Thread: Black Beauty lug question.

User Info Menu

Default Black Beauty lug question.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Black Beauty in the next few weeks. But I have a question.

Other than looks, is there really any difference between the imperial lugs and the tube lugs?

I was also looking at the brass hardware but not a fan of the sound with the diecast hoops.
    Mapex Saturn V Blue Red Hybrid Sparkle 4 pc
    Ludwig 6.5 x14 Black Beauty
    Pearl Demon Drive double pedal
    Sabian 22" Paragon Ride
    Sabian 19" Paragon China
    Sabian 18" AAX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 18" HHX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 14" AAX Xlosion Hats
    Sabian 10" AAX Aero Splash
    Sabian XSR Fast Stax
    Wuhan 8" Splash

User Info Menu

Default Re: Black Beauty lug question.

I have the imperial lugs on my Black Beauty. I don't know about how the tube lugs affect sound, but I prefer the look of the imperial lugs. I do know that quite a few drummers remove the lug gaskets, as they claim better resonance without the gaskets.
    Last edited by thunderstruck; 11-19-2018 at 07:22 PM.

User Info Menu

In theory, the tube lugs have less mass and less material in contact with the shell. That’s supposed to equate to more shell resonance.
    ASSUMING it’s true...AND that it makes a difference you could actually hear...it’s still subjective to individual taste. More shell resonance may or may NOT be desirable.

The best sounding snare I’ve ever heard in person was a Supraphonic with Imperial lugs...that had a clear Pinstrip batter head, a big dent in the side and a hole punched in the side that you could slip a golf ball through. I was told the previous owner would pick it up and throw it across the stage as part of his band’s show.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I too have the Imperial lugs on my BB and also prefer the look of them to tube lugs. While there may be a difference in sound between the two, I doubt that I could tell the difference.

User Info Menu

Imperial lugs, tube lugs, scotch tape or 10 penny nails, the odds are good that it will, in fact, sound like a snare drum.

Point being, get the 1's you want, there won't be any difference in the sound that a normal human being can hear, maybe a dog, but that's about it.

I know people that can't tell the difference between a Piper Cub and a 767, so I wouldn't sweat a snare drum.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I like the look of imperial lugs
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Went with a 5x14 BB with Imperial lugs. Bought it before Ludwig started adding rubber gaskets underneath the lugs to help with tuning rod splay. Some Ludwig fanboys think the gaskets and the heavy Imperial lugs choke the shell. I think the only way to tell a difference is if you put your ear right against shell and gave it a hard "WHACK"

Last edited by late8; 01-17-2019 at 05:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    imperial lugs, tube lugs, scotch tape or 10 penny nails, the odds are good that it will, in fact, sound like a snare drum.
    lmao.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)