Thread: Great Story -- Great Photo

User Info Menu

Default Great Story -- Great Photo

Back in 1970, I was living in Dallas and I had a friend that gave me a ticket to go see a concert with he and his brother.
    The three of us arrived at the venue and we had seats in the balcony.
    I noticed three seats in the middle of the floor section that were not occupied...................since it was so close to show-time, we decided to take those seats.
    If we got kicked out of those, we could always go back to our seats in the balcony.

So here we are sitting in the floor area like we owned the place and this guy comes over and says to us................."hey guys, we need these seats for some equipment -- come down to the front and we will set you up some seats in front of the front row".

Sure enough -- we follow the guy down front and they bring out three new folding chairs and set us up right in front like we were VIP.
    I had never heard of the new band out of Houston but my friend had told me he saw them down there and that they were really good.

The band came out and played an awesome hour-and-a-half set -- their name was ZZ Top -- a few months later their debut album would be for sale in the record shops.
    I recognized the bass player as a guy I had seen in the Dallas Cellar club a few times -- he played for a band called American Blues and his name was Dusty Hill.
    His brother played guitar for that same band and his name was Rocky Hill. When I saw them, Beard was not the drummer but I understand that he too played gigs with American Blues.

Check out the early ZZ photo below; this is about the time I saw them at the concert....................

2c2dd198f7c69239ca1585aaa23f9ff6[1].jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Great Story -- Great Photo

Cool story.

I had a similar experience with another band way back when. Some friends and I went check out this upcoming guitar player at a local tavern in my home town. The place probably held 150 people max. Watched a great show from side stage and hung out with the band. Guitar player was Stevie Ray Vaughn ...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Great Story -- Great Photo

That's awesome! History my friend, history.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals