Thread: NEW Slingerland Maple Snares with Die Cast Hoops - $100 !!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Default NEW Slingerland Maple Snares with Die Cast Hoops - $100 !!!!!!!

Guys,

Just a reminder - before they are all gone - that John Ollis has brand new Slingerland Maple 5.5 X 14 snares with die-cast hoops on sale for only $100. That's a steal, in the truest sense of the word. UPS tried to deliver mine yesterday - and I was at home - but they failed to honk or even ring the doorbell. Maybe Monday.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Slingerland...72.m2749.l2649

As of last week, he had sold over half of the original stock of 150 drums. Don't miss out. The cast hoops alone are worth the price.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Default Re: NEW Slingerland Maple Snares with Die Cast Hoops - $100 !!!!!!!

holy crap that is a great deal! And I have no Slingerland in my collection.
    12pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (23pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 8pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 4pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini | 50 Snare drums and growing!

User Info Menu

Who built these snares.Did someone buy rights to the name and release these as Slingerland,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Who built these snares.Did someone buy rights to the name and release these as Slingerland,
    Nope - they were built by Slingerland under Gibson ownership. These particular snares were part of their import line, and the materials and workmanship is first class. The hoops, lugs, and all other parts except the shell are exactly the same as the US (Conway) Slingerlands (which, like almost every modern drum on the planet, were equipped with oriental hard parts. Practically NONE of the hardware found on modern US kits - regardless of brand - is made in the US. When a modern kit is called "Made in the USA," that typically means a US-sourced shell assembled with off-shore hardware. This is almost without exception.) I've been told that the shells are made from USA maple - three ply. Somebody else will have to confirm or deny this.

The Slingerland history is tangled a bit, but, in essence, the name is still held by Gibson, and is for sale as part of Gibson's bankruptcy proceedings. John Ollis and company, of Jonesboro, Arkansas, bought the several warehouses of remaining Gibson/Slingerland/Tobias/Baldwin/Wurlitzer holdings from the Conway, Arkansas operation. John is a musician, and a special fan of Slingerland Drums. He has several warehouses full of import and USA-Conway Slingerland drum sets, individual drums, all parts necessary to manufacture USA Slingerlands, as well as individual Slingerland-USA drums from other eras of the company's history. Walking through those warehouses is like strolling through a drummer's fantasy world. Every box I opened brought on a "Whoa!" moment for me. And John is just as enthusiastic as I am.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Based on the pics, they look pretty thick to be 3ply. That would be abnormally thin for a snare, wouldn’t it? Aren’t most snare (without re-rings) typically 8 or 10ply?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm aware of where drum hardware is made. Not trying to be overly critical but these snares were made by Gibson and labelled Slingerland as Gibson owned the name. They are reputed to be 10 ply Keller maple shells.
    I'm sure they work and are worth about what they're charging, but thinking you're getting an actual Slingerland shell is almost like buying a Yamaha Rogers drum. Albeit Keller is USA, as far as I know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    I'm aware of where drum hardware is made. Not trying to be overly critical but these snares were made by Gibson and labelled Slingerland as Gibson owned the name. They are reputed to be 10 ply Keller maple shells.
    I'm sure they work and are worth about what they're charging, but thinking you're getting an actual Slingerland shell is almost like buying a Yamaha Rogers drum. Albeit Keller is USA, as far as I know.
    Just curious - exactly what is "an actual Slingerland shell" ??????????? Not being a smarty pants, just don't know what you mean by that.

Stone Custom Drums makes their shells on the original Slingerland shell die using modern maple, and equip those sets with exact copies of Slingerland hard parts and oval badges. Are those "actual Slingerland shells" ?

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

From what I've read, the Slingerland drums built in Conway, Arkansas under Gibson's ownership are made with Keller 10 ply shells. That doesn't make them bad by any means... but it's not Slingerland. The actual Slingerland company folded in the 70s. The name was bought by multiple owners before eventually being bought by Gretsch then sold to Gibson in 1994 who pretty much killed the name by forcing dealers to sell their guitars as well.
    The Nashville and Conway Slingerlands were made under Gibson ownership. Of the two, Nashville were considered superior to the Conways. I've heard (and played a) Nashville model and was very impressed. I'm not sure what these $100 snares are but they were not made in Illinois by the Slingerland builders. The remaining crew of builders was replaced by Gibson sometime during the Nash/Con era. Sorry, I can't remember exactly when.
    The heyday was pre 1970 when the family owned the company. Nashvilles were very good. Anything Conway or after are generic.
    All that said, for $100 how can you go wrong?

User Info Menu

The only way you could go wrong is if the UPS guy loses it during shipment, LOL.
    Even if the shell is destroyed, the hoops are worth $100...as long as they’re still in the box.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Hopefully the hoops are well made. I've seen some pretty shabbily made hoops in my day.

User Info Menu

Got mine yesterday. The quality overall is quite good. Solid three-ply shells, great chrome quality, excellent finish quality. No fanciness at all, just a nice, solid little snare that tunes up like a breeze and sounds - like a snare. I like it. Wish I could afford another one to cover in WMP.

GeeDeeEmm