Thread: Learning to fly cover

User Info Menu

Default Learning to fly cover

Here we go again. It seems my work keeps interfering with my ability to spend time behind my kit.
    I continue to struggle to get my playing back up to par. Here's a Foo fighters cover. Please Note when I learn these songs I do so listening to the drumless tracks I have then I add my own thing to it, and of course I have heard the original before so I do have a general idea of what the drummer played , but I'm not looking to copy it note for note. I'm really making an attempt this time to make the time to play more often. I had yesterday off so for the first time in a month I decided to play my kit. I'm starting with the easier songs and will work my way up to the more challenging stuff later. Please feel free to post your thoughts and suggestions.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Learning to fly cover

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Here we go again. It seems my work keeps interfering with my ability to spend time behind my kit.
    I continue to struggle to get my playing back up to par. Here's a Foo fighters cover. Please Note when I learn these songs I do so listening to the drumless tracks I have then I add my own thing to it, and of course I have heard the original before so I do have a general idea of what the drummer played , but I'm not looking to copy it note for note. I'm really making an attempt this time to make the time to play more often. I had yesterday off so for the first time in a month I decided to play my kit. I'm starting with the easier songs and will work my way up to the more challenging stuff later. Please feel free to post your thoughts and suggestions.

https://youtu.be/M8pTy3tpB7k
    Sounds great! you don't sound rusty at all! Having played the song many times myself, it's all there! lol.

User Info Menu

Looks and sounds good to me bud
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

..............and you are worried about............................................. .........what???
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Well Played! Nothing negative there.

User Info Menu

Rock on brother. Nice job.

User Info Menu

i think you did just fine! nice work

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone , I appreciate the comments and encouragement. I guess when watching the video you can't see what is really going on. Although I got through the song ok , it is a lot harder physically than it should be. Hopefully that will pass as I spend more time playing. My hope is to be in drumming shape to possibly do some gigs this coming summer of 2019. I'm going to try to post a couple videos a month ( no promises) Next up is Carry on my wayward son. I know been played to death but I'm using my list of drumless tracks I got from the video games rock band and guitar hero. Eventually I'll work my way up to some Rush tunes (I hope)

User Info Menu

Joe,
    I have to agree with everybody else - I think you nailed the song just fine. If I had to criticise anything, it would be the repeating double bass/crash theme. That became a little monotonous after a few repetitions, but everything else fit perfectly with the groove of the song. Almost all of the most-loved and most-popular pop songs focus on relatively simple beats that reenforce the groove and driving tempo of rock n roll. Flourishes that get in the way of that drive . . . well . . . get in the way of that drive!!!

One other thing you want to ADD to the performance are those 8th note bass drum patterns that come just before the choruses. (I think I've described that correctly.) 1&2&3&4 for two measures just before the choruses. Really drives the song hard and sets a sense of anticipation as the band moves from verse into chorus.

You did a good job there, though.

(And I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to the physical stress of moving back into playing regularly. I'm old and lazy, and I thought I was going to die during my last gig. Once I pushed past the initial pain and leg spasms, though, everything went very smoothly.)

GeeDeeEmm