Thread: And Speaking of Football...........

User Info Menu

Default And Speaking of Football...........

I totally get the benefit of learning rudiments, of playing in a marching band and learning the correct sticking patterns, sticking height, the discipline of the drill -- all of that.
    But tell me -- when did marching bands switch over to these high-tension snares and Kevlar heads that sound like total crap ?

When I was in school we used traditional lower-pitched (Ludwig) parade drums and big bass drums and both sounded great to me -- what I would call "normal".
    In my high school during football season, on Friday afternoon during last period, the drum corps would march down our school hallways to get your spirit going, to get your attention toward the upcoming football game............we had three bass drums and 7 or 8 traditional parade snare drums.............and in those hallways, it sounded magical.

These modern marching snare drums are not inexpensive (for the good ones) but to me they don't sound any better than a cheapy popcorn snare.
    Maybe the sound equipment at today's football games isn't helpful to the cause................the reproduction of the modern marching drum sound to the TV camera audio (?).
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: And Speaking of Football...........

We used the Slingerland Chrome over maple TDR marching snares and marched down the halls to the pep rally as well. I believe the move to those snares started sometime in the 80s ...

Edit: I too used to love the sound of the drums in the halls. Everyone would rush and crowd the doors watching as we passed ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 12-12-2018 at 11:39 AM.

User Info Menu

It seems somewhere someone figured their drum corp needed more volume to fill their stadium.

Someone i suppose figured out bigger sticks gave more volume but they needed stronger heads too..
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

The parade style drums we used were loud enough when played with the 3S marching sticks. We used Ludwig silver dots on our snares and they were durable enough. But the drums were heavy and the old style sling and thigh brace system was awkward.

I remember when the tri tom and bass drum shoulder mount system was introduced for tenor and snare drums which was much better. It was only natural that lighter drums and durable heads would follow.

After my HS graduation in '79, I was offered a music scholarship to a local university and their drum line was just starting to use shoulder mounts and lighter, higher pitched snares (yamaha I believe). I believe the Kevlar heads were introduced later as a cost saving measure but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by dangermoney; 12-12-2018 at 03:15 PM.

User Info Menu

The ear bleeding crack of a rimshot on a marching snare today is just bone chilling....

To me it sounds like playing on a table.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    But tell me -- when did marching bands switch over to these high-tension snares and Kevlar heads that sound like total crap ?
    I was curious so I did some basic research on your question.

It appears that in drum corps "The Great Transition" took place in the late 80's and early 90's as Kevlar heads came into wide use, followed by the high tension, free floating snares built to take advantage of them.

The reason for Kevlar over Mylar was initially durability (and hence expense) as a D1 level drum corps would cycle through Kevlar heads in several days during summer practice alone. One can imagine how long Mylar would last them. Since the Kevlar heads would last longer, it was cheaper to equip the drum lines with it vs Mylar.

The reasons for the high tension of Kevlar appears to be articulation and projection. DCI competition is so close that the judges have to be able to hear every little 'tap' at distance in order to determine the proper scores.

User Info Menu

Never have liked how those drums sound.

User Info Menu

Don't mean to hijack but my only question is WTH is maroon 5? Sounds like a dud halftime to me

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...45063569137151
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Don't mean to hijack but my only question is WTH is maroon 5? Sounds like a dud halftime to me

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...45063569137151
    I read that there is an online petition asking for them to drop out of the show and to add insult to injury, they are unable to line up guest performers lol ...

User Info Menu

These "performing, non musicians" may be trying to cash in and asking for too much .... just get Timberlake again or Mars that's their go to people... aren't they.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I graduated high school in 1969. The last year we got a new line of Slingerland marching drums, blue sparkle, wooden shells, nylon snares(for a gut sound). Prior to that, we were using old(from the '40s) single tension marching drums, some had wire snares, some had gut snares. Calfskin heads. Wooden rims, a knob to tension the snares, no throw offs. We could make them sound fine if the weather cooperated.

The use of Kevlar heads...I know why it happens, but the "sound" is just abysmal, IMO. A trend that metastisized and ruined the sound of drumlines. I like the hangers, but not sure about all the quads, bass drums, etc.

I'm a tradionalist stick in the mud in some ways, but I say if that Kevlar thingie and all of the bongos, quads, etc. floats your boat, well have at it. Not my bag.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    The reason for Kevlar over Mylar was initially durability (and hence expense) as a D1 level drum corps would cycle through Kevlar heads in several days during summer practice alone. One can imagine how long Mylar would last them. Since the Kevlar heads would last longer, it was cheaper to equip the drum lines with it vs Mylar.

If they want durability and less worry over expense, they could use those heavy-duty plastic buckets (like street drummers use) and get a better sound.

Quote Originally Posted by trommel View Post
    The use of Kevlar heads...I know why it happens, but the "sound" is just abysmal, IMO. A trend that metastisized and ruined the sound of drumlines. I like the hangers, but not sure about all the quads, bass drums, etc. I'm a tradionalist stick in the mud in some ways, but I say if that Kevlar thingie and all of the bongos, quads, etc. floats your boat, well have at it. Not my bag.
    ^ What he said...….
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)