Thread: Solder for snare wires?

User Info Menu

Default Solder for snare wires?

Let's say you were inclined to experiment with snare wires the DIY route. What solder would one use to attach them to the plates? I'm not taking about re-soldering a single wire that came off but rather making my own from scratch... Is it considered brazing if you do it with a blowtorch? Anyway just curious if plumber's solder is what they use or something else?
    Cheers!
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Solder for snare wires?

Quote Originally Posted by Natman View Post
    Let's say you were inclined to experiment with snare wires the DIY route. What solder would one use to attach them to the plates? I'm not taking about re-soldering a single wire that came off but rather making my own from scratch... Is it considered brazing if you do it with a blowtorch? Anyway just curious if plumber's solder is what they use or something else?
    Cheers!
    Well, I've sure never tried it. I don't know what they use but whatever holds good should be fine. You should try it and let us know!
    Experiment with different types of wires, materials, etc. That'd be cool!
    Maybe un-solder the wires, utilize the holes for weed wacker line, dental floss or whatever.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 10-07-2018 at 10:09 AM.

User Info Menu

That seems kind of tough, i'd probably ask a professional for help with that. You'd need the right area to do it, the right safety gear, the right parts, experience with metalworking..
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I’m totally speculating here, but I’m thinking more along the lines of electrical type soldering with a soldering gun. You might Google “how to solder jewelry”....seems to me it would be similar in terms of the soft metals.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have no idea how to do this. I'm just waiting for progress pictures and maybe a step by step tutorial. Best of luck and please keep us in the loop.

User Info Menu

FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Thanks for your input guys, it's much easier than you're making it sound! I have enough skills whether torch or soldering iron, I'm doing this for sure. Just wanted to see if anyone knew the right solder! Stay tuned...
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

I use 50/50 acid core solder with paste flux. Enough heat is important -- I use a propane torch equipped with a copper soldering iron tip.

User Info Menu

The soldering on most of my snares looks like they were doing them asleep
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN