Thread: What? Can't Play The Drums?

User Info Menu

Default What? Can't Play The Drums?

Had a scary experience a couple of days ago. A couple of my relatives are living with us right now - in my former drum room. So, I haven't set behind a kit in many months. No worry. All my life, I've been able to take a break from playing and take up right where I left off.

So I set up the Slingerland kit I've posted about in my living room to take pics - and I couldn't play! I remembered all the licks and patterns, but I sounded like a beginner. Just six months or so ago, I'd performed with my H.S. band and didn't miss a beat. But, this time I couldn't.

That was as depressing and scary to me as having heart attacks. So this how it's going to be? I guess age is forcing me to realize that if I want to keep any of my hobbies alive, I will have to return to practicing. This is very upsetting and disorienting. Sixty-five years and the skills I've taken for granted all this time are now not simply natural to me anymore. Just a bad day? Don't know.

It's not all bad, though. Over the last two years I've become extremely lazy and out of shape. Maybe this little shocker will be enough to lead me to take exercise and practice seriously. Out comes the practice pad. And a gym membership? It's all too sad to consider. I'm not a gym kind of guy.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Default Re: What? Can't Play The Drums?

GD, playing drums is like riding a bike and getting a divorce. Once you do either 1, you never forget.

You are just going through a bad spell. If you let it bother you, it will last longer. If you sit down and play (which you know you can) the "bad spell" will be gone in 10 minutes.

There have been times where I haven't touched my drums for 5-6 weeks, and when I do play, it's like I hadn't played in a day or so.

This ain't rocket science, it's hitting things with sticks. Pick up your sticks, sit down behind your drums, get a picture in your mind of the ape at the beginning of 2001, a space something or other, and beat the hell out of them. It will all come back.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I find that as you get older.......time off from doing anything sets you back more than it did when you took time off from something when you were younger. It's just a fact of life I suppose.

User Info Menu

It’s a mind thing. Like Rick said, don’t dwell on it or it will just last longer. It even happens to guitar players.

Even playing (almost) every weekend, I have gigs when it happens to me. I just sit back in the pocket and play as little and simple as I can. The key is to clear your mind and let the music take over. I’ll drink a couple beers, relax and let my mind clear. Usually by the second set it’s back to normal.

You’ll be fine. You just have too much rolling around in your head right now.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 11-18-2018 at 09:43 AM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys, for all the support.

And N2's comment, "You just have too much rolling around in your head right now," hits home. The last year has been one of the most stressful of my life.

And, you're all right. It'll pass.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Pick up your sticks, sit down behind your drums, get a picture in your mind of the ape at the beginning of 2001.

"our forefathers"...……………………..funny scene.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

With age comes a few challenges but yeah, like Rick said, just jump back into it. We all have those days.

User Info Menu

That's 2 for me. Are you trying to tell me that I'm right? Damn, that's a shock.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I've been traveling in a 45' motor home for going on 2 years have a snare and 3 toms that I set up once a month and wail on until the camp rangers tell me to stop.

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js218 View Post
    I've been traveling in a 45' motor home for going on 2 years have a snare and 3 toms that I set up once a month and wail on until the camp rangers tell me to stop.

Jim
    Jim, now THAT is dedication to playing the drums! My wife wants to do the traveling thing once she retires next year, but being away from my space-hogging hobbies is going to be rough. I'd rather stay home!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Currently at Redwood National Park in California basically have the campground to ourselves so been banging away for an hour a day, rangers are cool about long as I don't play at night.

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Currently at Redwood National Park in California basically have the campground to ourselves so been banging away for an hour a day, rangers are cool about long as I don't play at night.

Jim
    Ya know... it’s rumored that Sasquatch like to beat on hollow logs to communicate. Your in their back yard. Be careful when beating your drums that you don’t accidentally communicate something that you’ll regret, LOL.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Ya know... it’s rumored that Sasquatch like to beat on hollow logs to communicate. Your in their back yard. Be careful when beating your drums that you don’t accidentally communicate something that you’ll regret, LOL.
    The tom beat you are playing might say that Sasquatch's wife has a fat butt and she smells. You could find yourself in the same situation as the guy in the bathroom in the 1st Jurassic Park.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Yeah I'll keep an eye out for Sasquatch, you guys are hilarious.

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

That's why they paid us the big bucks.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    The tom beat you are playing might say that Sasquatch's wife has a fat butt and she smells. You could find yourself in the same situation as the guy in the bathroom in the 1st Jurassic Park.
    On the other hand; if Mr Sasquatch has been married to Mrs Sasquatch for very long, there’s a good chance he won’t care. He’ll be out hiding from her, eating fermented wild plums with his other Squatch buddies and be like, “see guys, even the human agrees”. In which case, it would probably be Mrs Squatch that you need to watch out for.
    I suspect it’s part of the reason that he’s so elusive and talented at running and hiding...imagine having a wife that’s 8’ tall, 600Lbs and can break small trees in half.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

"imagine having a wife that’s 8’ tall, 600Lbs and can break small trees in half."

My friend has 1 of them. If they want to go for a ride, he has to rent a U-Haul.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Maybe I'll feed the Sasquatch some thanksgiving dinner, heading out Monday to visit family in Catula Geogia. Enjoy the holiday guys ....

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Maybe I'll feed the Sasquatch some thanksgiving dinner, heading out Monday to visit family in Catula Geogia. Enjoy the holiday guys ....

Jim
    Be careful in Georgia. They got Sasquatch down there too, but they call ‘em Swamp Apes.....

We got ‘em here in Nebraska too, but we call ‘em “Bass Players”...
    -Brian

User Info Menu

We had them in Jersey, we called them "wives".

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Pat Patterson is the man who filmed the best Bigfoot video every millisecond has been disected and still nobody can explain it.

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

If it walks like a duck, squawks like a duck, it must be Bigfoot.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Lol him and his girlfriend are out there somewhere roasting a buffalo today
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Grilling a turkey and barbecuing a ham no sign of Sasquatch, but will have 2 rangers over for some grub and a couple of shots of Glenlivet...... Happy thanksgiving to all....

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

This is a great one, one of the Rangers says his mom is from Folcroft Pa., turns out my wife went to school with his mother way back in the 60's, had a great time for thanksgiving an yeah its a small world.
    Premier XPK Drums
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Ahead Drum Cases