Thread: Show me your offset 2 up set up's

User Info Menu

Default Show me your offset 2 up set up's

I just bought a Saturn with Virgin Kick and am trying hard not to buy the rack tom mount that attaches to the bass drum but am having a hard time with placement. I have it set up now offset 2 up 1 down but the hi hat placement feels weird as well as my crash cymbal that is usually above my 2nd rack tom that is now over the ride cymbal feels and looks awkward. Not too mention I have no idea where to put my cowbell which in a traditional 2 up on Bass drum set up is usually just above my snare.

Also do you guys usually set up your practice kit the same way as your gigging kit? If I was to stay with this offset 2 up set up then I would need to alter my traditional set up on my gigging kit as well and not sure it would be as easy.

Some advantages I have noticed about offset set up's are the 2 rack toms are centered above the snare which I like and I now have the bass drum facing to my right more plus my feet and hips feel a little better posture wise. Having the ride cymbal down a little lower and close to me is a small advantage but also makes it a little harder for me to crash on it.

Disadvantages I have noticed so far are although I am less one cymbal stand the rack tom/cymbal stand combo is much heavier than just adding one more cymbal stand, the hi hat seems to far to my left and my 2nd crash is either too far away on my right or looks like crap out in front of my bass drum.

I will post pics tonight of the way I have it set up at the moment but would love to see your pics as well as your thoughts or suggestions. I have about 5 weeks till next gig so trying to get this straightened out one way or the other soon.

Drumwhipper I like the look of your armory set up and would love to see a few more angles of it.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Show me your offset 2 up set up's

Here's my Pork Pie... I did sneak an 8" in also

User Info Menu

Thanks Spaz, do you gig often (3x month or more) with that set up? Do you have a view from drivers seat? BTW are those just blankets on your walls behind the kit?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I normally gig 1 up 2 down, but, when I do go 2 up it looks like this for both practice and gigging.
    IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Thanks Spaz, do you gig often (3x month or more) with that set up? Do you have a view from drivers seat? BTW are those just blankets on your walls behind the kit?
    I gig with a different kit. The other kit is a 1 up 2 down.
    I have taken this kit out twice though

The blankets on the wall are actual sound dampening blankets. I use to have them hanging in my studio.
    They make a HUGE difference..

Here's an older photo from when I did take it out. (I didn't take the 8")

User Info Menu

Here's one when I did take the 8" to a gig

User Info Menu

Didn't think anyone used Photobucket anymore.

User Info Menu

Hey, Kev let's see your Mapex! lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Hey, Kev let's see your Mapex! lol.
    Patience pet
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Ok, Kit cleaned, tuned & roughly set up. Waiting for the front logo to arrive & will then put the band decal on also. Crappy pics so I apologise.

fullsizeoutput_dda by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_dd9 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_dd7 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_dd8 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

I am getting more comfortable with it but still think I am just going to order the bd mounted rack tom attachment. I would have to change my gigging kit to match this plus I think eliminating the one cymbal stand is not worth the added weight of the rack tom/cymbal stand. But not sure yet what I will do. I have a little time to mull it over

set up.jpg
    set1.jpg
    setup2.jpg
    setup3.jpg
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I really struggled with offset config. Hi hats are way too far away and my pedals are too far apart. Couldn’t get the crashes where I wanted either. I’ve always gone back to 1 up 2 down.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Here's one when I did take the 8" to a gig
    Your pedal setup looks tight! The only way I think I could play 2 up comfortably is if I used 8 & 10 toms.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I really struggled with offset config. Hi-hats are way too far away and my pedals are too far apart. Couldn’t get the crashes where I wanted either. I’ve always gone back to 1 up 2 down.
    What I'm experimenting around with is putting the Hi-Hat more to the front to avoid right over the left-hand crossover. I can play open handed but not that well lol. I'm loving the configuration a lot, of course, it helps using a remote Hi-Hat! lol.DSC01807.jpgDSC01830.jpg

User Info Menu

Awesome! I love the older Saturns and Orions! they had the best tom mounts! Mapex should have stuck with those mounts! Re: Kev's Mapex.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 12-05-2018 at 04:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Awesome! I love the older Saturns and Orions! they had the best tom mounts! Mapex should have stuck with those mounts! Re: Kev's Mapex.
    Cheers. After bashing about on this yesterday I really beginning to like it. Even though the toms are small compared to what I am used to, They sing
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

-Mike

User Info Menu

I'm late to the party...

User Info Menu

Great looking kit late8.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Great looking kit late8.
    Thanks Marc.