Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re did my cymbal logos

User Info Menu

Default Re did my cymbal logos

The sabian cymbal cleaner I used was absolutely horrible and if a drop even touched the logo it would come off. I free handed the series and the Sabian logo. Haven’t got to the rings yet. Not sure what to do there. But it definitely looks better. Here’s a pic of the series and just the S done. More Pics to come.

4000B36B-9644-4B5F-B550-059C54C4DCC3.jpg
    34C8329E-5271-4C7D-8797-2700DA21A46D.jpg
    3EAF6B9B-F6A4-4089-B24C-0FC8B522B095.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Re did my cymbal logos

nice, what did you use?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Wouldn't it be cheaper and better just to send it back to Sabian and have them do it for $40 bucks?
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    nice, what did you use?
    A fine point sharpie and a ruler for straight parts of letters

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Wouldn't it be cheaper and better just to send it back to Sabian and have them do it for $40 bucks?
    You also have to pay for shipping, get a shipping label from them, and wait months. I sent a cymbal in for a warranty and they sent me the wrong one back. The one above actually. Not worth the headache.

You can’t beat free.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    A fine point sharpie and a ruler for straight parts of letters
    Nice, I wonder if a Paint pen (Liquitex Professional Fine Paint Marker) would work better but probably tough to keep it that straight? Have you used a sharpie before? How long does it last?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

wow that turned out great! Sharpie FTW!!

User Info Menu

Nice! Yep, free is always better, lol

User Info Menu

Very nice, but, begs the question......why?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Nice, I wonder if a Paint pen (Liquitex Professional Fine Paint Marker) would work better but probably tough to keep it that straight? Have you used a sharpie before? How long does it last?
    I did this before on an old b8 crash about 5 years ago. I used it for about a year or so and the logo still looks flawless.

The problem with those liquitex markers is that it might come off sooner than the permanent sharpie. Not sure though

I found that after wiping over the logo lightly with a cleaner gets rid of the glossy look and makes it look more like it was stamped.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Very nice, but, begs the question......why?

Why not?

-Mike

User Info Menu

Very cool idea! Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

What if you put a piece of clear tape over the logo, cut the letters out with an exact-o knife, then remove the tape sections over the letters? That would leave a stencil that you could paint or color over. Then just peel the stencil off once it’s colored in. Might be less teadious than going freehand with a ruler.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    What if you put a piece of clear tape over the logo, cut the letters out with an exact-o knife, then remove the tape sections over the letters? That would leave a stencil that you could paint or color over. Then just peel the stencil off once it’s colored in. Might be less teadious than going freehand with a ruler.
    That is a pretty good idea. The only part I have left are the rings and i’m not sure how to go about that. Cutting out a stencil is gonna take forever for that part.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Here’s the lettering done. If you look close you can see a little streaking on the letters on the far right. Nothing major at all. You need to look right in the light to see them. I enjoy free handing. These letters were all done that way.
    3A10BD93-4DA1-4BBF-8969-7453999C7711.jpg

-Mike

User Info Menu

see now that turned out GREAT

User Info Menu

Even if your putting tape over it and cutting out a stencil you are still in essence free handing. Ya have to be just as tedious and careful with an exacto knife as you do with a sharpie.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Sabian should pay you for your tedious marketing efforts.

I have two outstanding Zildjian "A" cymbals that long ago lost their stamp-logos from my cleaning routine.
    I have had them many years and they sound (to me) absolutely fantastic..................these two are in the category of "I'll never depart with them".
    They have no logo and I don't care.
    I have other (newer) cymbals that have logos and if they should get in the way of my cleaning routine and disappear, so be it.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Like Rick, I don't care one way or the other when it comes to cymbal logos, but I certainly understand those that do. You did a fantastic job on the lettering. I just don't have that kind of patience anymore.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

I have two outstanding Zildjian "A" cymbals that long ago lost their stamp-logos from my cleaning routine.
    I have had them many years and they sound (to me) absolutely fantastic..................these two are in the category of "I'll never depart with them".
    I have other (newer) cymbals that have logos and if they should get in the way of my cleaning routine and disappear, so be it.
    I feel the same way about them. In fact, I prefer them without logos.

But, you did a great job on those logos for sure and it seems to be a cheap and effective way to keep them from fading away ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 11-14-2018 at 07:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Looks awesome! Heck, it’s better than a lot of the ink stamp I’ve seen on Chinese made cymbals!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Looks awesome! Heck, it’s better than a lot of the ink stamp I’ve seen on Chinese made cymbals!
    Thanks Brian! You reminded me of an old Wuhan China I have. Took it out of the box, flipped it over and the label was half wiped off and dried.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    see now that turned out GREAT

Thank you Spaz! Was pretty fun to do

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

Personal preference. I have to wonder though how some guys remember what series cymbals they have.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Why not?
    Good point, I guess.