Thread: Any advice on repairing finish on Paiste Giant Beat. (Cat urine)

User Info Menu

Default Any advice on repairing finish on Paiste Giant Beat. (Cat urine)

Hi all, I bought a new Paiste Giant Beat and my cat urinated on it. The urine destroyed part of the finish down to the bare cymbal. Is there a diy fix for this to protect the raw cymbal? Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks, Don

User Info Menu

Default Re: Any advice on repairing finish on Paiste Giant Beat. (Cat urine)

Never heard that one before..............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I guess cat urine would make a good cymbal cleaner if you want to clean the cymbal to bare metal. I've never seen any cleaner like it.

User Info Menu

That IS a new one. Maybe get the cat to urinate on the rest of it, so it would match? Might need to do the whole set of cymbals.

User Info Menu

Maybe I should bottle that stuff and sell it as cymbal cleaner.

User Info Menu

Not sure if you've tried it or not, but a number of places online sell paiste cymbal cleaner or cleaner and protector bottles together. Not terribly expensive at $12 for just the cleaner though, might make the stain go away if you go over it with a non-abrasive rag.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Cat urine is pretty nasty stuff from a chemical perspective. My guess is that it took off the clear coat down to the bare metal. It may have also reacted with the metal to cause the stain. I had a similar issue on some old used cymbals that someone tried to use some type of acid cleaner on. The only way I got it off was a ton of work with the buffing wheel on a cordless drill and metal polish compound.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

On a side note;
    If you’re having issues with your cat urinating in inappropriate places, you might have a Vet check it out. Sometimes it’s behavioral, but many times it can be a sign of bladder infection or thyroid issues.
    Also, the only cleaner I found that actually works for removing cat urine smell is Nature’s Miracle “Just for Cats” formula. You have to completely saturate all of the area, but it destroys all the enzymes and really works.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. I'm not too concerned about the appearance of the cymbal. I 'd like to protect the area of the damage so it doesn't get worse. I was considering getting a can of clear lacquer and coating the damaged area.

The cat is actually on anti depressant meds since we acquired a couple of dogs. That's when the problem got bad. We had to give the cat away to a shelter. The good news is that the shelter found a home for the cat the day we brought him. He was up on his shots and otherwise a healthy cat. The dogs were actually good to the cat. At times they played together. Thanks for the replies. I'll check into the Paiste cymbal cleaner and protector. I washed the cymbal thoroughly and removed the smell.

User Info Menu

wow... yeah I won't lie my old cats have DESTROYED so much because of cat pee.
    This is why now I have dogs. . .
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 02-06-2019 at 07:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    wow... yeah I won't lie my old cast have DESTROYED so much because of cat pee.
    This is why now I have dogs. . .
    We used to have several strays in our neighborhood that would love to jump up and sleep on the roof of my Mustang parked in the driveway. The sides and roof would be covered in claw scratches. One night, I went out about 11pm to roll up the windows and lock it for the night. About 3pm the next afternoon, I went out to drive it to the store. As soon as I opened the door, a cat came running out. I didn’t see any damage to the interior, so I climbed in and started out for the store. When I got to the store, I noticed the seat of my pants and lower back felt wet...
    Luckily for that cat, I never saw him again, LOL. I guess “spending a night in the box” was enough to scare him away for good. He did, however, get the last laugh. It took a gallon of “Urine Destroyer” and several days with the windows down to get the smell out of the drivers seat.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

You can always tell a house with cats as soon as you walk in the door.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

BackStreetDrums Guest

Contact Paiste. They custom make cymbals, if they can't help you, if nothing but advice, who can.

User Info Menu

I used this for my Rudes and it worked well to protect the brilliant finishes on my Sabians.

User Info Menu

I would like to know exactly how this cat accomplished this feat. If the cymbal was on the stand, I would have loved to have seen the balancing act that took place.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I would like to know exactly how this cat accomplished this feat. If the cymbal was on the stand, I would have loved to have seen the balancing act that took place.
    HAHA wouldn’t that be something
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I can't walk Frosty as much as I used to because my knees need surgery and I have to wait.

The good thing is that she will always poop outside. I have wee wee pads all over the house where there is carpeting (she has never peed on the hardwood floors). She is very good as far as the pads go, the problem is that sometimes she thinks that if any part of her is on the pad, that ALL of her is on the pad. She will eat, drink some water, then head for the pad. Most of the time she's right on the pad, but sometimes she will look down, see her paws on the pad and not realize that her whole back end is off the pad.

Thank the powers that be for Resolve and carpet cleaners.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS