Thread: The Slingerland Concert Kings Saga - new heads

User Info Menu

Default The Slingerland Concert Kings Saga - new heads

Hope I can finally get some more pics posted. Something is causing my uploads here to run at a snail's pace.

I bought some heads to experiment with on these drums: a set of clear Emperors; set of G2 coated; and a set of G1 coated. The set responds beautifully to head variations. The various models produce exactly the results one would expect. Surprisingly, the cheap-looking clear Ambassador-weight factory heads work and sound just as good as the Ambassador clears as resos. So, what I've settled on at the time is a direct opposite of my "working" kit: bright, open, higher-pitched toms that resonate like crazy. That's the result of the coated G1s as batters and factory resos, except on the floor tom, which is fitted with one of the coated G2 batters.

I fitted the bass drum with a Remo clear Powerstroke batter, and a ported, coated Emperor reso. It has the same open ring that the toms exhibit, but I may have to give in to my preferred bit of muffling to gain some more "gated" impact and lower frequencies. The snare drum, naturally, is fitted with a coated Ambassador over a clear Diplomat reso. The snare is open, bright and ringy, but likes to be tuned high. Don't know if this snare is what I'll stay with. I'll just have to do some experimentation.

Because I play one up and two down, I've had to finagle the double tom mount to allow the ride tom to sit low and far to the left. This mount (resembling the DW sliding tom mount) sits too high, even when running two up, and interferes with the ride cymbal height, so I'm going to try to disassemble the mount and shorten the lower post. I'm thinking that I may be able to get another inch or two lower by doing so. I also installed one of two ride cymbal mounting brackets on the bass drum. The first one is for the ride, in the traditional spot. The other mount will likely go in a similar spot on the left side to accommodate a splash cymbal arm.

John has put aside another 16" floor tom for me, so that will complete the set for me. Unless, that is, I can't resist buying one of the super little 3-ply maple snares (with die cast hoops!) that he's selling for only $100 each. You can't buy the hoops for that price. (See them at the neamusic store on ebay. I feel my resistance lessening just writing about one!

So, let's see if I can post one or two pics. Pray for me!!!!!

GeeDeeEmm

Slingerland Drum Set and Cymbals 010.jpg

OK. Looks like one pic will be it. Took fifteen minutes to do just that one!

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Slingerland Concert Kings Saga - new heads

Let's try one more.

Slingerland Drum Set and Cymbals 005.jpg

Well - this one uploaded quickly. Let's try it again.

Slingerland Drum Set and Cymbals 008.jpg

Success! Only took about 15 seconds now. That's more like it!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Guys,
    In case you haven't seen it, here's the Slingerland 3-ply maple snare that John has listed for only $100! I'm having him reserve one for me. Too good a price to pass up, and the reviews have been quite good. 5.5 X 14 with cast hoops.

GeeDeeEmm

s-l64.jpg

User Info Menu

I wouldn’t cut up the factory mount. I’d buy a Gibraltar aftermarket one for $20 and cut IT up. Or buy a used mount on eBay.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I wouldn’t cut up the factory mount. I’d buy a Gibraltar aftermarket one for $20 and cut IT up. Or buy a used mount on eBay.
    I understand your apprehension, but, believe me, what I intend to do will not alter the useability of the mount at all. I have excess height adjustment whether used with double or single toms. I'm an experience metal worker, have the tools, and have undertaken projects like this before, and every time I did so, I actually improved functionality. I can easily lower it 2" - almost exactly what I need.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Yeah, that tom mount looks awful. What did you end up doing with it?

I think that’s one of the biggest single issues with both Slingerland and Gretsch drums. The drums are good but what in the world are they doing with these awful tom mounts?

User Info Menu

I bought a single Yamaha-style mount that will slide into the lower holder just right once I shorten it. Now I won't have to modify the original one. John Ollis says he has a Slingerland single tom mount that will work, too. I'll see it later on.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Good choice, Yamaha has the best hardware.

Post a pic when you get a chance, I’m interested to see what you did.

User Info Menu

yeah I love my Yamaha hardware.
    I just swapped out all the cymbal arms to Yamaha arms and replaced some old tom mounts.

Great looking kit