Thread: A Drum Solo That Keeps Me Interested

User Info Menu

Default A Drum Solo That Keeps Me Interested

We all know that today's crop of drummers contains some of the most proficient, technically-trained individuals that we've ever seen. All day long we can watch videos of blazing drum solos that in past ages would have marked that drummer as one of the "Best Of . . . ." Honestly, these guys are so far above my head that I'd literally have to start over in order to reach their level.

But there is a sort of "sameness" that hovers over almost all of these super-drummers - almost as if they've all been trained by the same teachers and watched the same videos. This does not diminish their skills or my admiration for them at all. I still retain my awe at their abilities.

So, it is a special day when I run across a drummer whose solo style departs from the others. That's what drew my attention to Mr. Patrik Benek. In the following video, Benek is demonstrating a classic 1978 Tama Imperial Star kit - and at the same time making a fine statement of his own individual Rock-Style form of soloing. I think his style is in a much different vein from what we usually hear, and, I think, a style that probably more closely appeals to those of us with strictly rock-and-roll sensibilities, with practically no influence from the jazz-inspired forms of others.

Maybe I'm hearing something that is specific to me, but I don't think so. What do you think?

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Default Re: A Drum Solo That Keeps Me Interested

Sorry GDM but this is basically the same drumming that I've heard for decades from various drummers.

That is why, if I want to listen to "better" drummers, I'll go to Buddy or (surprise) Davikah. Buddy is Buddy, the greatest big band drummer ever. As for small groups, (quartets, septets, etc.) that was never his "thing". Put him in Brubek or MJQ and it wouldn't work.

Davikah is a different story. She plays with songs that drummers playing 20 years couldn't touch. As for pure drum playing ability, she would blow him out of the water in about 2 minutes.

I really wish I could say that I hear what you hear, but, after playing in groups 1 way or the other for 55 years, I didn't hear anything distinctive about his playing.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

With all due respect to the gentleman, his style and chops are ancient, predictable and (for me) boring. But hey, if you like it, that's all that matters. It reminds me of when I was in the dating world. You see all different types of people and realize that there's someone for everyone. That's what makes this world great isn't it?

User Info Menu

"That's what makes this world great isn't it?"

I always thought it was Kate Beckinsale, Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams, Gal Gadot, Charlize Theron, Johnny Walker and Mustangs.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Ahh! So you guys DO hear what I'm hearing, you just don't think it's impressive. But your thoughts that his style is "ancient (and) predictable," and is "basically the same drumming that I've heard for decades" reflect the basic point of my post - it is a solidly-performed homogenization of the classic rock style - fun, achievable by most, and a happy display of the energy, instinct, and power that makes rock drumming so appealing to so many.

And that's not to mention the appeal that this style has for non-drummer audiences. It is instinctive, universal in appeal, and exhibits the near-primal sense of rhythm that lives in us all - naked, unadorned, and unembellished. Well . . . maybe a BIT embellished!

Sometimes, that's what it takes to scratch my itch. I think Patrik Benek does that quite well in this performance.

GeeDeeEmm
    Last edited by gdmoore28; 12-03-2018 at 06:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Very cool. I can tell he’s a bonham fan lol. If you’re looking for some cool solos you should check out this video of Thomas Lang. Incredible drummer
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I'll spot him the double bass and give him 7 points.

Mike, what exactly reminded you of John Bohnam. I was not a Bohnam fan, but know enough about the man's drumming to have not heard 1 thing in Lang's playing that made me think of JB. If anything, he was closer to the guy GDM put up.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I think in any solo there's always at least ONE thing that grabs my attention no matter how basic or bad@$$ that solo may be.
    And that's what I love about all solos. They maybe copying things they've heard from others but there's usually always at least one thing they came up with on their own that you'll replicate and then duplicate and share.

User Info Menu

I came up with a lot of different things. Of course that's not counting the fact that everything I ever played I stole from somebody.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I'll spot him the double bass and give him 7 points.

Mike, what exactly reminded you of John Bohnam. I was not a Bohnam fan, but know enough about the man's drumming to have not heard 1 thing in Lang's playing that made me think of JB. If anything, he was closer to the guy GDM put up.
    I meant the vid GDM put up lol
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Ahh! So you guys DO hear what I'm hearing, you just don't think it's impressive. But your thoughts that his style is "ancient (and) predictable," and is "basically the same drumming that I've heard for decades" reflect the basic point of my post - it is a solidly-performed homogenization of the classic rock style - fun, achievable by most, and a happy display of the energy, instinct, and power that makes rock drumming so appealing to so many.

And that's not to mention the appeal that this style has for non-drummer audiences. It is instinctive, universal in appeal, and exhibits the near-primal sense of rhythm that lives in us all - naked, unadorned, and unembellished. Well . . . maybe a BIT embellished!

Sometimes, that's what it takes to scratch my itch. I think Patrik Benek does that quite well in this performance.

GeeDeeEmm
    Got a little philosophical on that. Seldom hear that when someone is talking about drums.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Got a little philosophical on that. Seldom hear that when someone is talking about drums.
    Sometimes it's just easier to pour on the BS than to say something logical and meaningful.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Sometimes it's just easier to pour on the BS than to say something logical and meaningful.

GeeDeeEmm
    GDM, I've been doing that on DC since I joined 7 years ago. BS is so much easier to come up with a reason why playing paradiddles 6 hours a day is a waste of time.

Isn't logical AND meaningful a oxymoron?????
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 12-05-2018 at 05:51 PM. Reason: =====

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I resemble that remark!

GeeDeeEmm