Thread: A Double Stroke Roll Exercise

User Info Menu

Default A Double Stroke Roll Exercise

User Info Menu

Default Re: A Double Stroke Roll Exercise

Nice and clean, I like that.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Nice and clean, I like that.
    Thanks. I think it's really important for us drummers to have a clean double stroke roll, it's one of the most misplaced rudiment. Same for singles, which I'm looking to improve on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by __--byonin--__ View Post
    Thanks. I think it's really important for us drummers to have a clean double stroke roll, it's one of the most misplaced rudiment. Same for singles, which I'm looking to improve on.
    I agree with you to a point. Clean you have, perfect, will never happen, same with a paradiddle. A absolutely perfect double stroke roll would sound like a perfect single stroke roll. The same goes for a paradiddle. Each hit, perfectly timed, hit with the exact same force, in exactly the same spot, would sound like a single stroke roll.

Anyway, work on them, but not to the exclusion of all else.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Nice job, I just tried it. I can get to 155 but it is sloppy. My LH has always bounced wildly in comparison to my RH. I really need to make doubles and singles exercises a daily 5 minute routine going forward. Like Rick mentioned I can get by without being great at those but I know I have a lot of room for improvement that does not come close to perfection.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I agree with you to a point. Clean you have, perfect, will never happen, same with a paradiddle. A absolutely perfect double stroke roll would sound like a perfect single stroke roll. The same goes for a paradiddle. Each hit, perfectly timed, hit with the exact same force, in exactly the same spot, would sound like a single stroke roll.

Anyway, work on them, but not to the exclusion of all else.
    Of course, perfection is unobtainable, which I think is a good thing. If all of our playing was perfect, zero mistakes, that would make us robots with no character whatsoever. It's cliche, but the subtle imperfections is what makes us who we are and shapes us as people; as drummer/players.

I kind of agree with an absolutely perfect single stroke roll would sound like an absolutely perfect paradiddle, double stroke etc etc. But it's impossible to have a double to sound like two singles as it's a different timbre, different mechanism of the human body, which in turn creates a different sound. Both rudiments providing different roles(!) and musical services. However, if you put the rhythm of a single and paradiddle into Sibelius or any other similar software, it would sound the same, even with the correct sticking per rudiment labelled.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Nice job, I just tried it. I can get to 155 but it is sloppy. My LH has always bounced wildly in comparison to my RH. I really need to make doubles and singles exercises a daily 5 minute routine going forward. Like Rick mentioned I can get by without being great at those but I know I have a lot of room for improvement that does not come close to perfection.
    Keep going, man. It'll feel great once you got it down! Keep working on the LH and let us know how you get on!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by __--byonin--__ View Post
    Of course, perfection is unobtainable, which I think is a good thing. If all of our playing was perfect, zero mistakes, that would make us robots with no character whatsoever. It's cliche, but the subtle imperfections is what makes us who we are and shapes us as people; as drummer/players.

I kind of agree with an absolutely perfect single stroke roll would sound like an absolutely perfect paradiddle, double stroke etc etc. But it's impossible to have a double to sound like two singles as it's a different timbre, different mechanism of the human body, which in turn creates a different sound. Both rudiments providing different roles(!) and musical services. However, if you put the rhythm of a single and paradiddle into Sibelius or any other similar software, it would sound the same, even with the correct sticking per rudiment labelled.
    It appears that we agree, to a point, on what I posted. You, coming from the direction of a schooled musician, and I come from the direction of someone who has never had a single lesson in my life.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS