Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a new (to me) snare

User Info Menu

Default Picked up a new (to me) snare

I know it isnt top of the line by any means, but I dig the sound and the price was good for me.

Orange County Snare. 6x14 made of maple with an outer ply of ash.

20181101_100926.jpg
    Last edited by DrumWhipper; 11-01-2018 at 10:43 AM.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Picked up a new (to me) snare

I've had some people on Facebook tell me I may want to change the tension rods out. I dont mind changing them out, but am certainly open to suggestions on which ones I should get.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

You should probably change out all the nails that hold the roof on your house, and all the bolts that hold your car together, and your refrigerator, dishwasher, and microwave while you are at it---because someone on facebook thinks it's a good idea :(

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    I know it isnt top of the line by any means, but I dig the sound and the price was good for me.

Orange County Snare. 6x14 made of maple with an outer ply of ash.

20181101_100926.jpg
    I'm going to put an HD dry on mine and I think it will sound a lot better. Mine is a 13X7DSC01360.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I'm going to put an HD dry on mine and I think it will sound a lot better. Mine is a 13X7DSC01360.jpg
    That's the exact head I'm going to put on this one. Trying to decide which resonate to go with on it. I'm shooting for mid-range, warm tone. My Black Panther has some pop to it, so I want to set this one up to sound a little different.

User Info Menu

Ninety-nine bucks? Cast hoops, beautiful shell? Heck yes. Good on you.

Don't change the tension rods. What the heck?

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

It needed tuning real bad. Half of the lugs on both heads were just barely finger tight. She tuned up nicely. I'll try to post a video soon.

User Info Menu

That's the exact head I'm going to put on this one. Trying to decide which resonate to go with on it. I'm shooting for mid-range, warm tone. My Black Panther has some pop to it, so I want to set this one up to sound a little different.
    Had an HD dry lying around so I took the Heavyweight off that was on it and popped on the HD dry, took my index finger and went around real fast and made sure it was in tune, put it on the snare stand and. . . . . .Walla! done! sounds great! lol.

User Info Menu

I guess I don’t understand why you would need to change/replace tension rods. Unless Orange County is noted for using very cheap imported tension rods that are prone to failure?? I can’t say I’ve ever had an issue with tension rods...and I’ve owned/still own my fair share of ultra-cheap drums.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I guess I don’t understand why you would need to change/replace tension rods. Unless Orange County is noted for using very cheap imported tension rods that are prone to failure?? I can’t say I’ve ever had an issue with tension rods...and I’ve owned/still own my fair share of ultra-cheap drums.
    It very well could be "high end snobs" as I call them who want to bash every drum that isnt $500 lol

User Info Menu

Not great hardware.
    The lugs are noted for cracking and snapping.
    There's a reason why it was $99 bucks.
    I think GC owns them these days.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I commented on your post on facebook!
    Luke?

Those hoops are worth the price of the drum alone. That is a killer steal and I never leave a snare drum at a store like that if it's $100!
    Hence.... 50+ snares in my basement hahaha
    That's a stupid good deal. You can't even come close to making that snare drum for a fraction of that price.

User Info Menu

Nice congrats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I commented on your post on facebook!
    Luke?

Those hoops are worth the price of the drum alone. That is a killer steal and I never leave a snare drum at a store like that if it's $100!
    Hence.... 50+ snares in my basement hahaha
    That's a stupid good deal. You can't even come close to making that snare drum for a fraction of that price.
    Yep. The overall consensus is I "stole" it for that price.

User Info Menu

Yep. The overall consensus is I "stole" it for that price.
    I'm curious how that snare will sound. Great buy! A good friend of mine for many years( guitar player ) went to a party in Bell Canyon last Saturday night and jammed with Guitar Shorty a Blues guitarist. Are you familiar with him? My friend Gary also has jammed with Albert Lee a few times also. Hope to see a video on that snare! lol.

User Info Menu

$99 was a good deal. I’ve looked at them several times myself. They’re on sale for $149 right now, but they normally run $219........so if it’s in good shape, you got a good deal. They get 4.5/5 stars on their rating with 53 reviews, so it’s safe to assume you should be happy with it! Nice looking, too.

I don’t normally patronize GC on the everyday stuff I buy, but most all of the best deals I’ve gotten have been from them. Especially if you watch their store-specific clearance deals.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I just finished playing it at a street party. Everyone from my band mates, to the sound guy and people in the crowd said it sounded great. My wife got some video that I'll get posted soon.

20181102_185044.jpg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I changed batter heads today to an Evans HD Dry, and tuned lower than I normally do to "fatten up" the sound. I like how it turned out.

User Info Menu

I changed batter heads today to an Evans HD Dry, and tuned lower than I normally do to "fatten up" the sound. I like how it turned out.

Sounds perfect! that's what I have on mine and you get that nice warm fat 'woody' sound!DSC01857.jpg

User Info Menu

I may have to pick up another one to try on my Black Panther snare just to see how it sounds.

User Info Menu

I may have to pick up another one to try on my Black Panther snare just to see how it sounds.
    Just like what Spaz said, and I agree! The HD dry has so far been my 'go to' snare head so far.

User Info Menu

i like the fatter tone you got out of it.
    Great work

User Info Menu

I’ve installed the HD dry on several snares. Excellent head. So far, they all sounded good. I’ve also tried the regular HD (no vent holes). In some respects, I like it better. Controls the sustain with the underlay ring but seems to give a slightly fuller tone. It’s a little harder to find in stock, however.
    -Brian