, I'm pretty comfortable with both grips although I prefer matched.

User Info Menu

Like I have said before, going from "Trad" to matched is easy. I use match grip more in the last few years because of the 2 toms over my floor toms, it's just easier to get at them with match grip.

Going from match to trad, therein lies the rub, not so easy to do.

When I started way back in 1956, you rarely saw drummers on TV unless you got 4 seconds of Bobby Rosengarden with Skitch Henderson, and he played Trad.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Yeah I too struggle with the Train beat but now it is more of trying to move the accented beats around. I can do a standard train beat all day long now but if I try to move the accents away from 2 and 4 I run into an issue. Also moving the bass drum pattern around is a struggle for me, band wants to add the "interstate Love song" by STP and man I tell ya that bass drum groove is hard to keep a handle on. I keep wanting to put it in the normal 1 and 3 &. I just need to keep playing it slowly till it gets ingrained I guess.

Also my endurance is sorely lacking, I cannot even come close to finishing the single drum roll in the middle of "Train kept a rolling"
    Last edited by MDK; 10-11-2018 at 04:56 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I remember seeing a video where Buddy Rich says in response to matched grip, "they're holding the sticks the wrong way." And that it's meant solely for different types of drums altogether, not your standard drumkit. Do you agree with that statement? Is he right that this is the correct grip to use for a regular drumkit? Like perhaps the way it's set up is designed around that hand position? I mean, could I have been wrong all these years in thinking I could make my grip work around the kit, when the kit is meant to be played a different way?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

So much for Buddy and match grip.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Pillows Brian, pillows.
    Rick, I took your advice.
    I’ve been sleeping with my hands on my pillow for a week now, but I’m not any faster than I was before.
    I tried putting my hands on my wife’s pillows, but I got slapped....

-Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Rick, I took your advice.
    I’ve been sleeping with my hands on my pillow for a week now, but I’m not any faster than I was before.
    I tried putting my hands on my wife’s pillows, but I got slapped....

Brian, somehow I think you misunderstood what I meant.

Just tell your wife that you are trying to get faster and leave it at that. She will spend the day trying to figure out exactly what you want to get faster at.

If you leave them wondering about something, that's less time for them to find something to be mad at you about.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Hahaha.. Oh I love Rick, his style of humor is just the right touch for most things. Thanks for that video by the way, totally disproves some things Rich was going on the record about. I'm really gonna enjoy watching him break his own beliefs. Mr traditional grip is life's answer to everything, hahahahaha. Ahhh thanks again mate.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Hmm...guess I need to put my hands on my wife's pillows sometime tonight...