Thread: Looking to add another snare to the arsenal

User Info Menu

Default Looking to add another snare to the arsenal

So I have a Mapex Black Panther Blade and Mapex Tomahawk, both are steel snares. I'm really wanting to add a solid wood snare to my arsenal just to have a different tone to go to when needed. I'm don't have to have a specific make or brand, just something that is going to sound good and get the job done with maybe a darker/warmer tone than what the steel snares are going to give me. Any suggestions are more than welcomed.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking to add another snare to the arsenal

I'd get the 13X7 Tama SLP G-maple. I've been wanting that snare for a while! lol.

User Info Menu

Sounding good is honestly subjective. High pitch, medium, lows, it really depends what you're looking for. Sounds like you wanna stay with wood shells, which is great so imma lay it out there. As far as wood goes - bubinga/mahogany - dark(low pitch), maple/beech - warm(medium pitch), birch/ash - bright(high pitch). Also, if ever interested, the metallic scale runs like this.. Copper is low, brass is mid, steel is high - however; you can also use aluminum to get high, the difference being that aluminum will be a dry and less resonant version of that fundamental pitch. You won't need as much dampening.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Sounding good is honestly subjective. High pitch, medium, lows, it really depends what you're looking for. Sounds like you wanna stay with wood shells, which is great so imma lay it out there. As far as wood goes - bubinga/mahogany - dark(low pitch), maple/beech - warm(medium pitch), birch/ash - bright(high pitch). Also, if ever interested, the metallic scale runs like this.. Copper is low, brass is mid, steel is high - however; you can also use aluminum to get high, the difference being that aluminum will be a dry and less resonant version of that fundamental pitch. You won't need as much dampening.
    I'm kind of shooting for that fat 70's sound. Something that several big name drummers are doing today in country music. I figure with me playing with a couple of bands that are doing more country it would be a good idea to shoot for that sound. My current set up on my Black Panther (my current go to) is derived from my praise and worship experience, and going for that whip crack sound. I'm thinking I need something a little more subtle, and the Tomahawk just isn't getting it done lol
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

I would suggest a Supraphonic in 6.5 depth. I think tuning it low and adding a moongel would give you the sound you’re looking for. That is if you don’t mind sticking with another metal drum.

If you want to go with wood, the Tama maple slp would be a great choice too. Another one to look for would be the Tama 40th anniversary Superstar. It’s a pretty thick birch shell, and has a great dry attack to it. They can be found pretty reasonably on the used market.

User Info Menu

I have still yet to figure out what wet, dry, trashy, etc. etc. means. Wet and dry are fairly obvious to a point. If I wash my car and wipe it down so that the roof and hood are dry, but the rest of the car is wet, does that mean that my car is 1/2 dry or 1/2 wet.

Trash threw me when I was a kid. We would put the trash out, a truck would come, pick it up and take it away, never to be seen again, BUT, there was a woman standing under a street light and someone called her trash. Cars and trucks would come and pick her up, but they always brought her back. Our trash was never brought back, but she always was. Took me until I was 11 to figure that 1 out.

1 thing that I absolutely did not know but found out a little while ago from Russ, "you can also use aluminum to get high". I never knew that. You don't need to spend X amount of $ on grass when a piece of siding will do.

There are a lot of hidden gems on DC if you read all the posts.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    I'm kind of shooting for that fat 70's sound. Something that several big name drummers are doing today in country music.
    I watched a Tommy Hardin video once where he shows that he uses an old 80s model 6.5x14 Yamaha RC birch snare to get that 70's sound. Tommy is a busy Nashville session drummer and has recorded a ton of stuff there. I have one of these snares and it does work as described.

Of course, you could probably get this sound from most deep shelled wood snares (and probably some metal ones).

Last edited by dangermoney; 10-21-2018 at 01:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Yeah, like that! That's the sound! lol. DSC01833.jpg I bought it in 1980. Then changed all the hardware on it! lol.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 10-21-2018 at 06:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I'd get the 13X7 Tama SLP G-maple. I've been wanting that snare for a while! lol.
    This ^^^
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Gushy is a new 1 on me, but it seems to fit right in with the lexicon that is the language of drumming/rocket science as spoken only by drummers that sometimes forget that their drums will do battle with the acoustics of wherever they are playing.

As for the '70's "sound". Having lived and played from the '60's (1st band was in 1961) through 2007 (minus the 2 years I was on "the flip") there was no "distinctive" drum sound in any of those decades. Bonham's drums sounded wwwaaayyy different than Watt's drums, and Watt's drums sounded very different from------------------------------- drums.

The sound that DW is looking for can probably be had from any snare if you want to play around with the tuning.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I would guess that head choice and tuning will have a large influence on whether you nail the sound you're chasing. Questions to ask is "what heads did this drummer use in the 1970's?" "How did he set up his drum?" Like picture your guy, your drummer of choice and see if you can get your hands on the heads he used and play with em til it comes close. Like in 1970's, from what I know heavy dampening was very popular - so Hydraulics and Pinstripes were great batter heads to do that with. At least on toms! Anyway, might be worth checking out sometime.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I'll stand behind this also!
    I own over 50 snares and this one is in my top 3. I'll never sell it from my collection. Definitely one of my favorites !

GideonDrums Guest

If you still want something balanced and versatile, you can't go wrong with a Supraphonic. I'd even look at the DW Design 14x6.5 Black Nickel over Brass (Incredible for the price).

But if you really want a wood snare then the Tama SLP 13x7 sounds delightful. It does have only 8 lugs however if you are a little picky with that.