Thread: State Fair Set

User Info Menu

Default State Fair Set

OK girls and boys, I just got this.........raw and unedited.........

This is the entire set with all of the good, the bad, and the ugly that goes with it.
    This is recorded by a GOPRO clamped to a lighting truss, stage right, so the sound is not great, but certainly not horrible either.

We played a 45-minute set as the opening act for Ratt at our state fair last Wednesday night, October 17th.
    We were asked to play classic rock covers -- you will quickly recognize most of these...........a cool 5/8 tune starts at 35:25.

All praises, criticisms, rotten tomatoes, tacky comments, and enthusiastic extended applause are welcome :

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: State Fair Set

Right on man... sounds great! At work will watch some more later..
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

The band sounded great! A solid performance. CONGRATULATIONS!!

User Info Menu

Sounded really good Ricky!!!!!
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Sounded really good Ricky!!!!!
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderstruck View Post
    The band sounded great! A solid performance. CONGRATULATIONS!!
    Awesome, awesome, awesome!!

User Info Menu

Everything sounded great. Band was tight and mix was spot on. Enjoyed it!

User Info Menu

Very nice bud, that was an interesting set list for sure, Love the Pink Floyd ya threw in there.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Really strong drumming. Personally, I like the set list. Some very ambitious song choices vocally. Looks like it was a great gig for you. Wish I could see you guys live......and I don't say that about many cover bands.

User Info Menu

Slinky, thunder, rick, dMD, danger, MDK, and pocket..................you guys are great -- thank you very much -- it is really strong support to get such praise from drummers around the USA on this board.................it means so much and I'm happy that we all provide that support to each other around here..............a great place to visit and to make friends.
    I especially liked the phrase "ambitious song choices" because that was exactly what we were going for................and, judging from all the positive feedback we got from the crowd, the sound and lighting company employees and the hired-help stage hands, it all worked well.

One thing to point out that was unexpected and very cool:
    You saw the guy with the camera on the stage -- he was shooting live shots of the band to put on the two jumbo-tron screens out front, one on each side of the stage.
    Also you notice another large screen behind us and it has our band logo on it.
    We were asked during sound check if we had a digital logo for the lighting crew........................we did not.
    So they told us to get a good cellphone photo of the logo on my bass drum and e-mail it to the light-board-mix guy.
    They took only 5 minutes and it was up on that stage screen behind us.....................impressive.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Can't believe that you captured that quality of sound and video with a simple GoPro! The sound quality is good enough to have come as a feed straight from the mixer. Excellent performances, too. Especially the drummer guy.

As an aside, ask Jai if he remembers the joke he told about slippery ice cubes when we still worked at Boyd Music Center together.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Can't believe that you captured that quality of sound and video with a simple GoPro! The sound quality is good enough to have come as a feed straight from the mixer. Excellent performances, too. Especially the drummer guy.
    As an aside, ask Jai if he remembers the joke he told about slippery ice cubes when we still worked at Boyd Music Center together.
    GeeDeeEmm
    Thanks GDM...................such a fun gig and I'm glad everyone got up for it and played well.
    Slippery ice cubes -- OK -- we are actually getting together tonight.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

what an awesome time! great performance

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    what an awesome time! great performance
    Thank you, Zack.
    That Dream Theater cover medley is in there and I knew you would like that one................
    Also -- Check out the 5/8 intro at 35:30.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    GeeDeeEmm
    GDM: I made an inquiry to the GOPRO owner (my bass player) and he says this specific unit is currently the best one you can buy.
    Personally, I know nothing about them -- like you, I'm incredibly impressed one can get a pretty darn good A/V recording by simply having it well-placed on stage.
    (I also think it shows how good our monitor mix was that night).

I had this video put on a DVD -- I took it home and put it on the 800-watt big rig in my living room -- certainly not "hi-fi" but really good considering the source.
    I've had the opportunity to listen/review this set 5 or 6 times and for me, the highlight of the night is PORTRAIT (Kansas)...........song #3..........I love that 6/8/ feel !

P.S. JL remembers you but not the ice cubes (he has experienced self-induced brain damage since those days).
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Great job as always! Hate that I couldn't make it out.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Great job as always! Hate that I couldn't make it out.
    Thanks, DW.
    I wish you could have been there -- beautiful night -- 61 degrees when the set began.
    Enthusiastic crowd and a party atmosphere; we played our set well and it made for a magical night of fun.

RC13[1].jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Portrait is one of my favorite Kansas songs, too. Never played it in a band, though. My last group learned Carry On and got it nailed from the vocals to the solos, but my band leader wanted it played note for note like the original. I can't say that I didn't sweat just a little bit on that one at first, but after a while it became second nature. Ya'll did a great job on Portrait, which is in my top five favorites of Kansas songs. Always wanted to play The Preacher, too.

Jai's "joke" was that, having become frustrated at his tendency to always drop ice cubes on the floor when fetching them from the refrigerator, he'd come up with a solution to the problem: Immediately upon opening the fridge door, he grabs a handful of ice and throws it on the floor, thus satisfying the evil Ice God. I don't know why that little bit of humor always stuck with me, but I still laugh about it when I drop ice cubes!

GeeDeeEmm