Thread: Buying an additional snare drum

User Info Menu

Default Buying an additional snare drum

I am building a home studio recording. Recently I bought a late 80's MIT Pearl All Maple Shell drum kit. 3 toms, 1 floor tom and a kick. I also have bought a Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite Snare drum. Now I am looking for a good versatile wooden snare for the studio. Preferably €400 or less. Would spend a bit more if it would be that much better.

What snare would you recommend?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buying an additional snare drum

Tons of wood snares out there.
    Pearl MCX ,free floating used are easily under your budget.
    Lot's of DW (10&6)comes to mind.
    Tama SLP stuff.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I have said this many times in here.
    The 13x7 Tama G-Maple SLP is seriously one of the TOP wood snares out there at a great price!
    And I will NEVER sell it from my collection if that helps any, coming from a guy with over 53 snares

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I have said this many times in here.
    The 13x7 Tama G-Maple SLP is seriously one of the TOP wood snares out there at a great price!
    And I will NEVER sell it from my collection if that helps any, coming from a guy with over 53 snares
    Next up after a full size wooden snare, would be a piccolo. So I might have already found what I need, the 13x7 Tama. I've seen a couple for sale and they are at a very reasonable price.

What do you think of the Mapex Black Panther Black Widow snare?

User Info Menu

I haven't tried the Black Widow.. but I do have the Black Panther Sledgehammer and OMG it's a BEAST! Heavy and LOUD.

User Info Menu

53 snares is the required amount of snares as prescribed by the "We got him to buy another 1" Association of America.

This is, of course, in case 1 breaks down on the side of the road.

As the guy on TV says "What's left in your wallet?"
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ex351d View Post
    Next up after a full-size wooden snare, would be a piccolo. So I might have already found what I need, the 13x7 Tama. I've seen a couple for sale and they are at a very reasonable price.

What do you think of the Mapex Black Panther Black Widow snare?
    I have the 13X7 Black Panther maple snare and I like it. Though I need to dial it in more. The G-Maple is my baby right now. Used it last night at band practice.DSC01609.jpgDSC01858.jpg

User Info Menu

FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Have the 13x7 G-Maple & have to say it is an incredible snare. Have used it constantly for the past 3 years now. Have just this morning, purchased a 13x7 Black Panther Blaster as that will go nicely with my Walnut Saturn kit I am just toying with
    The Varukers.