Thread: Starting a new band

User Info Menu

Default Starting a new band

Still with the Highway 49 Band, but that band only gigs for "special occasions" - about once every two months. I have a good friend I've played with before who is a phenomenal guitar player and singer, then my wife's cousin also plays guitar. I've got a buddy who played bass for a band that won the IBC in Arkansas and competed in Memphis last year before they fell apart. We have all gotten together and are going to work something up. We will play country, blues, southern rock, and some dance stuff - styles that get bands gigs in our area. I'm looking forward to working with these guys because they are all super talented.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Starting a new band

Small update, we have secured the musicians we wanted. We are starting this at the right time with a couple of local bands coming to an end. We were able to get two really good guitarists and a solid bass player. We have reached out to a front man we know who is not currently gigging, and hope to hear back from him today.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

that's awesome! Congrats and glad you got all the musicians you wanted!

User Info Menu

There’s been a few gigs lately where I wanted to do the same. I guess I just don’t understand guitar players....how can you forget how a 4 chord song...that you’ve played 1,000 times...goes? How can they start playing a lead solo...right over the top of each other?How can a singer NOT realize that their phasing is off by half a measure...and just continue that way for an entire verse??
    The frustrating part is 9/10 gigs go fantastic...then you get that ONE gig where you just want to stop playing in the middle of a song, stand up behind the drums and say, “what, for the love of cheeses, are you guys doing?”
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    where you just want to stop playing in the middle of a song, stand up behind the drums and say, “what, for the love of cheeses, are you guys doing?”
    Ha-ha! We've all had those gigs!

User Info Menu

Sounds like you guys are on the fast track to success. Congratulations on all the recent unity. Who knows which way lady luck will smile?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Unfortunately one big issue around here is crystal meth. Even for your mediocre cover bands it is literally killing people and tearing not just bands, but families apart. Two of the guys in this project are leaving bands with a solid following because of that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    There’s been a few gigs lately where I wanted to do the same. I guess I just don’t understand guitar players....how can you forget how a 4 chord song...that you’ve played 1,000 times...goes? How can they start playing a lead solo...right over the top of each other?How can a singer NOT realize that their phasing is off by half a measure...and just continue that way for an entire verse??
    The frustrating part is 9/10 gigs go fantastic...then you get that ONE gig where you just want to stop playing in the middle of a song, stand up behind the drums and say, “what, for the love of cheeses, are you guys doing?”
    Brian, you have to remember that guitar players and singers had negative #'s on their IQ scores. I worked with a guitarist/singer back around '71 or '72 that, if he came over to my place, I had to put wee wee pads down. Definitely not a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Unfortunately one big issue around here is crystal meth. Even for your mediocre cover bands it is literally killing people and tearing not just bands, but families apart. Two of the guys in this project are leaving bands with a solid following because of that.
    On a more serious note. Back when we were 1st starting out, we had to get rid of our lead guitarist/singer because he developed a bad "habit". The guy was really good both as a singer and guitar player, but you can't nurse something like that along and hope they get better in a couple of weeks.

Drugs have been the bane of many a band, and the death of 2 many good musicians.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    That’s disturbing to hear. It’s great, however, that you guys have found each other and can put together a “clean” band of talented musicians.

Unfortunately, it’s heading in that direction around here as well. That stuff is really a problem in the small town and rural communities...and getting worse.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

It messed up a pretty good band we had going in the mid 90's in Northern California... was a shame
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN