Thread: New to me Mapex Saturn V and DW snare

User Info Menu

Default New to me Mapex Saturn V and DW snare

Was saving up for a Sonor SQ1 kit but getting tired of waiting on the new colors to come out, saw this deal on FB market place and went to check it out. WOW these new Saturns sound fantastic, much fuller than my old Saturns. I got this 6pc Saturn in excellent condition plus the 14 x 6.5 DW collectors copper snare for $1k.

These black aquarian response 2's sound pretty good too, not sure how they will carry in a bigger room though.

mapex saturn v 2.jpg
    mapex saturn v.jpg
    mapex saturn v 3.jpg
    mapex saturn v 1.jpg
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: New to me Mapex Saturn V and DW snare

7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Look'in sweet!

User Info Menu

Nice, congrats on the new kit.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I like the mounts, good configuration too - lotta playing options. Nice score!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Yeah I love all the options as well, I doubt I will ever use them all at once. I may even look to get a 20" or 18" matching bass drum in the future for smaller gigs.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

BTW anyone have any experience cleaning copper drums? I googled it and ketchup is all I am getting? There is a little bit of oxidation on the bearing edge but nothing too bad. Would like to buff it out if possible
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Nice!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

If it's tarnishing it means the protective finish is starting to go. I'd try a good metal polish like Flitz or Mothers

User Info Menu

Turning brown in spots, mostly right on the bearing edge. I tried ketchup, and cymbal cleaner yesterday but nothing worked on removing it.

20181013_202846.jpg
    20181013_202846.jpg20181013_202846.jpg
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Nice score. Great drums and you got a super price. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

Pretty ! Is that a walnut stain ?
    That snare is nice -- probably has a laid back smoothness compared to brass.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Pretty ! Is that a walnut stain ?
    That snare is nice -- probably has a laid back smoothness compared to brass.
    Yes it is called Espresso Walnut, Soooo nice I really love it and I have always been a sparkle guy.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I've owned only 6 kits in my lifetime and none of them were wrapped....................all natural or stained finishes.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

GideonDrums Guest

Awesome deal. Lovely finish on that also! I'm rocking my a set of Saturn IV's in the Deep Water Burl. Real nice set I wish I went for a more unique finish sometimes though lol! Enjoy man

User Info Menu

Beautiful drums congrats

User Info Menu

Really great looking drums.

User Info Menu

The new Saturns are beautiful. Love that finish.

You are in a bit of a pickle when it comes to the tarnish on the snare drum. All non-plated metal shells (aluminum, copper, brass, bronze) are clear-coated with a catalysed paint in order to prevent corrosion of the bare metal. What's happened to your snare is the same thing that happens to nice, shiny aluminum mag wheels on cars - the clear coat chips off and the bare metal begins to corrode (oxidize).

The only way to truly restore the original finish is to polish away the oxidation and repaint the exposed metal. I'm sure you see the BIG problems with this, though, right?

* It's impossible to polish spots of metal that small. That means that it would be necessary to remove more of the coating over a larger area in order to smooth in the damaged area - akin to repairing a chip in a car's paint job.
    * It's impossible to obtain a polished sheen identical to the original because the metal's surface is now etched.
    * Even if the above could be perfected, respraying the clear coat with the proper catalysed paint is best done by an automotive paint pro. It would then need to be leveled (finish sanded) and polished to blend with the original coat.

If that snare was mine, and I was inclined to worry about such imperfections (I'm not), I would strip the shell of hardware and take it to a pro paint shop. Ask them to level the defects as best they can and then protect the exposed areas with a new coat of catalysed clear coat that has been blended into the original coat. At this point, the chipped areas are out of sight. So, what you want to do is get the shop to repair and reseal the current chipped areas to prevent the chipping from spreading further down into visible areas on the shell. A properly done repair will stop the chipping in its tracks - assuming that the rest of the shell is not suffering from the same adhesion problem as evidenced by the damage in the photos.

(Ya' know what? Before doing any of this, why don't you give DW a call and describe the defect. Maybe there is an outside chance that you will catch a customer service representative in an especially magnanimous mood. Does not hurt to try.)

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    The new Saturns are beautiful. Love that finish.

You are in a bit of a pickle when it comes to the tarnish on the snare drum. All non-plated metal shells (aluminum, copper, brass, bronze) are clear-coated with a catalysed paint in order to prevent corrosion of the bare metal. What's happened to your snare is the same thing that happens to nice, shiny aluminum mag wheels on cars - the clear coat chips off and the bare metal begins to corrode (oxidize).

The only way to truly restore the original finish is to polish away the oxidation and repaint the exposed metal. I'm sure you see the BIG problems with this, though, right?

* It's impossible to polish spots of metal that small. That means that it would be necessary to remove more of the coating over a larger area in order to smooth in the damaged area - akin to repairing a chip in a car's paint job.
    * It's impossible to obtain a polished sheen identical to the original because the metal's surface is now etched.
    * Even if the above could be perfected, respraying the clear coat with the proper catalysed paint is best done by an automotive paint pro. It would then need to be leveled (finish sanded) and polished to blend with the original coat.

If that snare was mine, and I was inclined to worry about such imperfections (I'm not), I would strip the shell of hardware and take it to a pro paint shop. Ask them to level the defects as best they can and then protect the exposed areas with a new coat of catalysed clear coat that has been blended into the original coat. At this point, the chipped areas are out of sight. So, what you want to do is get the shop to repair and reseal the current chipped areas to prevent the chipping from spreading further down into visible areas on the shell. A properly done repair will stop the chipping in its tracks - assuming that the rest of the shell is not suffering from the same adhesion problem as evidenced by the damage in the photos.

(Ya' know what? Before doing any of this, why don't you give DW a call and describe the defect. Maybe there is an outside chance that you will catch a customer service representative in an especially magnanimous mood. Does not hurt to try.)

GeeDeeEmm
    Thanks man, I emailed dw and described the problem and they sent me the general cleaning instructions. I then sent these photo's to them and here is the response.

"Oof!

That looks like rust. Which isn’t reversible. =
    /"

Maybe you should send them some info on repairing their drums? LOL
    Honestly it is not that big a deal and if you run your finger along the bearing edge it is still very smooth, it is solely just visual at this point but like you said it will probably spread. I was going to try to rub it with some very fine scotch brite but not sure I want to try that yet.

I may look into having a metal shop look at it or auto body but the cost will probably not be worth it. I have not even played the drum yet other than when I bought it and it had an ambassador on it and was out of tune. I just put a brand new Aquarian High performance series snare side on and waiting for a new Aquarian Reflector series batter to come in and I will try it. I will let ya know the results of that this weekend.

Here is a pic of the snare side, never used them before but it looks pretty interesting,
    20181014_180257.jpg
    20181014_180304.jpg
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Looks like rust, huh?

Well, totally aside from the DW rep's stupidity, I wouldn't worry about it personally. Just play it, and keep an eye out for any signs of spreading. I had one just like that one, and it's a great sounding snare. You bought that entire beautiful kit for a very, very nice price. Congrats.

GeeDeeEmm